“Very good overall - no negatives” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homestead House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Hope
Homestead House
You added Homestead House to your Saves list
3272 Homestead Drive, Mount Hope, Hamilton, Ontario L0R 1W0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Hope B&B and Inns
ontario, cda
“Very good overall - no negatives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had a "couple of days getaway" and spent a couple of days in Hamilton. Homestead is situated well - on the mountain, just outside of Hamilton proper (Mount Hope) so not exposed to the pollution cloud you see sometimes at the waterfront. It is right off a major Hamilton thoroughfare (Upper James) and there is easy access from any direction. It is an older home so full of character. TA reviews led me to prefer the Red Room so I requested (and got) it. I appreciated the little fridge. Bottled water is available and while it is small, it is great to be able to store your leftovers or keep your next days beverages cold
I was the only guest at the time and found conversation with Verena extremely easy . . like picking up with an old friend you hadn't seen in a while.
With a car the B&B has easy access to everything. I was able to explore a few of the waterfalls of Hamilton. As is true in all of Ontario we tend to under-rate our resources and features and everyplace I went was sparsely populated if at all. I also visited the Tropical Gardens at Gage park right downtown (for free) and enjoyed the small boat tour of the Harbour as the only paying customer (now where do you get that service??) Parking at the Harbourfont was also free and even on the Sunday, a beatuful day weatherwise was not at all packed!
I'd return to Homestead in a heartbeat if (when) I do another trip to the Hamilton area

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I lucked into finding this B&B for my stay in Hamilton. Bernie and Verena are lovely people and wonderful hosts who really went out of their way to make my stay in Hamilton fantastic.

This B&B is in Mount Hope, about 10-15 minutes from Hamilton. I rented a car (which Bernie helped with) and it was very easy to come and go anytime. Lovely and quiet, very comfortable bed, and one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and there was plenty of food. This was definitely a great value too, much cheaper than most of the area hotels and far nicer.

I would definitely stay here again if I am back in the Hamilton area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

You would think that being so close to Hamilton airport, you would hear planes passing over at odd hours.
Maybe they only operate in daytime, (when I was not at the B&B), but in the week I stayed there, I neither heard nor saw a single plane take off or land.
So up on Mount Hope it's a bit outside the commotion of the cities, which I think is a very nice thing.
Breakfast selection is of course not as big as you would get in a hotel, but it's nice, with fruit, cereal, yoghurt, bagels, cheese, coffee, tea and eggs prepared how you like it.
The bathroom connected to the room I got was on the small side, but it was nice and clean.
Coming from Europe I found it a bit odd that I didn't get a key to my room so I could lock it when I left, but I was told that was quite common.
I got a very good price for staying there a whole week.
You get a very nice and friendly welcome at the Homestead House.
Easy driving distance for exploring the wine-regions of Ontario and Niagara-On-The-Lake.

• Stayed November 2013
Laguna Woods, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This home was clean, the room was well appointed and the food was excellent! Verena made each breakfast unique and special, and had plenty of information available to make our day's plans enjoyable. They really went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was in Hamilton for the annual Swing Dance at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, and I needed a place for the night which was near to the Museum. Well, Homestead is the place. Only a fifteen-minute walk from the Museum, although part of the route (along Airport Road) lacks sidewalks. I had a very pleasant night in the Pine Room and a perfectly fine breakfast the next day. Vera was very accommodating, she even drove me to the dance on Saturday Night!

So why not five stars - two things - the House lacks any sort of sitting/recreation area for guests, which was a slight liability because the Pine Room where I stayed was a little small (warning - if you are taller than 5 foot ten the beds might be too short for you as well.) And the bathroom was too well-lit - it was very, very hot - and especially cramped. And I am not a big person, either. These things happen with old houses so it didn't surprise me, but it does keep Homstead from the top.

Still very pleasant and very convenient for all your Hamilton Airport needs.

Room Tip: If you are very tall or large, avoid the Pine Room - this room is all right for short singles or cou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Gisborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have travelled extensively internationally for the past 40 years and in recent years used many B&Bs at home and abroad.
We were very fortunate to spend our first 9 days in Canada in Sept 2013 with our hosts Verena and Bernie at Homestead House. From our first email contact many months ago when inquiring/booking their customer service and enthusiasm for the business and their own B&B shone through. On arrival and throughout they were very welcoming, friendly and helpful without being too involved.
All aspects of their B&B we found of a very high standard: cleanliness (based on Swizz backgrounds), presentation, attention to detail and the little things (like door hanging hooks, providing a door sausage to keep out light, etc).
The breakfasts are something else – great variety each day and fantastic.
They are very knowledgeable of their area and willing to assist.
They are in a very fortunate location being close to both business associated with the Hamilton area and Airport plus major Tourism attractions including of coarse Niagara Fall sand the 6 Nations area etc. However they are in a quiet spot (and we greatly dislike noisy/busy environments accommodation).
Over our 9 days we really enjoyed meeting other guests and spending time over the great breakfast - both business people and holiday makers.
They were kind enough to ask us to join them at their personal family Labour Day get together.
We departed feeling like we had very interested friends and would highly recommend this B&B.
It is definitely one of the best B&Bs we have been fortunate to stay at.

Thanks Kev & Sandra

Room Tip: As with a building of this age (early 1900s, although very solid) room privacy cannot be what you ma...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

WE spent a wonderful 6 nights at Homestead House, situated in Mount Hope,not quite a 'one street town' but not far off,roughly midway between Toronto and Niagara falls, this B&B is a hidden gem.

Run by Bernie and Verena Tschan, this comfortable, 3 bedroom, bed and breakfast is an ideal base for a 7 day stay in this part of Canada.
Having landed in Toronto Pearson International Airport, an easy 45 minute drive found us pulling off Highway 6 into the community of Mount Hope and then onto the driveway of Homestead House. A beautiful early 20th century brick house with a large porch (the settee is a highly recommended spot to watch the world go by with a cup of coffee) Homestead House's gardens are the product of much work by your hosts (for non Canadian/American travellers look out for the different bird species that pay flying visits) The three bedrooms are all very comfortable, with en-suite facilities with a double and a twin at the front of the house and a larger double to one side. I was travelling with a large amount of camera gear but space was not a problem, I stored the suitcase in the car (if you ask your hosts, they have a large garage store where it could be stowed)

Breakfast here is not a meal, it is an experience! A continental buffet style array of fruit, cereals, bread, cheese, cold cuts and more supplemented by a freshly prepared hot dish. The quality of the food was outstanding and kept you fuelled for the day, but food was only part of our breakfast experience, sharing the table with your fellow guests lead to prolonged and interesting conversation over a diverse range of topics - our record being close on to 2 hour on one occasion.

Bernie and Verena are great hosts, open, friendly and a mine of information making a stay here feel like a great family visit.

There is a range of attractions within easy reach...within a 45-60 minute radius there is;
Toronto;bus or train is an alternative way in.
Niagara Falls; the view from the Canadian side IS the best!
Niagara on the Lake; a beautiful town of mainly early19th Century buildings
Fort George; a faithfully reconstructed fort from the War of 1812 - the British and French took the Napoleonic War 'On Tour".
The Royal Botanical Gardens; Not at their best in August but still very impressive - go in late spring/early summer to be overwhelmed.
More waterfalls than you can shake a stick at!
The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum; A fantastic collection of aircraft, many of them airworthy. With a small amount of pre-planning, and a fee depending on choice, you can fly in anything from a Tiger Moth to a Lancaster Bomber!

A range of venues for evening meals can be found within a ten minute drive.

Canada is a wonderful place and Homestead House is part of that charm. When I go back to Canada (Yes, when not if!) I will spend at least part of my time with Bernie and Verena at Homestead House.

Room Tip: The Red Room is the largest of the doubles BUT unless you are traveling with a huge amount of 's...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Homestead House? Share your experiences!