“Good for camping or day trips” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Perth
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Good for camping or day trips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Large Provincial Park on Big Rideau Lake. Good camping, beaches not that great.

All Ontario Provincial Parks are fully booked most of the summer so reservations are essential.

We have since purchased a cottage on a nearby lake so we love the region, but don't frequent the parks any longer..

Visited October 2012

Ottawa
20 attraction reviews
“Average Camping Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went to Murphy's point at the beginning of August not knowing what to expect. The sites are well maintained and so are the washroom facilities. Not much to do around but sit around the campsite. There are two beaches but both are quite small and the swimming areas are not very large. Nevertheless, it's a great spot to experience the outdoors and the dark skies in the area allow for some great stargazing. Lots of wildlife in the area too as we had a deer come up right to our site!

Ottawa, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Good Park-Keeping the peace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

An excellent park and the ranger keeps an eye out for the young drinker/ "music" players and load mouths. Too many youth now a days think they are the only ones in the camp or think it is their private cottage where they can disturb others. At least here, an attempt is made to keep things natural, and family friendly. Loud mouths beware!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful Park, Unfriendly Park Wardens”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a beautiful park, however, this is not a dog friendly camp ground. There are no dogs allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the beach. I did not want to leave my dog tied up at my campsite, or leave anyone behind with him, so we sat in the forest to the side of the beach with our dog, who is a therapy dog and is very well behaved.
I left my dog with my friend on shore while I went out in our kayak we rented (which was a reasonable price, and it was a beautiful kayak ride, with quality kayaks). However while I was gone, a park warden approached my friend, and told her that dogs are not allowed anywhere near the beach - they are only allowed to swim at the boat launch. The boat launch is a mile away from my camp site (not exaggerating), and my dog wasn't bothering anyone. My friend was told to return to her campsite and sit with her dog. Then the park warden drove by our campsite to make sure we were doing what she asked. Apparently the only place dogs are welcome is at your campsite.

So if you want to bring your dog camping, and leave him tied up at your camp while you go do fun things, this is the place to go!

I also felt like the warden's were trying to intimidate our group, because we are younger, as Ashley L posted. Also, it was very noisy, and the park warden's did not bother the families at all, only the people who were drinking without any children.

Montreal, QC, Canada
“Beautiful park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent two and a half days camping in the park. The facilities are great and very clean (washrooms and showers). The park staff are all very friendly and helpful. There are a few hiking trails you can do - the 5.5 km trail was beautiful, with hardly any other people on it and a small beach with a mini island you can swim to. Our lot, #117, was very private and had full shade. The beach swimming area is small but very clean, and no seaweed in the water! There are picnic tables and big trees for shade too on the beach, which is very appreciated! We were lucky enough to see some deer and some other wild animals running around. The only downside to our weekend was that the wood we bought from the park store was damp (there was a big storm the day before we arrived). Oh and bring bug spray because there are tons of mosquitos! Overall it was a great weekend! We would definitely return!

Visited July 2013