“Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Inn

You added Sherwood Inn to your Saves list
Sherwood Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1090 Sherwood Road, Port Carling, Ontario P0B1J0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
“Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

It was such a gorgeous day on July 4th so my boyfriend and I decided to get out of the city. We booked a Premium Maplewood Room. We had the last room at the end of the hall on the top floor with a view of the lake. We got there at around 5pm and we were checked in right away. The sunset by the lake was simply stunning. We really enjoyed our stay and plan to return again.

I do have a few suggestions for the possible improvement of the property: Our room AC was VERY loud and rattled to the point where it had to be turned off so we could sleep. Luckily it was a cool evening so we had the sliding door to our balcony open all night. It has a screen so no issues there. Second: The tennis court seems dated and personally a waste of space on the property. A nice sitting area with a garden would be a much better use of this space.

Overall the rest of the property is nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us in a premium Maplewood Room.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for posting some nice pictures about our recently renovated balconies and the room in general.

I have followed up on your comment on the AC units and it is operating in a normal fashion. Those P-tac AC units unfortunately are somewhat noisy due to their design and the proximity of the compressor of the unit right outside of the balcony.

Your comment on the tennis court is also valid. However we have recently painted the fence posts around the enclosure that now looks brand new .The winters in Muskoka with the constant freeze thaw cycles are not kind to the rubberized finish on the tennis court surface and we have scheduled the resurfacing of the court for next spring 2015. We do have ample garden areas as well as natural areas close to the lake for lounging a seating on our 12.5 acres.

I appreciate your feedback and we value your business and hope to see you return to our resort when your travels next spring you to Muskoka.

Best EJP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The Inn is beautifully tucked away against the shore of Lake Joseph. Its Celebrating 75 years this year and the property is very mature. We had a small and cozy room in the Inn that has been updated to include flat screen TV, Nicely appointed and modern en suite, linens and bedding are luxurious and very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was very nice and we did enjoy a very relaxed evening in the dining room. Service was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ideal for couples and adults.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive review following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your room at the inn along with the bedding and en suite bathroom as well as the dining room our cuisine and service by our fabulous staff.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka again very soon.

GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My sister and I stayed in a lovely cottage, Pinewood West overlooking the main dock with a nice front balcony and Muskoka chairs to lounge in and watch the sun set.
We had a quiet canoe paddle on beautiful Lake Joseph our first night.
Our dinners in the Inn's Restaurant were amazing! Chef Everett Bell has put together a varied and flavourful menu. I ate the Blackened Catfish which was wonderfully spiced and flakey. The Lake Trout was so tasty my sister ate every morsel of the fish and all the skin, too. The sides of crisp veggies and mashed potatoes with wild leeks were perfect.
The second night, Chef Everett Bell gave us a cooking demonstration in his immaculate and well-organized kitchen. Everett clearly explained how to prepare his venison with blackberry & Bourbon sauce. Plus he gave us tips on how to cook Lake Erie pickerel without the skin shrinking. Everett's easy instruction and friendly manner made the entire demo delightful. The best part was my sister and I were able to eat the scrumptious entrees Everett showed us how to prepare. Believe me there was not a morsel left on our plates! Try Everett's Chocolate Trio or Poached Pear for dessert, they are to die for! I would enthusiastically recommend a visit to Sherwood Inn. Beautiful setting and fantastic food!

Room Tip: Our cottage was great with a small jacuzzi tub and a very comfortable king size bed. The view from...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Terry R,

Thank you for writing a review following your and your sisters stay with us this past week.
I was delighted to read about your great dining experiences at the resort as well as your interaction with chef Everett and his kitchen.
He is truly a fantastic Epicurean and really enjoys engaging our guests in his kitchen environment.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your upgrade to the Pinewood West cottage and that you had an overall pleasant stay with us.

We hope to see you return back soon to Muskoka.

Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

An outstanding buffet breakfast expierience by breakfast chef Ayla followed the next day by a delicious la carte menu by breakfast chef Melissa. Exeptional service by dinning room manager Keegan and server Stephanie. Fantastic presentation & taste, extreamly generous portions with no restrictions inpossed on our coupons.
Friendly, polite staff from general manager Esa all the way down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for your raving review and positive feedback following your stay with us earlier this week.

I was pleased to read that you had the time to dine with us for so many meal periods during your stay and that you had the opportunity to interact with all the team members at our resort.

The staff read the TripAdvisor feedback religiously and they were tickled pink for seeing their names mentioned in your comments, particularly the gals in the kitchen.

It was a pleasure meeting both you and your wife, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon back in Muskoka.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights the last week of May with a voucher we purchased on line. We were upgraded to a room on the top floor od Maplewood and the view was fantastic. Had diner in the dining room the 1st night and the food and service was very good. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet and we thought we were on a cruise ship.

All staff were friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay most enjoyable.

Will definitely recommend to our friends and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Huben,

Thank you for writing a review following your midweek two night stay at our resort.
I was pleased to learn that we were able to upgrade you to an upper floor Maplewood room with a lake view.
Glad to see that you enjoyed your overall stay, your meals and your interaction with our friendly and courteous staff .

I appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Muskoka for your next
"northern cruise"

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

When I got there and I saw the place, I was slightly disappointed, but you should never judge a book by its cover!!! I traveled using a voucher that I purchased online and it was honestly worth it even though it was raining and cold.

The room was very nice and big with a great view of the lake. We (husband, myself & 2 year old) traveled at the end of April 2014 and there was still some snow on the ground and the lake was still slightly frozen and the weather wasn't the greatest. There wasn't much to do as the trails were looked really muddy, so we mostly stayed in our room and let our son kick his ball in the tennis court.

The restaurant was very affordable and the food was excellent. Breakfast, which was included in our package, had a lot of variety and tasted great as well.

My only complaint is the soap/shampoo dispenser in the rooms where difficult to squeeze with one hand and smelt horrible. Who wants their hands/hair/body to smell like rosemary and herbs???? I was a bit grossed out by the smell and I think it should be replaced with something more fruity or flowery.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Shobana T,

Thank you for your review following your April stay at our resort.
I was pleased to read that your overall stay was a positive one and that you had the opportunity to dine with us and find enough activities to do with your young son despite the inclement weather.

Thank you for your comments on the shampoos and amenities.

We have relocated some of the dispensers in our rooms further apart from one another to help the operation of the bottles for both left and right handed people.

Several years ago we made a conscious decision to move into bulk amenities as part of the Canadian Hotel Association Green Key environmental initiative to help reduce our carbon.
footprint.
We had many different options for fragrances of the products we offer from spa lines with sea fennel to mango and coconut and citrus and green tea.
We purposely chose the Swissoil Herbal line over the second choice which was Citrus. Given our lakefront location Citrus and flowery scents attract bugs, where as herbal scents are less attractive to them.
For the convenience of our guests we still cheerfully offer individual room amenities and soap bars on request at the front desk.

We value your feedback and business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in Muskoka in the near future.

toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Recently stayed in the Maplewood building at the Sherwood Inn- the rooms were pretty good- nothing fancy, but clean and roomy, although slightly dated. We got a travel deal, so we got 2 nights at a fantastic rate during the off-season (early April). We were disappointed that the deal said we would get an automatic upgraded room, however when we got there apparently there were none available (even though the hotel didn't seem very full at all), but if we were willing to pay $50 extra dollars, we could get a room in the Maplewood with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, balcony and view of the lake. We paid for the upgrade, but found it quite strange that the included free upgrade was not available. I'm curious if anyone has ever gotten the free upgrade?!? Overall though, for the rate we paid, even with the extra $50, we could not complain. I'm not sure if I would be as satisfied if we paid the regular summer rate. But the summer would be a very nice time to go- the grounds and lake would be beautiful I'm sure. Although we did not see inside of them, the cottages seem like the way to go in the summer or any time of year. I liked the fact that the rooms had a dvd player and the bathroom was nice as well- large tub, with a separate shower- seemed recently renovated.

Another strange thing was that they only give you one log of wood per day and charge you $7 per log after that. I wouldn't even mind if they just charged a reasonable amount, but $7 seems a bit much. Also our in-room fridge was extremely cold at the lowest setting- kept freezing our coffee cream so we had to continually ask for them to bring more over, which is more of a pain for them than us.

The hot tub was a little weird- that area could use some updating and definitely needs a change area. Wearing our robes over there, and wet bathing suits afterwards outside was annoying, especially in the winter.

The restaurant: food- again- was just pretty good. It was tasty, but not amazing. I found it to be a bit overpriced for the quality. I get that they are trying to do the fancy restaurant thing, but as we sat there, we found it kind of stuffy and thought if they just made it a little more casual and less uptight, in terms of food and environment, they would probably get more of a crowd. The service was really good though. Breakfast was very plentiful, and good. Loved the fire pit outside of the restaurant- nice place to enjoy an evening beverage.

I would return, but it would have to be with some kind of deal again, and next time I would love to be there in the summer- but they probably don't offer deals in the summer.

Room Tip: Try for a cottage
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Globalbouncer,

Thank you for your very detailed and constructive review following your April stay with us at our resort.
Firstly thank you for buying a travel zoo / living social deal to stay at our property. I can assure you that the upgrades are available for a limited amount of rooms but are very popular and get filled almost immediately as we are only open in the weekends in the winter and shoulder seasons.

i was pleased to read that many element of your stay were a positive experience but would like to address some of your other comments that we appreciate as constructive criticism.

Maplewood rooms somewhat dated. I hope you were referring to the common areas of the Maplewood building as they will still require some updates and attention. All 14 rooms in that building, however, were completely renovated last spring with new furniture, bedding, drapery and a lighting package. The only renovation that was left were the bathroom counters and the decks. The counters were completed last week with granite counter tops and under mount sinks and new hardware. The decks are a work in progress and will be totally rebuilt by the end of June with a new railing system and Dura deck type footing replacing the old slatted wood grills that you would have experienced in April.
Fire logs: We purchase 3 hour fire logs that cost us on the average $ 5.85. We give the first log as part of the room rate, discounted or full rack rate, and charge a nominal upgrade fee of $ 7.00 per each additional log to cover our costs. For guests such as yourself who enjoy a wood burning fire you are correct in your comment about an option for apparent the 9 cottages that we have on property that come with unlimited supply of real hardwood firewood.
Dining options:
You make a very valid point about the stuffiness of our vintage dining room. We offer two menus for our guests a more casual lounge menu and a more formal dinner menu. Both menus are available in in the casual lounge setting or the more formal dining room. Sometimes its a bit of a balancing act to try and seat guests evenly in the lounge and dining room which will add to the stuffiness feeling and we will work diligently on our practice to make that part of the dining experience more pleasurable moving forward. In high season our main dining room moves to the larger Verandah room and we also offer Al fresco dining on our two decks overlooking the lake and in our gardens.

Pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you had positive interactions with our servers and staff.

We appreciate your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to review our practices and improve on our overall guest experiences that we want to ensure are most positive for our guests.
We hope that you will keep Sherwood Inn on your "vacation " Radar and that you will find a good summer deal with us, that we do offer Sunday through Thursday or when ever we have some gaps in our busy summer group and wedding business.

Best EJP

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!