“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Inn

You added Sherwood Inn to your Saves list
Sherwood Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1090 Sherwood Road, Port Carling, Ontario P0B1J0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oshawa
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 32 Anniversary at the Sherwood Inn which we found to be a quiet and quaint Inn. We stayed in the Robinwood Cottage. The cottage was fantastic and was very private. It exceeded our expectations. It was amazing to have our own private dock.

The staff was very polite. Amenities were sufficient. The food was excellent. Our only complaint was the delay in being served, but when we were served, the food was excellent. It appeared the dining room was understaffed and this could be a result of locals dining as well and the Inn not being able to accommodate the increase which resulted in the delay of orders being taken, and food being served to our table in a timely manner. Jeffery served us in the lounge and was very polite and knowledgeable.

We enjoyed the shuffleboard outside as well as the fire pit in the front of the Inn. We met new friends and will try to visit the Inn in the future.

Joanne Y

Room Tip: For privacy, the Robinwood Cottage is a great place to stay. The king-size bed was so comfortable, I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Joanne H and Hubby,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your 32nd anniversary celebration.
I was pleased to read that your overall stay with us was a positive one.

My apologies for the delay in getting you served in a timely manner.
Our clientele definitely is a mix of locals, seasonal home owners and resort guests alike, but our primary focus is always to ensure that the Resort guests get taken care of in a timely fashion.
We definitely have an exodus of seasonal staff after labor day and Thanksgivin as they return back to school, but the delays in getting you served more efficiently are more a product of poor reservation mapping by our team rather than being under staffed. We have recently taken mesures to plan our dining seatings better as we have had an influx of increased fall weekend occupancy.

I appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit to our resort.

Best EJP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Built in 1939, this lovely inn, was everything we were looking for. Relaxing and welcoming in a beautiful setting on Lake Joseph. The service was the best, the staff very friendly. The firepit at the front entrance was a nice place to meet new friends.
Thank you Jeffery for the wine cellar tour and wine recommendations. Thank you Sam for the suggesting of Southwood Rd for the trip home.

Dear Jill P,
I was happy to read about your positive "autumn break" and experience at our resort.

Glad to see that you were able to enjoy the tranquil settings, our service and cuisine and the interaction with our team members such as Jeff and Sam.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and serving you again at our resort.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a 1 night relaxing getaway without the children. We found it at Sherwood Inn. This inn was beautiful, quiet and quaint. The number one quality that Sherwood Inn possesses, however, is it's exemplary customer service. We were greeted at the front counter by Keegan! By far the BEST front desk person that we have ever encountered! Each and every employee was just as customer service oriented as Keegan. The chef and his staff outdid themselves with the spectacular dinner and extraordinary Buffett breakfast. The general manager showed his dedication to the Inn, and it's guests, on Thanksgiving weekend, when he worked the entire weekend. This, in itself, is not an astounding feat. What was astounding was the fact that it was his wife's 50th birthday. That is dedication to customer service! We could go on and on but Sherwood Inn is definitely a destination to experience.
And

Room Tip: We chose a room in the Inn rather than a cottage. It had a more relaxed feel.
Dear Pete G,

Thank you for your positive review and accolades following your stay with us during the Thaksgiving weekend.

The exemplary customer service comment really hits home with all of us at the resort, as we all work very hard at exceeding our guests expectations in all that we do living up to our motto 'Come as a guest and leave as family".

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to the Sherwood annually for 4 years. Year after year we are never disappointed. The service is excellent, the food is out of this world. The location and surroundings are picturesque and quiet. There is lots to do if you want to be active. Special mention to Jeff in the dining room. He is knowledgeable and very responsive. Keegan on front desk - extremely pleasant and professional to deal with. Melissa, breakfast chef - goes out of her way to make sure you are enjoying breakfast. Tiffany, chef - the food and food choice continue to exceed our expectations. A sincere thank you. We will be back and we recommend the Sherwood Inn.

Room Tip: Cottages are on the water rooms. Rooms in the inn are nice
Dear Teri M,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor following your annual stay with us, and our gratitude for your continued support over the past four years.
I was most pleased to read about your positive experiences with us during your stay.
I will be sure to share your accolades with my entire team, but most notably with Jeff, Keegan, Melissa and Tiffany who all seem to have made a lasting impression with you.

Looking forward to welcoming you "home" soon to the Sherwood Inn.

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I found Sherwood Inn on the internet, and decided to wed there. We had a very intimate wedding ceremony, with only our immediate family members. We got married on a Wednesday afternoon, down on the point - surrounded by trees and water. It was beautiful, I couldn't have imagined a nicer spot to get married. After our ceremony we had a lovely meal in the wine cellar, and stayed the night. Not only was the inn beautiful, but every single Sherwood employee went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and make our day special.
I would recommend the inn to anyone, for a wedding or just a vacation...there is much to do, but at the same time it is very quiet and relaxing.
My husband and I plan to go back soon, and my parents also fell in love with the inn and plan to go there for their anniversary.
Thank you all for making our day soooooo special.
Christie and Jason

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christie and Jason,

Firstly I would like to thank you both for choosing our resort as the venue for your nuptials.

It was both a pleasure and a privilege for our entire team to be part of your special day, and we want to wish you both much love and joy on your life journey together.

Blue Mountains, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I visited the Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph this past weekend to celebrate our 11th Anniversary and her Birthday (yes on the same day - which is why these weekends have to be so special). We arrived after 8pm on Friday night and were assigned the Robinwood Cottage. Centrally located on the resort close to all amenities it came equipped with a wonderful wood burning fireplace, satellite TV, it's own private dock on the bay and what has to be the largest king sized bed I have ever seen. Quaint and cozy we settled in for a relaxing weekend and were quite surprised to find that the associates remembered my comment when booking regarding our Anniversary and a welcome amenity was awaiting us (tasty!).

We of course slept in but made it in for their breakfast buffet in the dining room the next morning. Great selection (wife went for the healthy options and I of course indulged in the eggs benedict - why not?) and at a price point that made me question how they could offer so much for so little. I have seen similar buffets but of lesser quality go for more than twice the price. The servers were engaging and made us feel at home.

We spent the day on the paddleboards coupled with a two hour canoe along the shore of Lake Joseph followed by a nap on the lounge chairs on our private dock (haven't had a nap in years). A short trip into Port Carling for some unique boutique shopping and late lunch rounded out our day.

Dinner was something special - we were greeted for our 7pm reservation by none other than Esa the General Manager who apparently finds the time to connect with his guests in this manner quite frequently. The menu selection was exceptional and my wife settled for what had to be the largest halibut filet I have ever seen. I settled on the house smoked stuffed chicken supreme and the flavours of both mains were perfect (yes I had to finish my wife's portion as she could not). I was pleasantly surprised at the size, quality and range of their wine list especially owing to the size of the resort. It was difficult to settle on just one offering.

A perfect repeat to Saturday's breakfast buffet on Sunday morning and we were off again home to pick up the kids. On the drive home my wife asked me to rate our past Anniversary weekends and we both agreed that this one had to rank in the top two. Thank you to Esa and your team at the Sherwood Inn for creating great memories.

Dear BMRVP,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your fall getaway with your wife.
I was pleased to read about all the positive points of your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to enjoy all the aspects that our resort has to offer.

It is Always a pleasure for my team and myself to be part of making lasting memories for our guests such as your wife and you.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka the next time you need to charge your batteries.

ontario, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had an absolutely perfect mini holiday at Sherwood Inn last week! Stayed in RobinWood Cottage which has its own sunny porch/dock on Lake Joseph... Spent much of our time here, relaxing in the Muskoka chairs... Also went kayaking, did some hiking on the nature trails, and even had a lovely swim one day (in October)! The cottage was very clean and comfortable, the bathroom clean and bright, and the living room very comfortable with couch, fireplace and flat screen tv (watched a movie one night on DVD), plus a view of the lake through the patio doors... The food here is extraordinary, and memorable. They have their own smoker; I had an amazing smoked chicken risotto with Parmesan and field mushrooms for dinner one night... The service at Sherwood Inn is incredible; they really know how to make you feel welcome! Our stay was a real treat :) Hope to be back before too long!

• Stayed October 2013
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear 686209,

Thank you for booking a stay with us for your fall getaway.
I was delighted to read that the Robinwood cottage met with all your expectations, that you had the opportunity to enjoy all that the resort had to offer as well as exquisite food and friendly service and had an overall relaxing getaway with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to Muskoka.

Best Regards EJP

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!