“Oak Island Resort - The Perfect Wedding Venue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre

You added Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre to your Saves list
Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   36 Treasure Drive, Western Shore, Nova Scotia B0J 3M0, Canada (Formerly Atlantica Hotel & Marina Oak Island)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Western Shore
Halifax, NS
“Oak Island Resort - The Perfect Wedding Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My husband, 3- year-old daughter and I shared one of Oak Island's chalets for my brother's wedding last weekend. It was a fabulous experience and it was perfect as a wedding venue. Our family and the bride's family had all but one of the chalets down by the water so we never had to worry about making too much noise which was a relief for us, and probably for the hotel too since a large group was up until the wee hours following the rehearsal party on the Friday night! The location of the chalets is just a short walk from the main building, the spa, pools, restaurant, etc. There are about 10 chalets, all with kitchens (small, but they did the trick for us, and my mother made seafood chowder for 100 guests in ours!) a nice-sized deck and a fire pit out front. The size of the chalets varies however most have one bedroom on the main level with two twin beds, a sofa-bed in the living room and a bedroom upstairs next to the bathroom with a queen sized bed. It was of a very adequate size for the five of us. The only draw-back of the chalets is that they do not have air-conditioning. (The rooms in the main building do however.) With the way our Nova Scotian summers go however, I don't think this would be much of an issue during most stays, especially with the nice breeze coming off of the water. We just left our windows open and made good use of the fans that were provided. The decor in the cottages is a tad out-dated and the bedding, curtains and furniture could stand a bit of an upgrade but the beds were all very comfortable and the linens were soft and smooth. There is also a propane fireplace in each cottage, although we certainly didn't have the need for it with the beautiful weather we enjoyed during our stay. I can see how this would be wonderful during the cooler months though.

With the wedding, we were back and forth from the main building quite a bit. My husband and daughter as well as many other wedding guests really enjoyed the outdoor pool overlooking the ocean and the famous Oak Island. Many of our group walked the path/causeway that lead across the water on the property and said it was really beautiful. Several of us in the wedding party really enjoyed the full-service spa on site. It is lovely with soft music and a multitude of services. The only thing that perturbed me about it was that on Friday afternoon, my mother and I had a manicure and we were told that there was a promotion that gave us a free polish with our service so we each chose one and realized after we were already home and looked at our receipts that we had actually been charged for the polish. So I think there was a lack of communication between the estheticians and the spa's front desk. Oh well. Minor issue for us.

As for the hair salon, which all of us in the wedding party made great use of on Saturday before the wedding, there is an absolutely FANTASTIC stylist who works there. Her name is Veronica. She has been doing hair for 40 years and she is very talented and wonderful to talk to. I enjoyed her stories so much, I could have stayed in the chair much longer than I had to! I can't say enough about how wonderful this lady was. She gave me exactly what I wanted with my up-do and I believe all of the other women, including the bride, were very pleased too.

The wedding itself took place down on the lawn in front of our chalets, so right on the water. Once the staff had set up the chairs in front of the archway that my father had made, and white rose petals were sprinkled down the grassy aisle, it was a beautiful picture. The bridal party emerged for their entrance from the cottage closest to the set-up. It was perfect!

We all went to Lunenburg (about 20 minutes away) for pictures but the other guests enjoyed a wonderful reception in the Bluenose Room (main building) while we were gone. There was an air-conditioned room with the bar and easy access to the deck outside so when we arrived, people were milling about in both areas with their drinks, just waiting for the dinner. I thought the room was going to be an average ball room but when they opened the two sets of doors to reveal the banquet set-up, it was gorgeous. The meal itself was pretty average for a banquet wedding meal (salad to start, pork or chicken entree and a yummy chocolate dessert). Service was great considering there was another large wedding happening down the hall as well. A couple of guests said their still-full wine glasses were taken away when they got up from the table to go to the bathroom or to talk to other guests so that was puzzling but other than that, everything went very smooth.

I did hear that some of the guests in the main building had trouble sleeping due to noise from the other wedding so I was glad that our after-party was once again contained down by the chalets! Again, no guilt!

Breakfast in the restaurant each morning was mediocre but I only tried the buffet. I think I heard dinner in the restaurant was very tasty although I didn't get the chance to enjoy it myself so don't quote me on that... The servers were all very friendly and that always counts for a lot in my books.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I would definitely go back to enjoy it again with a smaller group or just with my family or a few friends. I heard it had gotten run down a few years back but the renovations they have done are very impressive. It is a beautiful spot with a lot of things to enjoy - from treasure hunt tours to spa to nature walks... they are doing a really fabulous job and we are so happy my brother and his new wife chose to have their wedding there!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience while staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with such great feedback. We are constantly striving to improve our product and service and we are proud to hear that our efforts are noticed and enjoyed. Your feedback will be passed along to the management and staff of the resort so we can ensure our wonderful staff (such as Veroncia) are commended for a job very well done, as well as pass along any areas of opportunity so we can continue to improve and provide you with an even better experience when you return.

Thank you again for visiting us and we hope to see you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This was my first time visiting Oak Island and will definitely be back. The room was clean and comfortable, with plenty of space, though the AC unit a bit noisy. Dinner in the dining room was good, though a bit over priced for what you got. Staff were all wonderful and beyond helpful. We were disappointed to find out, on our own, that the hot tub was out of order, no one mentioned it at check in. Though we did make use of the pool. We also made use of the spa, which was great. Nice and relaxing. We had a great time and hope to come back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
hank you for visiting us here at Oak Island - we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and would love to have you as a guest again in the future. We appreciate the feedback on our products and services and this information will be passed along to the appropriate departments so that we can continue to improve. Thanks again and if we can be assistance in anyway on your next visit please contact us at anytime.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Nice views, great tasting food, and pleasant service is all I can say about this resort. I would not reccomend for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2010
JoanneCooper, Leisure Sales Manager at Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are extremely proud of the level of service our staff offers and very pleased that you had a positive experience while staying with us. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations for your romantic getaway; we are currently going through some changes that I am confident will make us a number one choice for this type of getaway. I hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.
calgary Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

A few members of my extended family travelled from different destinations to meet for my sister's 60th birthday. We rented two cabins side by side over looking the water, which was a beautiful view.
I was disappointed with the drab and out dated condition of the cabin. The walls were in need of painting and the kitchen and bathroom could use an up dated face lift. There was a television but no vcr available as well there was no type of radio or cd player in the room. A dvd player would have been especially helpful if I would have had children with me .

I was unable to close the bedroom door in the downstairs bedroom due to the bed obstructing the doorway. If I moved the bed to close the door , I would not have been able to get out of the room in the middle of the night if there was an emergency ,due to the bed being up against the door.

The weekend happen to be very cold ,so heat was necessary. We were back and forth between the two cabins that were rented; so thought we would turn the heat down a bit while we were gone. This turned out to be a bad idea because it was very cold apon our return and needed to have the heat up to the maxmium temperature in order to be comfortable. As well, the fireplace was at its maximum temperature. The bedroom floor was extremely cold . If the heat was turned down in the upper level and the temperture to the maximum in the ground level during the night, it became very cold and took a couple of hours to acchieve a comfortable temperture again. Thank goodness for the fireplace. It kept the cabin heated at least. In the other cabin that was rented , the fireplace fan was broken. Needless to say , if these cabins are insulated, it appears to be at a minamal degree. So, if management plans to rent the cabins out in the winter, they need to be well insulated and the heat source working.
We had dinner at the restaurant and the meal was very pleasent. The waitress was friendly and service was fast.
We went to a nearby village and had a great afternoon shopping and visited a local pub that had great food , drink and entainment. I would recommend this totally.
The staff were friendly and helpful at the front desk.
All in all, my visit was good but I would like to see a upgrade in the cabins. If the establishment is going to charge $170.00 per night in January , apparently that was a deal , so we were told , than I would expect a more comfortable and updated version.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
KPWatson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed 3 nights and loved it. The staff were great, helpful and all around friendly. The room was the best we had in the 10 nights we were away from home. We are planning to return for a week next summer. Great location if you like to stay out of the big citys but close enough to go if you need to or day trips...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Oak Island calls itself a Resort, but there is nothing to do, especially in the Fall. Staff was pleasant and our hotel room was tastefully done. We expected at least for the hot tub to be hot, but it was luke warm the entire stay. The bar was uninviting and not busy, though the staff was pleasant. You'd find better and cheaper food along the Lighthouse Route. I would not rush to get here, instead spend your time in Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

My title really says it all. We stayed here for a one night get-away. The setting on the ocean is lovely. The resort has its own marina and this, plus the several islands made for an interesting view.

The swimming pool looked great but it was too late in the season. No one was using the tennis courts or the mini-golf.

Reception was friendly. We liked the bar/lobby/fireplace area. The wi fi and the free computer station were great.

The room was fine - a standard hotel room. I do wish hotels would have adequate lights for reading in bed. The air conditioning system was noisy as it repeatedly come on and off.

The restaurant has large glass windows on three sides overlooking the water. In summer it is expanded by a huge deck. The food and service were good, but there was nothing inspiring in the choices. The appetizer of gingered scallops was very good. The salmon ravioli was so so. The salmon was very dry. The seafood linguine was much better. The dessert menu had nothing really exciting. I love chocolate, but it had several items featuring white chocolate. We shared a very ordinary baked Alaska .

The breakfast buffet the next morning was very good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!