“great homemade cookin..better homemade music!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We stumbled accross this place this past Saturday, which was the day after it had opened for the season. They are only open from June until October. It is very quaint, and it has the very best seafood chowder of anyplace we found in Nova Scotia or PEI. The waiter was super nice to our group, and honest in admitting he had only started the day before, and hadn't tried all the items on the menu yet. He went back to the chef on a couple of occasions to ask if he could change a menu item for us (which they did), and was very attentive to our lunchtime needs. This is a really good restaurant and should be added to Trip Advisor. Thanks, John Ward Smith
Glace Bay, Canada
“great homemade cookin..better homemade music!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

owned by the music genius's..the rankins..nice pub fare..with a down home swagger..the town is so lazy..and ritefully so

Visited September 2012

Brevard, North Carolina
“Not to Be Missed and Worth Traveling to Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great music and food make this restaurant one you will not one to miss. Local music is played every night and even during the day at times. Fresh local seafood and great beer and wine selection - daily specials as well. You can spend hours here enjoying the ambience and the local music. This was one of or favorite places in a 3 week tour in Canada.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dubuque, Iowa
“Place to be in Mabou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food and waitstaff. Unfortunately missed the band that night, if we make it back to Mabou, we will definitely make it a point to stop in.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roseville, CA
“Could be friendlier...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wanted to love this place. I was familiar with the Rankin family musicians and I was excited to be there... but this is the only place in all of Cape Breton where I sensed a lack of warmth towards tourists. We went on two consecutive nights. On the first visit, our waitress was reasonably professional and pleasant, though she seemed more interested in chatting with the bartender than in serving. The second evening, a different waitress was downright sullen. When my mother politely asked if she could have extra whipped cream on her dessert, the waitress actually rolled her eyes, didn't answer, and brought the dessert with the smallest dab of whipped cream I have ever seen. A simple "no, we don't do that," would have been a better response if that is the policy. Food was good, especially the soup; I thought the desserts were good but a little pricey for what they were. But what spoiled it for me was the sullen waitress and the overall sense that the staff as a whole was much happier to see local folks than tourists; understandable, but they didn't have to be so obvious. We are not obnoxious people and we did nothing wrong. The last time I felt like such an outsider was in the cafeteria of a new school in seventh grade. Since this was our first stop on our tour of Cape Breton, I was worried that the whole island was going to be this clannish, but fortunately that was not the case; people were very welcoming everywhere else we went.

Visited July 2012
Sydney, Canada
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had a small menue but the food was great. The service was good despite it being absolutely packed. Great ambiance... loved the entertainment! I wished I was staying overnight so I could have gone back for the evening.