“Wonderful food, service and waterfall view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ancaster Mill

The Ancaster Mill
548 Old Dundas Road, Ancaster, Hamilton, Ontario L9G 3J4, Canada (Formerly The Ancaster Old Mill Inn)
905-648-1827
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ancaster Mill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Ancaster
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wilson Street
Description: The beautifully restored Ancaster Mill boasts a picturesque and Historic setting. The Dining Room features floor-to-ceiling windows with panoramic views of waterfalls and naturally landscaped gardens. The interior decor accents the authentic look with warm earth tones and large stone fireplaces, creating a relaxing atmosphere. Ancaster is home to one of Canada"s most diverse and productive agricultural regions. With seasonal offerings inspired by Landmark Group's Earth to Table philosophy, Ancaster Mill's menus offer impeccable local ingredients from neadby farms and food artisans. The Ancaster Mill beverage selection compliments this with featured signature drinks and an expansive Wine List, including several by-the-glass selections.
Ontario
“Wonderful food, service and waterfall view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband surprised me for our anniversary dinner here. From the moment we entered the restaurant the service was excellent and attentive.

We were given a glass of champagne to celebrate our special day.

The warm arugula salad was very good. I had the tenderloin steak as the main and profiteroles for dessert. My husband enjoyed the chicken as his main dish for dinner.

I like that there was a great selection of local area wines to choose from.

We had a table by the window that looked out onto the waterfall..wonderful view. Each dish was spaced out and you never felt rushed throughout the meal.

We were married at the Mill 5 years ago and my husband surprised me with an anniversary dinner there.

Definitely recommend reservations so that you won't be disappointed. We went on a Thursday night and the restaurant was full.

Definitely a special restaurant for an special occasion. I can't wait to return again!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Restaurant with a capital R”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful Atmosphere...
Outside views to the waterfall are phenomenal...
Great service
And in top of all... The food...
Quality and presentation at its best.
A place to return

Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Stunning View Reminded me of Fallingwater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My sister and brother-in-law treated me to a birthday lunch here recently. It was my first visit and it was indeed a special and delightful experience. The heritage mill itself is located in a beautiful relaxed wooded setting, most impressive because of the view of the waterfall-fed creek which flows down from the Niagara escarpment. The feeling of the venue was reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater in Pennsylvania. The dining room's rustic beams and huge stone fireplace along with the welcoming staff added to the charm of the causal, elegant atmosphere.
The cuisine itself offered seasonal ingredients from local farms and naturally raised meats. I had the steak frites which was a little different from others I've ordered. The steak wasn't exactly a steak, rather sliced beef topped with a poached egg, and the frites were rather large, really French fries but they tasted good. My sister had the lamb with polenta and my brother-in-law had the pickerel fish and chips. It was very tasty. More attention to small details could truly bring it into the five star category - for example the cold breadbasket with an overly sweet spread, and a rather officious waitress (but not for long with my sister's disarm of her. I gather the one challenge they have is consistency and indeed it is an obstacle since the prices are in the five star range. The wine was excellent, and the lattes and coffee deliciously hot. We didn't sample desserts, and they weren't pushed.

Should you choose to poke around a bit, you'll find interesting heritage photos and newsy bits on the walls and the grinding wheel from the old mill on display on two levels.

HINT: The trick here is to make a reservation in the large room beside the waterfall. It would be disappointing to sit in an area without this view.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton Ontario
“Very elegant dining - great atmosphere and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very nice view in the dining room of the mill waterfall. Food is amazing - very well presented and prepared. Highly recommend for special occassions.

4 Star all around

• Visited August 2013
Burlington, Canada
“Fantastic dinner with beautiful ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Gorgeous property with a stunningly decorated interior. Very relaxing environment with a chill vibe yet still fine dining.

The menu was spectacular. A lot of organic and vegetarian options which was fantastic. The steak was prepared impeccably. Everything we ordered was mouth watering and you wanted more.

We had Jon L. as our server. Great personality and he took care of us with such class and professionalism, yet still added humour.

I highly recommend The Ancaster Old Mill, especially for a romantic dinner like an Anniversary as it would provide the experience you would be looking for. Also, just an enjoyable place to go for a high quality meal and nice evening out.

• Visited July 2013