We have been staying at the Sherwood Inn for decades now, long before it was taken over by Clublink and Delta - in those days, the resort was elegant and top notch, with only the best in accomodations, food and service. Sadly, we have witnessed an annual degradation in the standard of the hotel to the point where we have decided that this was our last stay..
We stayed in the Maplewood building which is the "newer" part of the resort. Our room, 533 might have once had a lovely lake view, but that is pretty much obscured by trees now. The deck furniture consisted of one plastic chair and one lounger - not conducive to enjoying the view in any case. The air conditioning unit which is out on the deck was rusting, with the cover half falling off, not an attractive addition. Our room featured a broken floor lamp (when we complained about it, the action taken was to remove it which left us with very poor lighting in the room), white patch marks on the taupe walls, leftover picture hooks with nothing hanging on them, a hairdryer that did not work properly and a small table which was scratched and gouged. The hairdryer in our friends' room had also broken and been removed. However, the plate from which it used to hang was left behind on the bathroom wall.
We had booked for dinner at the resort restaurant. When we arrived, the room was approximately one quarter full. We were advised on the way to our table that because of a large group (of seven) there would not be enough menus available for the four of us and we would have to share. We were offered a smoked salmon amuse bouche which for three of us was served on a white ceramic Chinese spoon. The fourth person got hers on a ridiculous teaspoon because they were out of ceramic spoons, again because of the large group. The others enjoyed their main courses - I had the rack of lamb and felt that it was only marginal with heavy handed sauces and a mushroom risotto that tasted only of garlic - highly overpriced at $42. At breakfast the next morning, two of our group ordered the pancakes which they said were quite good. They would have been even better if the syrup and buter had arrived at the same time, not ten minutes later. Our server advised us only as the meals were being brought that the peameal that one person had ordered was not available that morning.
The upholstery on the dining room chairs is stained and is crying out for replacement. The people at the table next to us refused to sit in theirs and asked for them to be switched out. Throughout, this resort creates the impression of being tired and in dire need of a major infusion of capital to bring it up to an acceptable standard.
We are Clublink members and therefore benefitted from a 50% reduction in the room rate. We still paid $200 a night to stay in this very disappointing resort. I cannot imagine what anyone paying twice that amount would think. I had charged my dinner to my Clublink account - when I got home and checked my account, I found that the hotel had doubled the amount of the already generous gratuity which I had written in!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrating 75 years in 2014 Nestled among towering century-old pines at the very edge of Muskoka's sparkling Lake Joseph, Sherwood Inn is a retreat unlike any other. •Muskoka Ontario resort vacations •Waterfront Muskoka inn •Resort wedding facility •In house wedding & group catering services •Muskoka resort vacation packages •Onsite health spa •Ontario conference, meeting & reunion facilities •Championship golf courses nearby Among the most authentic Ontario Inns, each guestroom and cottage suite at the Sherwood Inn is decorated to reflect the traditional character of Muskoka, and is complete with every modern convenience you would expect from a Muskoka hotel. Many rooms feature cozy wood-burning fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs. Open year round, Sherwood Inn guests can enjoy abundant on-site activities as well many Port Carling Attractions. Visitors to our elegant Inn at Lake Joseph experience gracious hospitality, luxurious pampering, and absolute tranquility. Plan a relaxing getaway today and experience life at one of the most majestic Ontario Inns, the Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph in beautiful Muskoka, Ontario! Visit us once. Love us forever. Welcome to Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph, Muskoka's preeminent traditional lakeside inn, offering breathtaking surroundings, tasteful accommodations, fine dining, exceptional facilities, upscale amenities and unparalleled service in the heart of Muskoka, Ontario. Sherwood Inn provides the perfect getaway, blending the charm of old Muskoka with the comfort and indulgence of modern day amenities. Located close to all the most popular Muskoka area attractions, including three eighteen-hole championship golf courses, guests at Sherwood Inn can enjoy everything this Ontario cottage country destination has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sherwood Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Delta Sherwood Hotel Port Carling
- Delta Port Carling
- Port Carling Delta
- Sherwood Inn Muskoka District/Port Carling, Ontario