“Unbelievable.....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gordon's Lodge

Gordon's Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gore Bay
Gordon's Lodge
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1 Water Street, Manitoulin Island | PO Box 324, Gore Bay, Ontario P0P 1H0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Gore Bay
Chatham, Canada
“Unbelievable.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

On March 22, 2013 we checked into the Gordon Lodge. Like everyone else there is a gratuity rate added. We were booked into room 25 ...pulled back the covers of both beds to discover dead something in both beds (on closer examination the looked like dead fleas). I called the office and immediately had a return call and the woman in charge, she never did introduce herself but did speak to my husband in Mexican when he booked in.....she further told him she did it because she has frequently went to Mexico and Jaimaca on business she works for the banks...hmm). We were the transferred to room 27 the room with the view. It has not been updated since the 60's....the bathroom was full of mould only painted over by layers and layers of paint. When we turned up the heat the ceiling by the patio door leaked throughout the evening, kind of like a water torture. We made the most of it, laughing of the horrors of it all. The last laugh was when we went in for our breakfast. We were greeted with a very friendly older woman who was the owner's mother. Her and her husband were giving the kids a break as they have such busy schedules you know, running the lodge. she offered us coffee and juice and asked us if we would like brown or white toast. We had made our order of brown toast, and she delivered it shortly after. We ate it and then waited over half hour and no one returned to take our "inclusive" breakfast order. About this time a cute deer wandered out on the driveway, we went into lobby to watch it. While there we heard this lovely lady yell back to her husband, they left. I went back in to let her know we were still there and hoping she was going to offer breakfast. She did not. I asked how we check out, she asked her husband and he said he really didn't know maybe jsut leave the key on the counter. We did and left in a fit of giggles. You know if everything had gone wonderful we would probably forget about this trip of many we make to the Island, however, with the comedy of errors of it all we will probably remember it 'til the day we die. The unfortunate part of it all is that we had to pay for it. My recomendation to anyone....drive up take a look and tell the owner no thank you....we read about you....we just wanted a look to see if this is for real......have a great day.....

Room Tip: just go for a look and tell them know thanks we heard about you....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This place slips in a gratuity donation of $99.44 for a three day stay. It must be in fine print somewhere on the initial paper you sign when getting your room. The room was ok but no air conditioning. Soap is some type of chippy thing. Breakfast was satisfactory. We have been told by other Gore Bay persons that Gordon's Lodge has been. Problem place for years.

Stayed August 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Same as Jon C happened to me.
I took that road because of the sign that there is a restaurant and as the road ended I turned around my car and parked it in order to ask at the office where the restaurant is. As soon as I got out of the car a young woman asked me wheter I want to check in and I said no and wanted to ask her about the restaurant. She did not let me speak and repeatedly (and in a very rude way) said that I got to leave this property immediately.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

In all our years enjoying Manitoulin Island with all it's beauty and kind, friendly down to earth people, we came across a shocking experience on a nice tour up to Gordon's Lodge. We have seen lots of deer up that way for years previously. It was to be a nice relaxing ride.......yikes!!! We no sooner got there (intending to just turn around and head back down), when a lady (well, I will say a female!) came running out to tell us we were tresspassing. I apologized, but she kept yelling....screaming at us.....again I apologized and we just wanted to get out of there.....a man (well, I will say a male) came out as well and the both of them were yelling at us. Well with all the ruckus and shock of it all, it is hard to get turned around!!! (especially with them surrounding the truck!!) We finally headed out and the female made ridiculous and vulgar body language....AND the male...took off his jacket and came running after the truck!!! All along they had not stopped yelling and by this time, my partner was ready to get out of the truck and face this idiot, but of course, I had begged him to just get out of there! (I almost wished I hadn't!!) I was shaken for hours afterwards...we were both bewildered at what had just happened. We spoke with numerous other people afterwards who suggested we go to the police.....another relayed the fact that this is what these people do. I kept thinking of nice elderly people taking a nice drive up there...only to face a nightmare!!! Or couples and their children. These people do NOT belong on Manitoulin and I do wish so very much they lose their business!!!! I am not sure where these people belong!!! Please people do not let this hellish place disuade you from the beauty of Manitoulin......just do not go there!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was ready to come home and write this great review !! We were treateed great, room service , etc. We left tips for the people delivering our food and stuff because we were told it was "all about us " it was great ! Then I read these reviews and checked my bill they added $206 for a gratuity fee ??? No one informed us about that at any time !!! Not once !! The pot of coffee for our deck in the morning that was offered to us cost $12 on top of that ..we are so very disappointed now, will NOT be reccomending it to anyone !

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

On a recent trip we ended up at Gordon's Lodge - Gore Bay. After checking in without any problems at all we had lunch in town where our waiter warned us about Gordons. Now concerned, we checked out the reviews. All terrible! We were however committed by then and upon checkout we were NOT dissappointed. We never met the "rude woman" highlighted in other reviews. Our dinner was average and our breakfast very good (both included in price). The manager on duty was exceptionally accomodating and very nice - both a local resident and long time employee. We were expecting the worst but it never materialized. Yes the bathroom had paper wrapped soap and little packages of shampoo etc, but it is not the Hilton, Marriott or the Ritz and we've stayed at them all. It's not a luxury lodge nor is it advertised as one but it had clean towels, bedding - fresh paint. Our room was clean and comfortable and it's Gore Bay after all - not downtown New York. We were looking for that days accomodation on a road trip and fell upon/decided upon on Gordon's. We never experienced any of the negative claims experienced by others. Service was friendly/courteous. Dinning room had a nice atmosphere. Food was average to good, the staff accomodating with Corona's in a bucket of ice etc upon request - no issues at all. . We think the competition may be responsible for some negative comments. Our bill for staying one night was what we expected with no excessive/unwarranted charges experienced. If in Gore Bay again, we would return/stay at Gordon's given the local choices on Manitoulin Island. It was what we expected and met our objectives.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I would never recommend this place to anyone. We were told when booking The rate was$120.00 per night plus tax which included breakfast. We were staying for 3nights. The room was adequate but was only about a 1-2star with nothing to sit a suitcase on except the floor, soap was almost non existent, had to ask for toilet paper and there were no chairs on the patio, coffee maker or mini fridge. When we had the included breakfast we tipped the server and it wasn't refused. When leaving, we were given a sealed envelope and told everything had been taken care of. Upon returning home, we opened the envelope and found a 20% gratuity had been added to the bill without our knowledge. The 20% was levied on everything including the tax. We have had no response to phone calls or a letter written to discuss this matter. P

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gordon's Lodge? Share your experiences!