“Superb!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Pump Inn

The Red Pump Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
The Red Pump Inn
You added The Red Pump Inn to your Saves list
21 Main Street South, Bayfield, Bluewater, Ontario, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Rooms were spectacular! Each one different and unique. Historic Bayfield is a great place for a winter or summer getaway and The Red Pump is the best accommodation in Ontario! Loved it! We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stratford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The food was good ... Very over priced for the portions though ... Our service on the other hand was a different story .. We would ask questions and the server always said " I think ... I'm not sure ". He didn't have any character and forgot to bring my desert out I ordered as well as my friend ordered a drink and he's like now ? And of course she wanted it then .... Just not the greatest service at all

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a wonderful room with a balcony overlooking Main St. last summer. Spacious, just a touch creaky (as fits with an old building), beautifully decorated and modern amenities. Breakfast was served in our room. Fantastic bathroom. Loved the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

we had lunch last week . e sat out on the patio...where upon being seated the table never got wiped down from previous diners. Our server told us the lunch selections and then proceeded to answer a few questions...Are The Mussels Fresh? He said yes and they were far from fresh. I have had better frozen mussels. he crab cakes were small and over spiced with curry... Not worth the 14$ that is for sure. We asked for a couple of buns and we were told that they don't do bread at lunch... You can buy a bread loaf off menu for 3$. Now this is a fine dining establishment with fine dining prices and they can't put a bread basket on the table... That just blows my mind...... he soup was bean and kale and the beans were hard as bullets... 100.00 for lunch and nothing really satisfying...

• Stayed September 2013
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just stopped at the restaurant for lunch with 2 friends on Sunday ( August 10th). We were seated in the back garden, a lovely setting. We were given menus and then completely ignored. We watched as other people were seated, given menus and water and had their order taken. Staff looked at our table but never came over. We finally got up an left. On the way out I explained that we had waited 15minutes with out service. There was no offer to assist us, no apology or explanation of any kind. Possibly we did not look rich enough to warrant their attention. Lovely as it looks, I would not go there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We are from the Boston area and spoiled by the Cape Cod beaches, so our expectations of Lake Huron were low (I am ashamed to say). So imagine our surprise to find this lovely town on the beautiful shores of Lake Huron with soft sand beaches, the sounds of the ocean, driftwood, sea-glass, small waves to play in, local people making the trek down the steep climb to the water, and watching a glorious sunset over the vast horizon of Huron.

We arrived at the Red Pump Inn and were confused about where to check-in, finally finding the desk in the antique shop. For those of us old enough to know "Petticoat Junction" ... the Innkeeper Harry seemed like “Uncle Joe” who has been the owner too long. I found myself in an intellectual struggle the entire weekend trying to understand how a clever, artistic, and capable man who had created this very comfortable, well-designed luxurious Inn could act so disconnected. So although the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, aside from a down bed in Scotland, the artwork on the walls were imported from Europe, the bathroom was spotless and had an old-fashioned style tub, our front deck overlooked the quaint town and beautiful trees, I was worried about Harry. I could not fully enjoy my stay because I was troubled that he seemed so unhappy.

We did laugh at the plate brought to our room on Saturday morning for continental breakfast. They agreed to accommodate my gluten intolerance (the restaurant folks were cordial about this); however, the maid who delivered the tray “didn’t know nothin’ about it.” The full brunch on Sunday did take away the sting of the pitiful tray presented the previous day and it was quite good.

The grounds of the hotel were beautifully designed with colorful perennials and trees and a fountain in the restaurant garden that provided a zen-like sound. The Red Pump Restaurant food was good, but not great, similar to the wait staff. Both the restaurant and the Inn were pricey, thus the expectation for superior service was disappointing. Our final concern was the smell of sewer or a dead animal (?) along the porch to the entry to our room that hit us every time we left.

Overall, our stay was nice … but I’m still finding myself thinking about Harry.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the front of the main building with the porch that overlooks the town.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Red Pump Inn as part of our honeymoon. We got the largest suite that has a private garden and paid quite a bit for the room. When we first got there, we were impressed by the beauty of room. We thought that it was going to be a great experience, but were not entirely right. I was shocked by how bad the service was, especially given the amount that we paid for the room. No one asked us if we needed help with our bags. At 9:00 p.m., we needed help with something in our room and there was literally no one around to speak with (someone at the restaurant generously came over to help us, but I was shocked that the hotel had absolutely no one on call for us). Our private garden was tiny and not so private after all (it looked out on to the trash cans and the path leading to other rooms. When we checked out, the owner was an unfriendly cold fish who didn't even ask whether we enjoyed our stay. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again and feel that I didn't get value for my money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Pump Inn? Share your experiences!