“My husband said "let's blow this Popsicle stand"” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Bakeries
Halifax, Canada
“My husband said "let's blow this Popsicle stand"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on our way to our anniversary getaway. I should have known to just walk away when I had such a difficult time at the counter. I asked is everything you have written on the board? I was told yes. My husband was sure that he had seen chowder, but there was no mention of it. I then asked what do people have in all the bowls. I was told chowder and that it wasn't on the board. So we ordered a bowl of chowder, a chicken sandwich and two lemonades. She came back and said there was no chicken sandwich, but there was smoked turkey. I said sure. Then I asked how the desserts work as I saw three whole blueberry pies in the case and I was wondering if any were sold by the slice. She had to ask around first, but we were finally told that yes we could buy pie by the slice and I ordered two slices. Our bill came to $35 before tip. I was surprised to find out that the chowder not written on the board was $15 for a bowl. We then took our seat. I liked the pictures on the wall with many of them depicting images from France.

The first thing to arrive was our pie. It was not plated in a nice way, but instead mine seemed kind of thrown on the plate. Then we waited for our mains. The chowder wasn't hot and the bite I tried was very fishy. The bread and butter that came with it was good though. My sandwich came next, but no napkin for me, my husband got a napkin though so we shared. My sandwich had potato chips on the side. This would have been a nice touch if my plate wasn't covered in the crumbs from the bottom of a bag! The sandwich was just OK. Turkey, lettuce, tomato and mayo. I think that a nice pesto spread would have really livened it up. I added some potato chip crumbs to the sandwich for a little something. The bread was good. As for the pie the crust was tough, so much so that I had a hard time cutting a piece with my fork. And the blueberries had too much of a thickening agent added. I would lift up a forkful and the glob wouldn't even fall off my fork when held upside down. The lemonades were good, sweet, but good. If we could do it over again we would have gone back to the Foc'sle across the street. Very disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Not just for croissants...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

All this talk about how Julien's is so French is fine. But, they make the best bagels we've had since NYC in the 70's, and their sourdough baguettes are fierce. The bacon alongside a light, airy and utterly non-oily omelette was terrific, meaty and flavorful (the sausage that "came with" seemed out of step, though tasty). And that was one ginormous tub of latte! Well-spaced tables but a fun, lively atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“All I can say is yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our lunch here. I had seafood chowder which was yummy! My kids had ham and cheese croissants which they labelled as exquisite!! My husband had the special, turkey club and cream of brocolli soup, which he said was good but not amazing. The yogurt parfait was also sampled and declared delicious!! Cute place, lovely staff!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chester, Canada
“You gotta try the almond croissants.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

When in Chester and needing a cup of tea, coffee or perhaps a tasty, sweet treat. (Ha perhaps indeed!) well worth popping into Julien's. Service is good and friendly and the refreshments worth visiting for.
I had the almond croissant for the first time, and I just know that I will be back for more. They are awesome!
I don't think the romance and special occasion ratings really apply here so I've just marked them average. The atmosphere isn't really anything to write home about, but it's fine.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, Canada
“A little bit of France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Julien's French Bakery in Chester is thousands of miles from the bustle of the Paris streets but the atmosphere is instantly transported. I often pop in for a morning bowl of cafe-au-lait and a croissant. The patisserie are to die for whilst the selection of bread is first class in both variety and quality. A few minutes from the harbour it is a lovely spot for Sunday breakfast. It is open until early January and reopens in March.

Visited December 2012