“Good Motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merry's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cheticamp
Merry's Motel
15356 Cabot Trail | P.O. Box 1052, Cheticamp, Nova Scotia B0E 1H0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Cheticamp
Belleville
“Good Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for one night while driving the Cabot Trail. Room was small, but clean. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was tiny with a shower stall. A breakfast of toast and muffins was included. The owner recommended a whale watching tour to us that was fantastic--we saw a dozen whales, and it was the highlight of our vacation. There are several restaurants in the area, even a Tim Hortons. I would recommend this motel for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Windsor Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was travelling on the Cabot Trail with my cousin and 2 aunts in July-August of 2012. We started on the east side of the trail and made our way around to Cheticamp for the night. We had booked a room at Merry's a few days prior and were lucky to have gotten it as nothing else was available for the night we needed when we called around. The reviews for this place suggested we would have a nice stay and we did. The room and bathroom were very clean, the motel was very quiet and it included a very light breakfast in the morning so we were pleased with our luck in getting a room here. We rolled in around 7pm and our lovely hostess (Susanne?) recommended two restaurants close by to eat at (the restaurant review is a separate experience - please look for it - Le Gabriel - did not meet expectations). She provided us all the extra towels we would need as all four of us shared a room (2 double beds). We were happy that the room had a small fridge as we were able to keep our cooler ice frozen and our perishables cool in the fridge. When we got back to the room after our extremely long meal we noticed that the room was quite warm. It was hotter than usual in the area, especially for being a coastal town so there is not a lot we could do about it. We opened all our windows and eventually things cooled off and I'm not sure that its economical to have air conditioning units blocking windows for the few nights of the year they would actually be needed. Just an observation, not a complaint against the hotel. There was a fan that we used to move the air around and I'm sure if we'd asked for a second fan we would have gotten it however we'd come back so late from dinner we didn't want to disturb our hosts to ask. After a pretty good nights' sleep (it was also nice to be able to use the free wi-fi too - my aunt and uncle don't have internet at their place yet so I'd been without it....) we got up and headed down to the inn part of the property to avail ourselves of the light breakfast. We noticed in the reviews that some people complained about this.....I have a problem with those complaints. The hosts have not misrepresented the fact that breakfast is juice/coffee/tea/fruit/muffins and toast. This is on the sign right outside the motel, it was on the website and she told us when we checked in! I thought it was great - if I'd wanted more I was free to go somewhere else to have more. As it was I was quite content with toast, fruit, a muffin and some coffee. The only downside was that Susanne only bakes a finite amount of muffins for the guests so if you don't get there early enough, there may not be any left and they are excellent! While we were eating we told Susanne of our awful experience at the restaurant the night before and she felt terrible for having recommended it to us. She said she was going to stop sending people there if they couldn't treat their customers right. The best part of this place was the price - all four of us stayed and ate breakfast for less than $115 (split four ways that's a pretty good deal - $28.75 per person). As its likely I'll return to Cheticamp in the future, I would be very happy to return to Merry's!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I was delighted to stay in such a cozy, well-run establishment. I cannot speak for the motel, but stayed in the Bed and Breakfast room. The price was $50 which included a typical European-style continental breakfast of a muffin, coffee and fruit.
The owners, being from Switzerland, made me feel as if I was back in Europe. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom, shared but very clean and modern. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Dankeschön für einen sehr schönen Aufenthalt!

Well Wörth the Time and money!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on day 3 of our 4-day cycle of the Cabot Trail, our room was very basic but impeccably clean with a small fridge; no A/C but a fan and windows front and back offering good ventilation; walking distance to a few good spots to eat. Susan was friendly and helpful and offered to put our bikes in the shed. We didn't take advantage of the light breakfast since we needed substantial fueling for the day of cycling to Baddeck.

Stayed August 2012
Newmarket, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the apartment. There is a small kitchenette and tv room on the main floor and 2 double beds and a cot on the second floor. Bed was comfortable but watch your head on the sloped ceiling ( I am only 5"4 and smacked my head twice). Breakfast is light but we were told in advance. Overall, it was no frills but suitable for our overnight stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The room was clean . No air conditioning but the windows opened to let in the ocean breeze, and there was an electric fan. Even in the heat wave, it was more than comfortable. The wood floors were swept clean, much nicer than carpet. Beds were comfortable, and TV had satellite. The only downside was the breakfast- mostly carbs. But generally it was a good room for the price during high season.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Location is the best thing about this hotel but I found the overall experience a little disappointing. The price for a motel room was ok, bed was comfy, but considering the minimal breakfast (which didn't bother me at all except comparable places have much better breakfast included) and tiny bathroom I wasn't sure it was worth the extra money compared to the B and B. I found the hostess a little unfriendly though her husband was nice enough.
Cheticamp in general was disappointing perhaps because I arrived at 7.30 and it seems the town winds down at 8.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Merry's Motel? Share your experiences!