“Cottage stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Cottage stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was my 3rd time at Ste. Annes, 1st staying in a cottage.. in the Robin Room.

I was hesitant to stay in a cottage as I like staying at the Main Inn and being connected to everything, but I will definitely stay at a cottage again in the late Spring, Summer and early Fall.

One thing that I didn't know until we arrived was that the staff will shuttle you back and forth to your cottage, which was great when coming back to the cottage at night time after dinner. We walked back and forth all other times, in our robes, lol.

I had the Thai massage which has now become a new favourite treatment of mine. Another favourite is the Moore Mud treatment.

I would recommend booking less treatments, say one or two max per day, and just enjoying the other spaces. We sat and did a puzzle while drinking tea, and spent plenty of time in the hot tubs, saunas etc.

I cannot recommend this place enough! The staff and the property are amazing!

We are looking forward to trying a yoga retreat next time!

I cannot recommend this

SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Christine M,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad that you experienced a spa cottage this time! Really, the cottages are a bit of a hidden gem. We have 14 different spa cottage accommodations, each with their own unique amenities like hot tubs, private yards, living rooms, kitchens, decks and verandas. We find that once our guests join us in a spa cottage, they tend to rebook in cottages again and again!

We look forward to seeing you soon and I am sure that you’ll love the yoga retreat – they’ve become so popular that they sell out months in advance. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are looking for a place that encompasses the best of spa services ,facilities and activity this is the best choice. We wanted a spa vacation with romance and renewal. My husband and I felt reconnected and pampered. The extra options like the equinine program are exceptional. The service and food are 5 star. The staff are welcoming and respectful of your wishes to create your own choices of spa services. However , their expertise in helping you choose the right treatments that target your issues is fantastic. We highly recommend both the overnight packages and the day spa.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear dsrfield,

Thank you for your glowing recommendation! Ste. Anne’s is an excellent choice for romance and renewal – beautiful grounds, cozy accommodations, tranquil environment and a lack of T.V. and technology certainly all helps in the process of reconnecting! Hopefully you will manage to come and see us again this August – the gardens are already stunning!
Ajax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I visited Ste Annes this past April. We had received giftcards for the spa for Christmas from our boyfriends two years ago and finally got around to using them! Wish we had sooner!

The staff were very accommodating. The only time I felt a bit uncomfortable was when my friend and I were in the boutique browsing, the woman working the shop seemed to be following us around and not taking her eyes off of us. She never asked us if we needed assistance, she was just watching us like a hawk. I am 19 years old and work in retail, so I know what it's like to keep an eye out for shop lifters, but just because my friend and I are young adults I don't think that was necessary and it discouraged us from wanting to purchase anything (even though I loved the hand moisurizer).

Other than that, we had a very relaxing day and thoroughly enjoyed our massages, meals, yoga class & all of the facilities! The Ste Annes granola is delicious & I had to make it right when I got home!

I am visiting Ste Annes again in two weeks with my Mom in one of the spa cottages for the night & can't wait!

• Stayed April 2014
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Styrell,

Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you finally had a chance to experience our property and that you are coming back so soon with your Mother! Our spa cottages make for a lovely private getaway with family and friends so I know that you will enjoy it! I will follow-up with our boutique manager regarding your unusual experience. Our goal is of course to be there to assist our guests when they need it, and certainly not to make them feel scrutinized in any way! Thank you again for all of your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2 weeks.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

As soon as we entered the reception, we were greeted by a wonderful man named Raoul. He was actually one of the highlights of our stay as we saw him on several occasions and was just a delight to be around!

Our spa treatments were lovely, the grounds are beautiful, the cottage was quaint. The food at the restaurant overall was very nice. Service was nice. However, here is where the experience changed for us a bit. I am gluten-free and there are a lot of options to choose from at St. Anne's for this, so that's a positive note. They even have an off-site certified gluten-free bakery and all their desserts I was told are gluten-free as well.

At breakfast, however, there was a whole back and forth about the bread I received with my gluten-free frittata (also labeled as gluten-free on the menu). I received what looked like regular bread. I asked our waitress about it and she ensured me it was gluten-free bread. I had a feeling it wasn't so I asked her to ask again in the kitchen. She came back and ensured me it was gluten-free bread. I then insisted that she take it into the kitchen to SHOW to the chefs to ensure it was indeed gluten-free, and alas I was right, they confirmed that it was regular bread. I was told that it was neither gluten-free or not, and I still have no idea what that means.

Anyway, I was going to simply include this incident in my review after we got home, but at check- out I was asked how our stay was and I said for the most part it was nice. The ladies at reception asked me for more details and I mentioned this incident to them. Right away they apologized for this experience and said they would go and rectify this with their staff immediately. They appreciated that this was no joke. For me it's a mild irritation, but for someone who is indeed allergic or has celiac, this is nothing to laugh at, and they appreciated that fact. In addition, they also offered us a nice gesture of a discount accounting for breakfast, and I appreciated it even though it was not my goal. But it was nice of them.

Tips for patrons and management:

For those who are gluten-free I would suggest that you take your health into your own hands and if something seems suspicious to you, make it known. Do not be shy about it, do not feel bad about it. Speak up and be persistent because if I didn't and wasn't I would have ended up eating gluten. Trust your instincts.

For St. Anne's management, I would suggest 1) make sure all your staff understands what gluten is and also know the menu inside-out. Make sure they are sensitive to people's dietary restrictions. 2) If you have gone to such lengths as to get your bakery certified as gluten-free, why serve anything with gluten at all? It would make it so much easier I think for your patrons and for your staff if you had a gluten-free facility altogether. I understand not everyone is gluten-free, however, your gluten-free products are so good, it's not like it's a sacrifice. And I know there are other dietary restrictions that people have, like no nuts or dairy, but I think the gluten-free diet has become very popular among people, whether they are sensitive to it or not. Just a suggestion since you already have a gluten-free bakery why not carry it through? The dairy and nut warnings can still be put on the menu for those who are allergic to those, but perhaps the whole menu can be gluten-free since you really can't tell the difference in taste anyway. Just a suggestion as I've seen other spas do it; I think Grail Springs does it. :-)

Otherwise a lovely experience. Will be back.

Room Tip: If you are tall you may not like the Gables Cottage as the beds are on the small side and the quarte...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Gourmetfoodie3333,

Thank you for your review of our property, and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re happy that you had a lovely time and enjoyed your meals, the grounds and your accommodation, and that Raoul and our guest services team made your experience even more memorable!

We also appreciate your honest feedback with regards to your dining room experience. At one point, we did begin the transition towards a full gluten-free menu, but overwhelming guest feedback indicated that our guests preferred to have the option of gluten-free rather than have it be the only option, so we listened! As a destination spa specializing in gluten-free options though, please rest assured that we’ve taken your feedback very seriously and will ensure that every member of our team is provided with additional training to ensure that this does not occur again.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I really hate to give such an average rating for a hotel/resort that really tries to pamper and please their guests. I did the day spa with friends and I'm not sure how this is considered one of the best/top spa destinations in Ontario. It's quite picturesque but the quality of the spa services and meals were subpar to average.

Spa treatments:
The staff seem very young and the treatments and services aren't as polished as some other hotel spa's (Ritz Carleton Toronto, Piller and the Post in Niagara on the Lake, Old Mill in Toronto).

I had the signature facial for $120. It was quite mediocre and not sure I would ever recommend having a facial treatment here again. The treatment was not quite 1 hour (more like 50 minutes once your settled in) so in hindsight I should have just booked the 0.75 hour facial for $85. There is a foot scrub prior to beginning the facial which eats up the time. I did not get a skin analysis - I just requested for some anti aging products to be used for my facial. I don't know if this was done but I assume it was. The service person did not really inform me what they were using other than Ste. Anne's spa's own line.
There were no extractions or any type of steam (application of a hot towel is used) to aid in skin exfoliation. There is a facial massage, which I thought was weird and awkward (more like a deep rub between fingers rather than a soothing massage with circular motions). It seemed like minimal application of products and I'm used to various and layers of facial cleansing products for the eye area, face and neck. I don't think there was any eye treatment and no product was used for the neck region.

I believe all the facials are similarly priced so I don't think I would ever go for another facial again because I just don't feel that the treatment and product was worth it.

Massage: Note to staff, please refrain from patronizing clients about bad postures with sitting and lying and stressing the importance of stretches with exercises. You must know that 99.9% of client's coming to your spa understand that one should stretch prior to exercises but muscles do become stiff - that's why we come for massages! Maybe it's for education purposes but I generally didn't find the information shared helpful and was put off. The massage again was average - nothing to rave about but I would consider it again.

Other facilities:
Hiking trail (red trail) was nice but it is a bit of a trek in the heat - probably wouldn't recommend it if your pregnant. It would be nice to include some plaques that may explain the importance of some sites (e.g., Angel statue).
Yoga/wellness class was gentle and enjoyable. This was a nice way to relax for an extra $10.
Pool - too cool to try the outdoor pool but the grotto and steam room were great.

Meals:
Lunch left very little to be desired. I would not bring my husband to this resort because of the lunch...the portion sizes were very small and I'm not a big eater. The meal was rather bland and I wish there was another place on site to grab a sandwich. I hope they revamp the menu. Having a soup/salad and sandwich combo would probably hit the spot and taste better than the food they are currently serving.

High tea was 10x better...the food served is much more tastier and I wish I had this for lunch instead.

Generally, for the 1.5 hour commute, I think there are better places to visit closer to home for spa treatments. For the general setting (picturesque and tranquil environment) it was stunning. I just wished that the meals and spa experience measured up to the setting but it fell flat. I probably won't come again for a very very long time. It's definitely a place to try once but I think I'd be incredibly bored if I stayed past one night. I mean, how many spa treatments can a person do? The place is widely laid out, so you would need to take a short trek to visit the horses and the fitness facilities. Maybe offer golf carts for quick tours of the resort during busy time periods?

I can see that this place is very expensive to run as a business and I think it has so much potential but it's just not quite hitting the mark.

SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear AKCToronto: Thank you for taking time to review your day spa visit to Ste. Anne's. I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I have called you to follow up, and look forward to having an opportunity to respond to your concerns in person. However, I will also cover your main points in this forum for the benefit of other TripAdvisor users.

First of all, I want to thank you for your many compliments about the staff and the grounds. You are quite right in your observation that our staff our not as "polished" as the staff you might find at some other "spas" - this is deliberate. One of the reasons that our guests love coming to Ste. Anne's and return time after time is that they find our staff to be very genuine and real, without pretense or attitude, thus putting our guests instantly at ease. I believe that this is one of our greatest strengths.

You observe that the facial you booked wasn't as thorough as you are used to receiving in some of the other spas that you have visited. By using our all natural Ste. Anne's Skin Nourishment product line, our estheticians are able to make a facial a more relaxing and less jarring experience for your sking than you may be used to. The product does the work, without the pain of extractions or hot steam. We start the treatment with a relaxing foot soak, not to shorten the length of the treatment, but to help you relax and get into the zone. Ste. Anne's is all about relaxing.

Your observation about portion size at lunch leaves me a little perplexed. Ste. Anne's is an all-inclusive resort, so if a portion size leaves you wanting, simply order more! Many of our guests will order 2 appetizers, 2 main courses and 2 desserts. I'm sorry that you didn't take advantage of this opportunity to sample the many healthy choices that our team of chefs use to tease the palate with.

You observe that the property is large - at 400 acres, this is quite true. Many guests love to explore the property, from the main inn to the guest cottages, to our work out facility, to the pools and hot tubs, to the gluten free bakery, and to the horse stables through our extensive network of walking trails. Others prefer to take advantage of our bicycles or our complimentary shuttle service. Again, I'm sorry that you missed out on this feature of the property.

All in all, I think where we failed you most is in not insisting that you and your friend come for an overnight stay as opposed to a day visit. Many people don't realize how stressed their lives have become, and as such don't take the time they need for themselves to truly recover - to find the time to smell the roses, so to speak. I hope that when you do return to Ste. Anne's you will give us the opportunity to better guide you in the selection of a spa escape that will meet your needs.

Yours sincerely, Jim Corcoran, Owner & General Manager.
Brighton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We shared our photos of our Day at St. Anne's with our senior friends and a lot of them never even thought of such a treat... What a gift to give your parents, most don't know what to buy for ageing parents . This is an experience they wont forget.
We Loved the entire package - We just celebrated our 75 and were hoping we would get this much needed gift as we had moved from one home to another and worked very hard towards this move that all took place within 6 weeks - tired and happy at 75 to be able to make this transition. HIGHLY RECOMMEND...... Irene and n
Norman Bastin - Brighton Ontario. have great photos to email if you like -don't know how to do it here.... lovelovelove ST.ANNE'S

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear happiness397,

Thank you for your kind remarks - we are so glad that you were able celebrate such a milestone birthday here! Thank you also for being such great ambassadors and sharing the Ste. Anne's experience with your friends. We would be happy to share any photos that you have on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages if you like. Just send them to info@steannes.com.

Hopefully we will see you again soon!
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

When you arrive at Ste. Anne's Spa and settled in your room, you put on this luxurious white bathrobe and now you are set for the experience you have been dreaming of! Everyone is walking around in their bathrobes so you do not have to feel out of place. The spa is breath taking, the treatment rooms are situated in an ever ending twist and turn in the basement. The staff is very professional whether in the dining room, front desk or while having your treatment of choice. We stayed one night and will certainly return.

Room Tip: They are all a little different so it won't make a difference to your stay.
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear fancynancy28,

Thank you for your kind words. Certainly donning the fluffy white robe for the duration of your visit is a quintessential part of the Ste. Anne’s experience! I will share your compliments with our spa, dining and guest services teams and thank you again for choosing to spend your vacation with us!

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!