“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Mabou
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We stumbled accross this place this past Saturday, which was the day after it had opened for the season. They are only open from June until October. It is very quaint, and it has the very best seafood chowder of anyplace we found in Nova Scotia or PEI. The waiter was super nice to our group, and honest in admitting he had only started the day before, and hadn't tried all the items on the menu yet. He went back to the chef on a couple of occasions to ask if he could change a menu item for us (which they did), and was very attentive to our lunchtime needs. This is a really good restaurant and should be added to Trip Advisor. Thanks, John Ward Smith
Waterloo, Canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family and I travelled an hour out of our way to visit the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou, owned by the Rankin Family.. The restaurant is clean and very inviting, however we did not have a great experience. Our server was far from welcoming, and boardered on rude as she didn't not even smile at us the entire time. We ordered fish and chip which were really "soft" and certainly not great. My children ordered a hamburger whcih was really spicy/hot. My other daughter ordered chicken fingers and French fries. Some of the fries were very bland and others were really salty. My Two Salad ( a combo of pita, brusheta and humus) was ok, but the humans had curry added to it which was a bit odd. I ordered coffee with lots of cream and sugar and only got two sugar packets. I then went to the bar to ask for more. Two staff members saw me from the kitchen but neither approached me. I had to wait for my server to end her phone call and then ask for more. The meal cost $86 before tip for 3 adults, and 2 children. One. Ever age each, and no dessert.

When another guest at a different table spilled his drink, he had to go to the counter to get more napkins. When the server did come around, he asked for more. She brought a role of paper towel and handed it to him to clean up, which shocked me.

All in all, food was ok at best, service was not great. Make a quick stop if you are driving by, but don't expect anything much. Atmosphere can only go so far.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Orrtanna, Pennsylvania, United States
“A stop not to be missed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Food is great, and the music features all the amazing local talent!

Visited October 2011
Port Perry, Canada
“WOW - Great food and entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you want great food and entertainment, this is your place. We visited with our two children, both under 10 yrs old, and had a blast. The food was excellent and the atmosphere and music was even better.

Be aware: this is a hot spot with limited seating. Do your best to get there either just before dinner time to get a seat.... at least this was our experience. We went in, sat down and then people were showing up... The staff did a great job to get people seated but it is a small intimate venue.

If you are camping or RV'ing, we highly recommend Ceilidh Cottage. There is a local that they can call to take you in to town and back for a reasonable rate. Not to mention the kids had a great time here as well.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Emmaus
“A lovely pub, with live music some evenings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had lunch here on a Sunday, and thus missed the live Cape Breton style music that started later in the day. The lunch menu is somewhat limited, but we were pleased with the BBQ pork on sweet potato fries and the mussels. They also have great desserts.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
red deer, ab
“Best salmon ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stumbled upon the Red Shoe Pub while driving around Cape Breton Island. The place was jumping with local musicians and the patrons joined in with spoons or a dance or two. The atmosphere was fantastic. I had the Atlantic salmon and it ranks up there as the best salmon I have ever had. I would definitely make this stop again.

• Visited September 2011