“Great atmosphere and delicious food.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Great atmosphere and delicious food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Not much more I can really say. The location is very quaint and quiet. Its a great out of the way place to go for a romantic meal and a nice glass of wine. The staff is friendly and helpful. There isn't the typical city crowd around who "inflict themselves" upon you so you can really enjoy yourself in a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoyed it and will definitely plan to go back many times in the future.

• Visited October 2013

Orangeville, Canada
“Worth the drive to this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We (my husband and 2 daughters In their early 20's) LOVE this place! My husband loved the pickerel, the girls loved the lamb and I loved the beef tenderloin! Appetizers were also rated a 10... Caesar salad, calamari, beet & goat cheese salad and Brie in phyllo... Unbelievable! And... the best part of any meal I've had here is the BREAD PUDDING with banana and carmel sauce... it is too die for!!!! Our server Siobhan is fabulous... She makes our visit complete! We absolutely love this restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone... Lunch or dinner... You won't be disappointed. We have come to Mono Cliffs numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed it... Including celebrating my mom's 70th birthday.... party of 10... We had a great time.... Thanks again Siobhan!

• Visited October 2013
Toronto
“poor service and other issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My friend and I sat on the patio and waited quite a while for a server to come out and notice us. While we were waiting, a few older men showed up and sat down nearby. When a staff person finally came out, we were completely ignored (by what turned out to be the owner/hostess). She walked right past us and asked the other patrons for their drink orders and then marched past us without making eye contact. I quickly asked for a coffee as she was leaving and she said she’d be back, but she only returned with the drinks for the men. During our visit, she was very friendly with the local clientele who showed up after, yet wouldn't crack a smile to us when we spoke directly to her in a friendly manner. The other wait staff (3 others) were professional and friendly. We definitely got the impression from the behaviour of the "hostess/old crone" that we were not welcome there. She must have a problem with (a) motorcyclists (b) non locals (c) gay people (d) all of the above.

The food was good/average. My friend enjoyed her soup. I enjoyed my quiche, but the side salad was mostly bitter greens with non-existent dressing and 3-4 blueberries.

The older men ate and were on their way with little delay, but when WE asked for the bill, it never came, and no wait staff came out to the patio for at least 15 minutes. I eventually had to go inside to track down our bill, and when I mentioned we had been waiting 20 minutes, the reply was “oh, has it been that long?”… Not an apology at all.

Another noteworthy oddity: the women’s bathroom. There are two stalls. Neither of them have a toilet paper dispenser. Instead, there is a basket on the floor with rolls of toilet paper. I must say I found this unpleasant, as it must be rather unhygienic to pick up the rolls that others have touched prior to washing their hands. And to top off the unsettling feeling – THERE IS A WINDOW IN THE DOOR TO THE STALL! At first, from the inside, I thought it was a mirror, but when I looked through, I could see out! Anyone could look in and see you! Sure enough, when the woman after me entered, I could see her in the stall while I was drying my hands 6 inches from this window. That’s insane! Luckily, it is a high window and I understand it is unlikely that anyone would approach and look all the way in, but they could. I would feel absolutely uncomfortable making eye contact with anyone while in a toilet stall. What were they thinking?

Visited October 2013
Rockwood
“Don't miss pub downstairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were just driving around on a Sunday through the beautiful Hockley Valley and realized it was dinnertime. We were next to a inauspicious-looking restaurant, but the people out of it were extremely well-dressed and looked happy. We checked out the menu on the chalkboard on the fancy restaurant upstairs, but it looked a little to pricey for a Sunday-drive-dinner. I thought we might come back for a special occasion. The hostess caught up with us as we were making our way back to the car and told us there was a small pub in the basement with great food at a much lower price point. So, we thought we would check it out....

Well, it was a lot cheaper...about 15 to 20 dollars for an entree, and the food was amazing. I had the short ribs, and my husband ordered the bacon-wrapped chicken breast. He literally used the bread to lick up every drop of sauce on his plate--there was nothing left on his plate but the glaze finish. I had the short ribs on a bed of vegetables (the vegetables were amazing), and the ribs were quite good. The server talked us into the bread pudding with butterscotch sauce. I'm not a fan of bread pudding, but I've learned to pay attention when a waiter says, "You can't leave this restaurant until you order this....."

And, he was right. That dessert was so sinful that we knew we deserved to be imprisoned for the crime of eating magnificent sweets! Wow! Go just to eat that dessert; it was incredible.

The service was attentive, but for me the host is a little too touchy-feelie with the guests, but he may know them very well, and that is just his way. I don't like to be caressed by wait staff--unless I know them really, really, really well!

But, if you are up this way--stop at the restaurant. Don't be fooled by how it looks. The pub is claustrophobic and can only serve probably 20 people at a time, so I would not choose prime eating hours to indulge here....Also, only open Thursday through Sunday nights.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Etobicoke
“Foodie Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Coming from a girl who doesn't "eat to live ", but "lives to eat", our experience at the Mono Cliffs Inn far exceeded our expectations. If you're like me, and believe that atmosphere is a big part of your dining experience, Mono Cliffs Inn will not disappoint. Whether you would like to dine inside or on the very lovely patio, or perhaps in the very cozy pub downstairs, there is something for everyone. The grilled calamari was the best I've had, and I have dined in a lot of 4+ star restaurants in the big city of T.O. Our meal was a fabulous end to our wonderful day of hiking, we will be back soon.

• Visited September 2013