“Great getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Inn

Save Saved
You added Sherwood Inn to your Saves list
Sherwood Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1090 Sherwood Road, Port Carling, Ontario P0B1J0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Port Carling
Ontario
“Great getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

My husband booked 2 nites for us as an anniversary gift to me.
We'd read the reviews on here & hoped for a positive experience.
Well we got that & more! Shortly after check-in we had lunch in the dining room. Food was FANTASTIC! I had a cheddar cheese burger w/fries, my husband had the chili & we shared a caesar salad to start. The croutons in the salad were awesome! Jenn was our server & she was great. After lunch we went to Amba Spa for a facial & massage. This was the only disappointing part of our entire stay. The facial was "okay", the massage was AWFUL. I am a former Registered Massage Therapist so my expectations were high - the massage was way too rough (my skin actually hurt that evening!) & there was no rhythm or flow whatsoever. I should've said something but didn't ... the almost $400 bill for the services was hard to swallow!!!!!
After the spa, we retreated back to our room for a bit before dinner that evening. We were the only guests at the hotel that 1st nite & therefore the only guests in the dining room. Some places might make you feel unwelcome but the staff here did just the opposite. Our server, Cheryl, was super friendly & knowledgeable. I ordered the sable fish & my husband had the lamb - both dishes were divine!!!!! The young chef, Giles (or Gilles) came out to our table as we were finishing dessert & chatted w/us for a few minutes. We own a restaurant & they all said they'd try to make the trek north to try our restaurant this spring - we sure hope to see them there!!!
We had breakfast in the dining room on the 1st morning - eggs benedict & pancakes - both were very very tasty altho I thought the pancakes could've been hotter!
We went in to Port Carling to Tapps Cottage Eatery on the 2nd nite, had fish & chips & wings - very tasty w/great service. The 2nd morning we ate in our room (we had brought some yogurt, fruit, juice & muffins w/us) & then checked out.
We would definitely recommend this inn to anyone!!! The room was clean & well-appointed & we were very comfortable. There IS a hot tub on the premises even tho there's no mention of it on their website so if you like hot tubs, bring your bathing suit!!!!!
We hope to go back some day w/our boys :)

• Liked — friendliness of all staff/accomodations
  • Disliked — spa treatments - overpriced & mediocre at best
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed at this resort last week for 3 nights. We visited the resort 10 years ago; my sister and her husband had stayed there in 1997 and had raved about it, so a year later we dropped by to check it out and were suitably impressed. We promised ourselves that one day we too would stay there when we could afford it ... Well that happened last week and what a disappointment. Since Delta (under the auspices of Clublink Canada) have taken over, it's become so run down, just not the same when it was privately owned.

We stayed in a run down, shabby one bedroom cottage on the lake called "Birchwood" west. I am still shaking my head at what we found - at least the bed was very comfortable but the rest, well ... and as for the food, we ate in for the first night expecting gourmet dining. Not so and very, very expensive, rivalling prices of some of the top dining places in Toronto where I have eaten very well for the same money e.g. Truffles at the Four Seasons, Bistro 990 etc.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — run down old cottage
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed at your Inn as a guest of a wedding party and were extremely pleased with everything. Our room was very clean and fresh and the service was fabulous. Our favorite, I feel, was the food. It was the best "Soup" as well as steak and vegetables I have ever tasted and am searching for the recipe.

Thank you for such an enjoyable stay.

Stayed April 2008
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed here for two nights as a winter getaway and the experience was wonderful; I would definitely recommend this hotel, and we plan to visit again in the summer.

We chose the Sherwood because it's one of the few hotels in the area that allows dogs. We stayed in the newer Maplewood building, which was clean and in good repair. Our room was very pleasant, with a wood-burning fireplace and a jacuzzi. It also had a balcony overlooking the lake which would be really nice in the summer.

They have 10 km of snowshoeing/cross-country skiing trails on the property, and they have snowshoes and skis you can borrow for free. We had a lot of fun snowshoeing on the trails with our dog.

We were on the meal plan so we had two breakfasts and two dinners at the inn -- the dinners were really excellent, and reason enough to go back. They were on par with some of the best restaurants in Toronto. (Though with more generous portions!)

The only minor quibbles we had were that our room was not made up on Saturday -- even though we were gone for 5 and a half hours, and the hotel wasn't very busy, so it's not like they didn't have a chance to do it. They actually left us a message in the afternoon telling us to call them if we wanted the room cleaned -- apparently you have to request your room to be made up? Sort of bizarre. Of course, we were out during the day so we didn't get the message. And one woman at the front desk was really a sourpuss, not friendly at all -- but everyone else who worked there was so friendly and helpful that they made up for her bad attitude.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will probably return in summer.

• Liked — Food, location, room amenities
  • Disliked — Spotty service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Let me preface this review by saying that the Delta Sherwood has great potential. I could see that it was once a grand old lodge with character and charm. I had visions of an elderly old couple that had spent their life there decorating the walls with years of pictures and memories that spoke of the grand old days in the Muskokas. Perhaps even the years of pipe smoke, dark wood and great fishing tales spun around campfires would whisper of their present day renaissance. Sadly this was not the case. This is a resort style Hotel run by a large American Hotel Chain. It left me feeling like Disneyland done badly.

Now I might be a bit scathing because I’ve stayed in many of Delta’s hotels throughout North America and know what standards they can live up to. And for the $300 per night and a average Dinner bill of $150 per couple, I believe it’s very reasonable to expect a little grace.

The list of highlights was short:

- View of the Lake Joesph with the fall colours from the Maplewood cottage balconies.

- Sitting on the boat dock day dreaming of what life would be like to own a cottage on such a beautiful lake.

The list of shortcomings was longer:

We stayed in the Maplewood cottage on the second floor.

The room was spacious and well laid out, but the place was in need of maintenance:

- The balconies were nice a private but were desperate for a good sanding and a coat of stain.

- The generous whirlpool bathtub took about 20 minutes to fill up (low water flow In the tub taps) and had cracks in the caulking where black mould had firmly taken root.

- The coffee provided tasted like they had stolen it from the local penitentiary. At best it was warm and brown. How much extra would it be to set up a contract with Starbucks, Seattle’s Best or good old Tim Horton’s to give a guest a nice cup of Joe in the morning to appreciate the sun rise?

- The remote control on the television set was held together with black electrical tape.

- The so called King size bed was actually 2 singles (including lovely matching single headboards) pushed together and held there with a King Sheet set. Now if you are not into snuggling with your partner, this may suit you perfectly. In my case, I had the privilege of sucking it up in the hopes that my 6 foot frame would be less likely to disappear in the mattress crack.

- The construction of the walls was definitely residential. We heard the child above us doing laps back and forth and the walls were so thin the neighbours conversations and morning frolic were acute. No need for my sturdy alarm clock I guess.

The dining room was a disappointment.

- The ambiance was poor. It had the romantic flair of a festive old folk’s home. Now I might have been slightly biased due to being seated at the fire exit. I amused myself by thinking that in the case of emergency, the lucky couple in these seats would have the fun of throwing open the doors and tossing the table outside so dining room patrons could safely egress.

- The service in the dining room was variable. Our server clearly had better things to do than be attentive. But to the credit of the other staff members, there were several tables that were well attended as I looked on jealously.

- The food was on par with an average GTA restaurant. I’d put it one notch better than The Keg. At least they got the Crème Brule right.

The verdict:

I would recommend you go. But don’t stay. Have a drink at the lovely bar or out on the deck. Soak up the possibilities. And if you see that the situation has improved, please write about it. I’ll be reading again next year when looking for another romantic anniversary spot.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Garden District
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

We had a wonderful time at this Inn. It was perfect for our weekend get away.

We played tennis. Swam from it's perfectly sized private and groomed beach to lounge on it's floating rafts. Paddle boats , canoes and kayaks are right there for our use. There were many places to sit and enjoy the views of such a beautiful lake.

The room was a bit small but had all of the ammenities we needed for a two night stay. The bed was comfortable but did squeek.

Dinner was good and what we expected. The patio deck could use a little more care and become more of a highlight.

The firepit in front of the entrance is a nice touch and we spent some time by it each night of our stay.

If you eat offsite try out Bacini in Port Carling. The new Italian dining room is well designed and the food was great. Feels like a good big city restaurant but with better views.

Overall a great trip.

• Liked — The Lake
  • Disliked — Squeeky Bed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Markham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

We just came back from a weekend at the Delta. It to say the least was fantastic. The rooms were clean and up todate. So I am not sure where the last review stayed but we were exteremly impressed with the staff, the grounds and the facilities. We had an excellent massage at the spa and the food was exceptional.

We were there to check out the facilities for our next company function there. We toured some of the rooms and from the ones we were shown while it was not quite 5 star in that there were some minor deficiencies but none that would deter us.

Overall i would give it an A.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!