“Weekend stay in the fall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Crest Golf Resort

You added Rocky Crest Golf Resort to your Saves list
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   RR#1, Hamer Bay Road | MacTier, Ontario P0C 1H0, Canada (Formerly Delta Rocky Crest Resort)   |
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Muskoka District
Toronto, Canada
“Weekend stay in the fall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at this place the weekend before Thanksgiving. We wanted to use the opportunity to visit colorful Muskoka in the fall.

Purchased a coupon through one of the deal sites(Living Social, I believe).The hotel is located right on Lake Joseph, far enough from any major road, so it is quiet.
On both nights they had weddings in the hotel, so it was busy. There are 2 restaurants at the hotel(3rd one at the golf course). Food was good, service was good as well.

Rooms are average. It's nice there is a separation between the bedroom and the living rook, but nothing really impressive. Found a bit difficult to adjust the temperature appropriately - it was either too warm or a bit cool in the room.

The personnel at the reception were kind, but but not very helpful or attentive. We were trying to figure out how to see the TV schedule and asked for help, they did not know and did not really make an effort to find out.

All in all, decent place for a weekend stay. However, looks a bit overpriced at regular price.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Jacksons Point
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

We had a Groupon for $250 American funds for 2 nights-This was a great deal included breakfest. The bathroom was out dated with stains in the tub and cracks in some walls-the bedroom and dining room was Great, nice size and comfortable. With free bike rentals and tennis and canoes, there is alot to do here.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

Our company booked this venue for our annual Sales meeting and it was outstanding! The venue itself provided a very relaxing, calm, and comfortable atmosphere, which left the team feeling, revived and inspired, while developing camaraderie!
We had a buffet dinner at the clubhouse, and plated dinner back at the tent for our formal celebrations – both venues were awesome and the food was excellent!
Lastly, working behind the scenes to make our offsite the most enjoyable one yet – the staff! They were incredibly responsive, accommodating and flexible!
Thank you again for a great corporate getaway!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

I'm on board with the the other reviews as well. My husband is a club-link member and has been for many, many years. I thought we were in for a nice treat. It was over-priced for the accommodations. I upgraded to a suite and was totally not impressed. I wanted to take my sister and niece out for a luxurious overnight stay up north and sadly, it was pretty ordinary. My stay at the Best Western in Kingston cost me about the same amount of money and it was AWESOME!. The service on the patio was slow and the staff disinterested. I booked reservations for the three of us at "Windows", hoping for a lovely dinner. Unfortunately, they did not have our reservation when we got there. However, the nice gentleman did seat us at a wonderful table. We ordered the tenderloin, which was not so tender! The potatoes were crusty as if they had been made hours early and sat out. I paid well over $200 for dinner and was very disappointed. I can say, however, the breakfast buffet was very well done and delicious.

Save your money or go elsewhere.

Room Tip: My nice and I had trouble as the wifi kept going out.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Riverview
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

I have to agree with others, the accommodations are sadly lacking. Our golf package was only available with a loft rental. We were squeezed into a tiny area that would have been much improved by a mere couple of feet. The loft bedroom was lovely, but why only a queen when a king would have fit in so well? Similarly, I got stuck sharing a double, quite uncomfortably, in the second bedroom. The service, however, was the real issue. It could have been so easily remedied with just a little training. Back to that later.

The food was really great, in both dining areas. We ate at the Fireside Lounge two nights and had no complaints whatsoever. We had dinner one night at Windows and, while I wasn't in the mood for a steak, I went for it regardless since it was, indeed, a steak house. My rib-eye bone-in (some refer to it as a rib steak, but why quibble?) was cooked to an absolute perfect medium-rare and perfectly seasoned. I opted for the bearnaise sauce which was a congealed blob in the side dish, but a good steak should never be ruined with a sauce anyway. I can't say enough about how great that steak was. My escargot entre was delightful, huge plump snails in a well-balanced garlic butter. I asked that the gruyere be left off since I don't like to overwhelm my escargots and the chef was very accommodating. The service was impeccable.

Similarly, the breakfast buffet was excellent. The eggs benedict were delightful; generally a nice soft yolk but no ugly messy runny whites. Occasionally we found one a trifle over-cooked but its hard to control that on a buffet. My guilty favourite was putting a thick-slice of bread through the toaster and making a decadent bacon sandwich! But, first I balanced it out with some nice fresh fruit.

Now for the issues: we checked in and were told where to park and to walk to our unit. No mention was made that a shuttle could help us with luggage so we trucked down about fourteen pieces of luggage (for four). Luckily we found out about the shuttle before we checked out! When we called about ice we were told that we could get it at the reception. When we arrived there we were informed that we only need call the next time and they would deliver it (why not tell us the first time?). I called to get a hair dryer for the second bathroom and was told that there was one in the main bathroom. When I noted that I would prefer not to have to walk up stairs to get the hairdryer (and have to share, and stand in line for when it was free) they promptly delivered one.

The biggest issue, however, was not being forewarned that there would be large conference groups sharing the resort with us. This meant that we could not be seated for breakfast/dinner at the times we would have preferred (minor annoyance, but irritating none the less) but it also meant that we had loud.blaring music and noisy sing-alongs playing outside our room while we were trying to have an early night for an early morning tee-time.

Bottom-line? The dining room(s) are very good. Shawn and Roger were excellent servers and really helped to make our stay special. We could overlook the tiny living space (we re-arranged the furniture to make it work). The staff in the Reception really need additional training.

Oh yes. The reason we were there? Golf. Rocky Crest is awesome, will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Maple Ridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

Stayed here for 4 days as part of a work retreat. Had its pros and cons, long story short would I stay here again? Sure! But only for about 1/2 of the advertised rate!

Check in was on the slower side but we are a big group so I can understand it's not the average scenario.

Mobility;if you have mobility issues then some of the rooms may not be for you. For our room I had to haul my suitcase up a flight of outdoor stairs I'm 5'2 on a good day and I pack a lot! Got it up there but it wasn't easy, this was not disclosed to me at check in, might've been nice to be offered assistance. Overall lots of stairs all over resort, if you had mobility issues this could be problematic.

Appearance; no way to sugar coat it, the place looks old and worn. All the exterior of the buildings could have used a powerwashing as they all had a film of dirt, moss coating the outside. Reminded me more of summer camp than what is supposed to be a 4 star resort?!? Decking on most of the units was old and worn, several had stairs/decks redone which looked good but then really pointed out the lack of updating on the other ones.

Food; I myself had no issues with food served on buffets or the one evening we ate plated meals in windows. Some commented that the temperature of certain items on buffet could have been warmer.

Meeting rooms: were well attended to and the attendant was super helpful when I asked for sweetener had grabbed some ASAP and everything always seemed refreshed etc.

Didn't play golf, some coworkers did and commented the course was great.

Ate dinner at golf club one evening. This is shining star at resort and only building that seems to be maintained. Great meal and service. Would be nice to have some signage between clubhouse and resort or walking trail. Several of us walked from the resort side to the clubhouse and on the way back from dinner it was dark and we got lost in the dark! Little to no lighting on the road between the two! Thank god for cellphone flashlight apps!

Rooms; had 2 bedroom
Loft. Beds were comfy, nicely furnished. Would be nice to have alarm clock in the loft, again thank god for cell phones! Was missing hair dryer in bathroom in loft and called front desk- housekeeping dropped off moments later which was great. Housekeeping did a great job on some things but left others like dishes etc. I must say I travel a lot and this floor was the cleanest I have ever seen a hotel room carpet!!!! And I got up close!!! I dropped something that I had to pick up and got right down at floor level!

Spa: location of spa is horrific! It honestly feels like you're walking through someone's low income housing complex back door! Once inside it was better but still not soundproofed like your normal spa. While having my massage I could hear a housekeeping/resort golf cart outside idling outside and the spa phone in reception ringing.
Spa services were great.

Overall impression of this resort is that the location is incredible, if you're a golfer has access to a world-class course, but the place is tired and needs some tlc. I wouldn't pay more than $100 a night here without some major changes!

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Milton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Went up for one night with my wife and another couple friend of ours. The room was clean, and spacious, but it was small touches that were a little annoying. There were no facial tissues, the front door didn't close properly, and there were no electrical outlets by either night-stand in the master bedroom, and the only clock was in the second bedroom. The sheets were clean, the beds were comfortable, and it was quiet so we got a good sleep. At "Windows" one steak was very undercooked, and 2 meals came with the wrong side dishes. We were done eating by the time the correct ones were ready. Nobody seemed to worried about it. In the morning at breakfast there were no plates at the buffet. We asked a chef looking person if they had anymore. He said yes, then walked away and stood by the wait staff station. After standing there looking at him for 3 or 4 minutes, someone else came with plates. We got our food and sat down, then he went at stood behind the omelette station now that there was nobody getting food.....That's pretty sad. Then, at the area with the water sport equipment, all the staff were gone doing something else out on the water, so we were left to rummage in the hutt for towels and life jackets. At the golf course the cart girl had nothing but beer, powerade, or diet coke left, and said she would restock and get us on here next lap, which might be a little over half an hour....? We were on the 3rd hole. After we told here to just forget it, she then said she would come back to us right away, which she did.

It seemed that will most of the staff we encountered were pleasant enough, everyone just seemed to be lazy and "that's the way it is" No effort to fix anything that was wrong or improve the experience. The most engagement we saw was from the people checking us in and out of the hotel. Based on this, I will probably not return to Rocky Crest for anything but the golf course. I rated the place average, but for the price of the stay, there should be far more hospitality to the guests, and there are better options out there.

Room Tip: We were in room 53
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rocky Crest Golf Resort? Share your experiences!