“Authentic” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Step back to the 1860s at Upper Canada Village. The living history village has original buildings and costumed interpreters. Watch demonstrations and visit the Family Activity Centre for interactive fun.
Hamilton, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This living museum was started in the late 50's as they re-located many old buildings when they built the St. Lawrence Seaway. Most impressive are the working grain, woollen and sawmills. They mill grain to deliver to the on-site bakery, which goes through several hundred pounds of flour a day. The sawmill cuts large logs into barnboard, and the woollen mill is a busy place where rugs are made. The staff who are charged with playing their part in history, give very accurate accounts of life way back when. A great place to visit.

Visited June 2013

Cambridge, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

After visiting Fort Henry my partner and I got complimentary tickets to the village. We decided to extend what was a 2 night stay in Kingston to a 4 day trip staying the 2 extra nights in Brockville a little closer to the village from Kingston. As the weather wasn't the best the park wasn't too busy allowing us to really interact with the artisans in the village. We loved the fact that many old world artisans are actually able to work and assist in making the village as self sustaining as can be. The cheese and bread are not to be missed. They recommend 3 hours for the park but in all honestly 6 hours was barely enough to get through everything. If you are only going to rush through and look 3 hrs maybe but worth the time to talk to the wonderful staff and really take yourself back to 1860. So glad that we decided to stay the couple days longer.

Visited June 2013
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
“History alive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is well worth a visit. You can see how people lived and made things in past. Good family day out.

Visited July 2012
Morrisburg, Canada
“Family Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spend the day there with my grandchildren who found it very interesting and educational. The train ride gave a great view of the river. In the houses, the attendants were geared to explaining the history etc. to children.

Visited August 2012
Ottawa, Canada
48 attraction reviews
“Finally Made It For A Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have always enjoyed visiting historical re-creation sites and I very much approve of rescuing history as much as possible. As I understand it, most if not all of the buidings were rescued from the flooding that happened when the St. Lawrence Seaway was built.

I went with a friend and we didn't get to see the entire site as we got there late in the day. We did get to see about half of the buildings, which ran the gamut from a small tenant cottage to Crysler Hall, which is a mansion. The Hall is done up as visitor's centre so while it does have some displays--including period costumes--it doesn't have the same immersive quality as the other buildings we saw do.

I did enjoy looking into and around all the old buildings and the Village has a number of endangered breeds that they're trying to conserve, like the Derbyshire cows I saw.

The one thing that I will say is that my experience with the people on the site was a bit uneven. A few seemed to be a bit off-putting in dealing with my friend and I, but the vast majority were more than pleasant and informative. I would certainly recommend a visit to the Village--I plan on going back--but I suggest that you go early in the day as this is a site that will take some hours to see properly.

Visited May 2013