“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Fort Frances

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family has stayed at this hotel to visit our family in Fort Frances ever since it opened years ago. In the past we have had nothing but glowing reviews for it and would rate it 5 stars. It seems however that new ownership and management have decided to let the hotel go downhill. We stayed for 2 nights to end 2012, and were not at all happy.

As others have reviewed, the pool and hot tub were not working. Nothing was told to us upon check-in and nothing was posted about this until we complained after I unknowingly jumped into the zero-temperature pool. From what the night desk person told us, they have been not working for a while now and they have no idea when they will get around to fixing them. As we have a young child, this pool and hot tub are big draws when staying in the Fort, so we would have liked to know about this before checking in. As the price on the rooms here are going up quite a bit over the last few years, you do have choice in Fort Frances, so no pool does make a difference.

There were also other smaller issues with the experience that have turned us off wanting to stay at this once great hotel. There was garbage left in the room on the floor that was under the lip of the bed, showing that the cleaners weren't being that thorough when looking around. As per a prior review, I also had problemns with the WiFi. It would drop every once and a while and I had to be in one corner of the room for it to get any reception. Many breakfast items were missing both mornings when we got there around 9am. As breakfast went until 10am, I would think that they would stock the correct amount of food or replenish when needed. As stated in an earlier review, the pricing on the rooms seems random. Eventhough the difference never seems to be more than $10 per room, it still seems wrong as rooms booked at the same time and the same way should be spot on. The televisions in the room are also quite old and the picture is not great with snow being found on many channels. Again, not a big problem, but proof that the hotel is on it's way down.

The overall cleanliness of the hotel was still good, the breakfast (if fully stocked) was good quality, and the location is very good. The evening desk person was very nice and helpful and seemed almost frustrated herself at the problems with the hotel and the fact that they were not being fixed. The cleaning staff were also very friendly. The person at the desk at checkout during the morning seemed like she had no idea what she was doing however and was not at all happy to be there.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 106 or 108 as these are right next to the laudry room and the ice machine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
super8ff, General Manager at Super 8 Fort Frances, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest
We always welcome suggestions so if there is anything else that you feel we should add, do let us know. Pleae feel free to contact my self at the hotel to discuss this more .
Kind regards Nikki
THUNDER BAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family stayed here while visiting family. We last stayed here in the summer for a week. The staff are excellent, and the hotel is clean and in a good location. The pool was so cold e could not use, the hot tub was broken as it was in the summer and the staff told me the steam room has been broken forever. Time to call a repairman and have them fixed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

super8ff, General Manager at Super 8 Fort Frances, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments about Super 8 Fort Frances. We do apologize about the pool and hot tub not working. We always welcome suggestions so if there is anything else that you feel we should add, do let us know. I look forward to welcoming you back to Super 8 Hotel in Fort Frances when you are in area again . Kind regards Nikki
Ontario's Near North, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed here for a week while I was working in Fort Frances. I checked in late in the day and my room was ready when I arrived. Did not have to wait to check in and was in my room within 5 minutes. My room was being paid by a third party and they did not even ask for a credit card for incidentals.
Room was clean - a basic room with newer furnishings. No complaints, but nothing spectacular.

This hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and Walmart, but is not close to downtown if you are walking to work in the morning (which I was).

The pool was nice, as was the hot tub. The hotel is next door to a gym, which is great as I was gone for a whole week.

I would stay here again if ever in the town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
super8ff, General Manager at Super 8 Fort Frances, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Super 8 Motel Fort Frances. Glad you had an great experience.

Hope you can have the chance to stay with us again when you are in the area.

Nikki
Dryden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a nice Hotel with average amenities. What makes it better is the staff. They add value in with their genuine friendliness. This still does not help when it comes to the difficulty with the Internet Connection. This is the only hotel that I have problems with accessing the Internet. i also would appreciate a more water pressure in the shower,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Been to Super 8 Fort Frances? Share your experiences!