“Wonderful week!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Park Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Deer Park Lodge
You added Deer Park Lodge to your Saves list
PO Box 2099, Bayfield, Bluewater, Ontario N0M 1G0, Canada   |
AnnArbor, MI
“Wonderful week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

My family has been spending one or two weeks every summer for many years at Deer Park Lodge. We enjoy the park-like common areas, the clean cozy cabins, the swimming pool, and the wonderful beach. Deer Park is close to Grand Bend, London,and Stratford for those rainy days. My wife started going to Bayfield as a child and now we go with our grandchildren. It is a great place to spend a week or two together.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

My family and I have been going to Deer Park Lodge for several years now. We love the atmosphere. It's very relaxing, the staff is very helpful and the cottages very cozy and clean. There's a beautiful view of the lake from the cottage we stay in. I love, love, love this place!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I heard about Deer Park from a friend and although she had some problems during her stay we assumed it was an isolated incident and not likely to happen again.

I booked two nights in June and was looking forward to a relaxing getaway. When we arrived on the Thursday afternoon there was no one in the office but a note was left for us to contact someone on the CB. After about 5 minutes a woman showed up and signed us in.

We had booked a one bedroom apartment in the triplex. When we got to the apartment we could clearly hear the conversation of the people in the next apartment. We returned to the office, waited another 5 minutes for someone to turn up and asked to be moved. The woman (she was working on the property, we never did see the owners) said the owners had been afraid of noise problems when they had done the renovations.

We were moved to a cabin that had "just been cleaned". We moved into the cabin and it was a good size and quiet and we thought it would be fine.

We like rustic, we like cottages, we do not like dirt. I don't understand how the cabin could be this dirty at the beginning of the season or since it had just been cleaned. The fridge and microwave were both dirty, there was jam? on the kitchen table, the kettle had A LOT of buildup inside of it and the bath tub had stains. The linens were worn but appeared to be clean. The futon in the front room was very worn and uncomfortable to sit on. We settled in for the night - the beds were comfortable and I did have a good sleep.

We were up at 7:00 the next morning and we both decided that this was not going to be relaxing getaway we had hoped for and decided we would rather be in our own home. We didn't want to wait around and hope someone would eventually show up so we ended up leaving at 7:30am. There was no mailbox or mail slot at the locked office so I slid the note/explanation and the key under the door.

I was expecting/hoping that the owners would contact me for a follow-up but this never happened. A few weeks ago I emailed the owners and asked them to please contact me - again nothing ( I was contacted very quickly when I wanted to make the reservation). I had said I thought charging us for one night would be reasonable since the property was not fully booked and they didn't have to turn anyone away. Yesterday I received my credit card bill and saw that they had charged us the full amount. This turned out to be $319 for less than a 16-hour stay.

Be aware that there is no lake view from the property since there are a lot of trees between the cabins and lake. The beach is lovely but the metal stairs to get down to the beach are steep and not quite as they appear in the photos. Getting to and from the beach would be quite difficult for anyone with mobility problems or for young children.

This is a nice area of Ontario but I would strongly suggest you look for somewhere else to stay. My friend and I both stayed here at different times this spring and we both had bad experiences.

I can only think the owners are not concerned about repeat guests or word of mouth. This situation could have been handled so much differently if the owners had had the courtesy to contact me as I had asked.

• Liked — Nice area of Ontario.
  • Disliked — Dirty and very worn. Lack of response/respect from the owners.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I went here and booked two cottages for my birthday weekend in April, so it was off-season so the pricing wasn't too bad. It's a family orientated place, but because no one else was booked for this specific weekend, the owner allowed me and a group of friends to book the cottages anyway, since there was no possibility of disturbing others.

The cottages were sooo cute, and very very clean. They were cozy and warm. The cottage I stayed in had a private firepit in the back. And every morning, I would wake up and stand at the back standing at the edge of a cliff (with a fence... so its safe) and watch the sun rise above the lake.

The owner was ABSOLUTELY amazing, and actually allowed us to stay an entire extra day until later that night, as opposed to checking out in the morning, because we had bad weather, and because no one else was coming.

My bf actually left his hat in one of the cottages, and she called him, and mailed him it for free.

Very friendly place and environment. I can't WAIT to go back. Actually, I'm jealous I'm not there right now.

I would recommend this to ANYONE!

Its in a small little town, on a private beach with a little gazebo with a BBQ and chairs and canoes and everything (for free). Also, firepits are located on the beach.

Downtown was really cute and nice to walk down and its only a 30 minute drive to Grand Bend and a 2 minute drive to the grocery store.

For a family, this would be a very quiet and fun place for young children.

However, for me, as a teenager, with about 10 other teenagers, it was a blast... because we had the privledge to book it anyway because no one else was there. <3

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Deer Park Lodge? Share your experiences!