“Disappointed in their rewards program” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Enfield
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Disappointed in their rewards program”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Our preferred airport hotel stay when flying out of YHZ has always been the Holiday Inn Express, when they first opened a few years ago , the service was great, my husband had platinum status with his Priority Rewards Points, which would always ensure an upgrade, without ever having to ask for it. The last few times we have stayed there I would have to request an upgrade and I'm now always being told that there isn't one available, during our last stay a couple of weeks ago, I was travelling with my son, his friend and a family friend, and we got to the hotel late for an early morning departure, and realized that although it would be a quick stay it would be so much more comfortable for everyone if we were upgraded as both the King and Double Queen Suites all have a pull out sofa. Now that my husband doesn't travel quite as much for work, he now only has gold status with Priority Points ( but this still states that your eligible for an automatic upgrade should one be available) when the lady checking me in gave me my room , I asked if I had been upgraded, she told me their was no upgrades available, as they were very busy. This was past 6pm and the parking lot was less then 1/4 full, I thought this odd and just explained our situation , then she said well there is one available , but you'd have to pay for it, I asked her how much the upgrade would be , and I believe she said $40, I told her we'd take it, even though I was a little annoyed that they wouldn't just honor it. But what annoyed me even more was when she asked what type of suite I'd like as they had several available. So I knew then she basically lied to me, just to make a few extra dollars. I didn't say anything however it did leave a bad taste in my mouth for the HI Express, we also have gold status with Hilton, and I'll most definately be using their hotel for future stays. It would be different if it was an isolated incident, but I haven't had an upgrade in a very long time at that particulair hotel, aside from that there are no other issues with the hotel, lots of parking, new and clean, just too bad they don't honor their reward program, I mean seriously whats the point of having it , if you don't intend to follow thru with it?

Room Tip: You want a better room at this establishment your gonna have to pay for it
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
meghanlloyd, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments and we so apologize for not meeting your expectations this visit. We do take your feedback very seriously and will use it to improve our guest services in future. In regards to your comments, it is true that when you husbands membership level changed so did his benefits. That is the reason why the complimentary upgrade was no offered. I'm sorry if we did not communicate this information in a more comprehensive manner. Gold member entitlements do not include upgrades but the good news is they do include many other benefits. Please go to priorityclub.com to get the exact benefits of your husbands current level. I'm sorry if our actions made you feel unappreciated as a customer as that was not our intention. We do appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel and hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, Meghan Lloyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I required basic accommodation during an overnight in Halifax. The transfer from the hotel was fast and friendly. Check-in was efficient and also friendly, but took a turn for the better as I was upgraded to a suite room with a jacuzzi tub situated in the living quarters. I was able to watch game six of the Stanley Cup playoffs on a flat panel TV from the jacuzzi tub. The room was very extremely clean and the breakfast the next day ideal.
One nice feature was the selection of pillow types as indicated on the pillow case (In my "case", I had two soft, one firm and one fluffy rather small pillows). However, I found the bed a bit hard and uncomfortable. I did have to leave the property for supper which was available at an adjacent hotel.
Presented the opportunity for an overnight stay at the Halifax airport area in the future, I would have no hesitance in staying or reommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Request
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Newfoundland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a fairly new property, about five minutes drive from the Halifax International Airport - I had dropped some friends off at the airport, and rather than go back downtown, I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn, and I am glad I did. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and there was a fairly wide choice of breakfast foods in the morning.Cost was more than resonable, and the staff very pleasant.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the airport approach
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I often stay at this hotel when we fly in and out of Halifax Int. Aiport. The hotel is just a short drive away and there is a free shuttle service. The building is new and modern and the rooms are clean. Will likely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We had previously looked at this hotel but decided the staff at the neighboring Hilton Garden Inn were friendlier, however this time the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful so we decided to give them a second chance.
The room itself was very nice, large and extremely clean. It was well appointed with nice decor and clean furnishings. There was noise from the corridors, especially doors banging, and the breakfast had a very basic selection.
However the real problems were the high polyester / nylon content sheets and the air conditioning unit which kept switching itself off - the combination of which resulted in a very poor nights sleep.
Also $200 for a room near Halifax airport which is at least 30min from the center of town seems very steep.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
PEI, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

We (my husband and two sons, aged 10 & 12) stayed at this hotel Jan 26 - 29, 2011. We were originally booked in for two nights, but because of an impending snow storm, we went over the evening before (from PEI where if the Confederation Bridge closes, there is no other driving option to get off the Island). We were checked in very quickly (my husband is a Priority Club member) and were given a suite on the 6th floor (we had booked a double room and were upgraded).
The parking lot was full (some vehicles I'm assuming were there for the Hotel's Park n Stay promotion) but the hotel was very quiet. There were international students staying there, awaiting their flights out to their home countries, but we didn't hear them at all.
The free breakfast was delicious and filling. There was never a line up on any of the three mornings that we went down (different times each morning) and the food trays were refilled promptly.
There was coffee / tea / hot chocolate available all day, and there were delicious cookies available in the lobby from about 6:00 onwards in the evening (which prompted a walk downstairs by the boys nightly).
We came and went quite often to doctor's appointments, hockey games and for meals often and had no problem finding cleaned out parking spots (as I mentioned above, there had been a snow storm).
One evening we had a plugged toilet and within 3 minutes of calling the front desk, a gentleman in a suit was up to unclog it.
The kids used the pool and the exercise room and on all but one occasion, we had the facilities to ourselves.
All in all, an excellent hotel for service, offerings, and value.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fredericton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I usually like the Holiday Inn Express and this one is very new and clean. The property overall in great shape. I'm a Holiday Inn Priority club gold member as an indication of how much I use them and typically find they have very good value when well managed.

However there were two issues I wasn't happy with at this one...and I think it really just speaks to the small but significant details management is missing. First, on signing in during a cold winter night I was really annoyed with being told I had to go back out to my car to put a sticker on the window or risk being towed. I don't care how you manage your parking - but surely there is a better way. This was just a poor start in being welcomed to the property. Why you can't just take the license plate number of the vehicle like at every other hotel I don't understand.

Secondly, this place is dry and there is no restaurant. It is a bigger deal because the Halifax Airport and this hotel are not close to city at all and thus somewhat in the middle of nowhere. There is a pantry next to the front desk full of greasy snacks, swanson nukables and sugary drinks, but apparently offering any kind of selection of beer/wine, fresh fruit ,cheese/crackers etc wasn't on the radar. If you do want anything nourishing or a simple beer you will be told as I was that "I was welcome to go next door to the Hilton Garden Inn." Next time I plan on doing just that. The price is roughly the same and after having stayed at both - the HGI is the winner for sure..

happy travels,

NB Globetrotter

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport? Share your experiences!