“Charming cottage feel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 21 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Charming cottage feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at Telegraph House one night and chose to stay in one of the duplex cottage rooms rather than the main building. We came without reservations and the receptionist was very helpful in giving us choices in the rooms she had. We opted for one that was quiet and with a view of the water. The duplex cottages have little porches, attractively designed and very colour coordinated rooms and ours had a mini fridge and coffee maker as well. The room was clean and cosy and very quiet. The location is great, as it is very close to the Alexander Graham Bell Site and you can easily walk to most locations in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at the Telegraph House in the adjacent motel for two nights and couldn't have been happier. Our room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping staff were all friendly, attentive, and very helpful. There was plenty of parking, and the location was right in the middle of the high street within walking distance to various shops and attractions.

However, one of the best elements of our stay was the creative and delicious menu available at the attached restaurant. Highlighting local, gluten-free fare, the options were varied and delicious! We enjoyed breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, sampling different choices; all were superb. You won't find traditional meals (no pancake and bacon breakfasts, or hamburger suppers), but rather fresh, inventive choices with seasonal ingredients. The meals alone were worth the stay.

In all, this was a delightful experience, and well worth another stay.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with elderly, be advised that the last row of rooms of the adjacent motel are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our first night in Nova Scotia was spent at the quaint Telegraph House. We chose this location as we wanted to visit the Alexander Graham Bell Historic Site on day 1 but wanted to be within decent driving distance to Fort Louisbourg for day 2. We were greeted upon arrival by a very friendly lady who directed us to the famous Room 1 - the room where Alexander Graham Bell and his wife stayed. It was on the smallish side but functional, clean and a nice view of the main street. We had dinner at the restaurant on site - I had the roast chicken and my hubby had Nova Scotia trout. The chicken was not memorable; the trout was the smallest piece I've ever seen. But the service was VERY good. We did enjoy the entire experience though and would return if we had the opportunity.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend when attending a wedding. We stayed in a cottage. Which was quite cute. Compared to other places I've stayed at throughout NS I would say the value for money was not there (although, I do think Baddeck is overall more expensive than other areas of NS). Had breakfast been included I may have had a different opinion on value.

It was definitely not the cleanest place I have ever stayed. It even had used shampoo (hotel sized bottle) in the bathroom. But the worst was the bubble bath. We thought it would be nice to have a relaxing bath and do started the process. We filled the tub and turned on the bubbles when black gunk started flowing from the air holes. We allowed it to run, figuring everything would be dislodged and we would eventually be able to use the tub. My partner even went to the front desk to tell them what was going on and ask for some cleaner. After 1 hour and four time of filling and running the bubbles. There was no end to black gunk. I went to desk to tell them what was happening and there was no concern, no consession, no compensation offered at all. Just "That's weird, I'd call our maintenance guy but it's the weekend and he doesn't work on the weekend." It was disappointing had we been offered a complimentary breakfast or something my feeling would likely be different.

It was definitely a two time visit for me: first AND last.

• Stayed October 2013
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Wall paper peeling, hard beds, old pillows, stained carpet, windows in need of a clean, noisy. Bus in parking lot backed up at 4.30am, sounded like it was in the room! Phone rang for 5 mins at about 4am and bus travellers were up and chatting at 6.30am. Definitely in need of an update. Restaurant food and service was good. No breakfast in room charge and high priced for the surroundings and time of year.

Room Tip: Not familiar with motel rooms but definitely not Room 3 in the main building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel itself was nice. We were given a separate cabin with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It also had a living room and eat-in kitchen. The cabin was dotted with a nice patio at the front. Good size for a family.
The location was perfect, right in the center of the city, close to the information center, restaurants and most attractions. The staff at the front desk was really helpful with information. They didn’t have any board games available except a set of cards so don’t forget yours like us, lol
I got to sleep in the bedroom with the queen size bed (my 2 friends took the other bedroom with 2 single beds). I was super thrilled about it until I was awaked during the night by something crawling all over my face. After brushing my face with my hand didn’t work I jerked out of the bed, turned on the light and….there was a HUGE black spider exactly where I was lying down!!! Hugh! Killed it and run to the living room where I established quarter for the reminder of the night shaking like a 5yrs old. And it was my turn driving all the way the Cabot Trail to Pleasant Bay the next day.
However, I have to say the adventure with the spider didn’t take anything away from how I felt about the hotel. Next time I’ll take a room not a cabin.
The hotel offered breakfast, lunch and dinner. We looked at the menu and the options were yummy. However, we didn’t eat there but outside while visiting the town.
I’ll definitely come back if I were to visit Baddeck again.

Room Tip: Stay away fom the cabin!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mission, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We spent 3 nights here while exploring Fort Louisbourg and the Cabot Trail. The location is perfect as a home base, and there is the Alexander Graham Bell museum (well worth a visit) and lots of places to eat all within a 5 minute walk. An Inn rather than a B&B, it consists of the main house and a small motel. We had booked a room in the house but when we arrived, it was not busy, so they offered us a room in the motel as an option. After seeing the 2nd floor room in the house (very small) we elected to take the motel room - simple but much larger. This is not a fancy place to stay but it is clean & comfortable and does offer good bang for the buck.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Telegraph House? Share your experiences!