“Disappointing not to expectations, noisy.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Inn

You added Sherwood Inn to your Saves list
Sherwood Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1090 Sherwood Road, Port Carling, Ontario P0B1J0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Disappointing not to expectations, noisy.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We booked the inn for a peaceful break whilst in Canada and to celebrate my birthday. We had very little peace especially at night due to there being conferences at the hotel. We had a great room but it was above the lounge and over the entrance. The fire pit outside the entrance was supposed to finish by 11:30 pm but it didn’t. One night my wife went to reception at 1:30am to complain by which time she had had too much of it. Amazingly I had fallen asleep. Too tied from being kept awake the previous night. We had complained before. The noise below in the lounge was also disturbing in the evenings. We had planned to celebrate my birthday with a good meal in the restaurant but with all the disturbances drove ½ hour or so to find somewhere else. We celebrated with coke instead of a good wine.
Staff were platitudinous with their glib apologies but did not seem really concerned.
I wrote to their corporate headquarters a month ago but have not even received an acknowledgement of my letter.
If you want a quiet place to stay make sure there are no group events here. Otherwise find somewhere else. It could be an excellent facility but is spoilt for the holiday makers by corporate functions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank John P
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear John P,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us in late June.
I am sorry your stay was spoiled by rowdy conference groups and late night fire pit activity.

In retrospect we should have re-located you to another part of the resort for some peace and quit that you were looking for in the first place.
We have received your letter that you sent to our office and have responded to you under a separate cover.

Once gain we apologize for the inconvenience caused by the two corporate groups on site and I can assure we have taken measures to guide our night staff to be more vigilant to guest noise concerns and to react better to remedy the situation before the guests leave our property.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and my sincere apologies for not being able to deliver the dream vacation that you were looking to spend at our resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We boarded the Wenonah II at Gravenhurst and sailed to the Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph and stayed overnight, having dinner, breakfast and lunch for one price. Great Experience. I had this trip bookmarked for several years and finally was successful this summer - 2014. I hoped to sail on the steamship, Royal Mail Ship Segwun, North America’s oldest operating steamship, but will have to wait until the next trip. The overnight stay was super! Excellent meals!! I had the East Indian Spiced & grilled Lamb Sirloin with Port Poached Pears for dessert. My wife had the Manitoulin Island Rainbow Trout and the Muskoka Maple Creme Brulee for dessert. Presentation was excellent and taste was superb! The staff was very helpful!!

Room Tip: We had room 615 - right next to the water.
3 Thank Wagsix
Dear Wagsix,

Thank you for writing a glorious review following your overnight stay with us as part of the Wenonah Cruise to our resort.
I was delighted to read about your all around positive experience with your room, meals and the service of the Sherwood team.
Perhaps we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Inn aboard the Segwun next summer.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from The Sherwood Inn. We know it well; we were fortunate to spend many summers at our family cottage on Lake Joseph . Our stay at The Sherwood was only a couple of days, but the experience will last much longer. We were pleased to stay in one of the many accommodations right on Lake Joseph. It just dosen't get any better than this! A longed for swim in pristine Lake "Joe"; the spectacular view of the lake from the main dock; a delightful BBQ lunch on the lawn: …and romantic dinner in the beautifully appointed lakeside dining room all made our stay memorable. I must add that the staff truly made us feel as if we were "coming home" to a place our hearts never left. Thanks to all…Esa and my new friend Dan…you made our year!

2 Thank 293Maureen
Dear 293Maureen,

Thank you for your review on July 23rd following your stay at our resort.
I was pleased to read that your "home coming" to Lake Joseph was a pleasant one, and that you had chosen our resort as your stay destination.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back "home" to Sherwood Inn when you travels bring you back to Muskoka.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I escaped Toronto to this lovely, rustic resort for a golf long weekend. Upon registration, we knew that this was the place going to be perfect for us.

Service - extra special services. All staff was pleasant, helpful and went out of their way to make sure we had every we desired. Our personal favourite experience, was as we dined one evening and the server was a local resident, Sarah (way find:) and the French service was delivered like a seasoned pro. After dinner, evening s'mores by the bonfire = yummy and unexpected.

Room - so close to luxury, but the small plastic enclosed shower fails that claim. Tub is too die for! The bed is very comfortable. Balcony (even under construction) was lovely with great view, however better outdoor entertain furniture would extend the experience. There are two patio chairs, but a table would have been the extra.

Grounds - lovely and perfect. make sure you borrow the kayaks and say hello to the resident loons. The grounds and staff are constantly maintaining this resort, and it seems that they are making many updates at this time. Upon returning from golf one afternoon, I was looking forward to a nap before dinner. Our building was having some nailing and construction, and I went downstairs and politely asked if they could find something quiet to do for the next 30 minutes. Not surprisingly, they smiled and quickly switched tasks.

I'd highly recommend this resort for any couple looking to escape to nature and while there, have excellent service with yummy food experiences.

Room Tip: Premium Maplewood room #534 is the best location for end suite and top level view. Wood burning fire...
4 Thank TeriCanada
Dear TeriCanada,

Thank you for selecting our resort for your and your husband's escape from the city.
I was delighted to learn that most aspects of your stay were exceptional. Nice to see that Sarah's service in the dining room met your expectations.

We are indeed working tirelessly to enhance our amenities on a continual basis, and the Maplewood building renovations are almost complete with the last four balconies scheduled to be finished this week. Thank you for understanding our work crew's schedules and glad to see that we were able to accommodate your requests to try to keep any disputations to our guests stay to the absolute minimum.

Nice to see that our staffs attention to detail is appreciated and we really value your feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka again in the near future.

Changzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place is great, I loved the fire out front and we got room 208 which i highly recommend. The staff is great and the location is excellent as well. We did a Muskoka steam ship cruise and then over night here it was fantastic

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SeanTravelz
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your positive comments following your visit to our resort.
I was pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your overnight cruise on the Wenonah, the Muskoka fleet ship, to our resort last Wednesday. Its only fitting that since we are celebrating our 75th anniversary this year that we have been able to resurrect the old fashion way of traveling to Muskoka resorts by steam ships, which used to be the only way to reach the grand resorts on the lakes until roads were built. So glad you had an opportunity to join us.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Sherwood Inn is an older Muskoka Resort with a fabulous chef, Everett Bell! He will always
surprise you with an assortment of unique mouthwatering delicacies at every course. My sister
and I had two dinners and two breakfasts. The dinner were superb and wonderful tasting. My
first night was Rainbow trout done to perfection melted in my mouth and I even ate the skin it
was tasty!! My next dinner was Venison. This was a special night for we had a personal
demonstration of our meals being prepared & cooked by Evert in his kitchen. My sister had
Pickeral. Both meals we will remember fondly and will bring us back next year to enjoy again.
The triple chocolate dessert was decadent which we shared and loved. He really is a wonderful
chef ; friendly & knowledgeable. Our stay was one to remember!!! Mary-Lou & Sister

Room Tip: The cottages on the shoreline are great! With beautiful views and easy access to lake & beach &a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary-Lou D
Dear Mary-Lou D,

Thank you for your splendid and detailed review following your and your sister gourmet getaway to our resort and Chef Bell's Kitchen.
Everett is truly one of a kind culinarian and I was very pleased to read that you had an opportunity to interact with him on a very hands on and personal; basis.
we look forward to welcoming you both back to the resort when you want to engage on your next "northern culinary adventure".

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

It was such a gorgeous day on July 4th so my boyfriend and I decided to get out of the city. We booked a Premium Maplewood Room. We had the last room at the end of the hall on the top floor with a view of the lake. We got there at around 5pm and we were checked in right away. The sunset by the lake was simply stunning. We really enjoyed our stay and plan to return again.

I do have a few suggestions for the possible improvement of the property: Our room AC was VERY loud and rattled to the point where it had to be turned off so we could sleep. Luckily it was a cool evening so we had the sliding door to our balcony open all night. It has a screen so no issues there. Second: The tennis court seems dated and personally a waste of space on the property. A nice sitting area with a garden would be a much better use of this space.

Overall the rest of the property is nice.

Location
1 Thank EvaK74
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us in a premium Maplewood Room.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for posting some nice pictures about our recently renovated balconies and the room in general.

I have followed up on your comment on the AC units and it is operating in a normal fashion. Those P-tac AC units unfortunately are somewhat noisy due to their design and the proximity of the compressor of the unit right outside of the balcony.

Your comment on the tennis court is also valid. However we have recently painted the fence posts around the enclosure that now looks brand new .The winters in Muskoka with the constant freeze thaw cycles are not kind to the rubberized finish on the tennis court surface and we have scheduled the resurfacing of the court for next spring 2015. We do have ample garden areas as well as natural areas close to the lake for lounging a seating on our 12.5 acres.

I appreciate your feedback and we value your business and hope to see you return to our resort when your travels next spring you to Muskoka.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Carling
Hart of Muskoka
Hart of Muskoka
#3 of 7 in Gravenhurst
4.5 of 5 stars 36 reviews

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!