“Very Good Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Dining Room

Ocean Dining Room
38-42 Main Street, Rocky Harbour, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador A0K 4N0, Canada
709-458-2730
Dining options: Reservations
Halifax, Canada
“Very Good Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had a day of hiking planned and wanted a full breakfast so stopped in. The hash browns were very good, eggs scrambled properly and ham was the vacpak type slices which were OK with me as I was looking for more salt than fatty bacon/sausage. But what really stood out for me was the perfectly toasted whole wheat bread. I know it's just toast but I'm a bread person and this was perhaps the best toast I'd ever had. It made the meal for me. The almost half pot of coffee I consumed was very good as well and the small glass of OJ much appreciated. The waitress was friendly and professional. A+ in my opinion.

• Visited September 2012

Urbana, Illinois
“A little style on the west coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

First--the name of the restaurant is Oceans Dining Room, not Ocean. It's a lovely light-filled spot on the second floor of the Ocean View Hotel; there are tablecloths on the tables. Do not expect gourmet cuisine--this is Rocky Harbor, population under 1000, inside Gros Morne National Park. The food is tasty, freshly prepared, nicely served, and there is a limited wine list. All four of our dining group were pleased with our meals. One comes to Newfoundland for seafood and not expensive cuts of beef, I imagine. But there was a surf and turf offering with a big lobster tail and a good cut of sirloin which my friend couldn't finish because he was too full. It's a welcome change from everything fried.

• Visited August 2012
Cambridge, Canada
“Good food but not exceptional.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nice place. We had lobster at a good price since it is caught locally. Veg was good and not overcooked.

Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

For outport Newfoundland this restaurant really stands out. Being a native Newfoundlander, I make an annual pilgrimage from Boston to Gros Morne each year. I discovered "The Ocean" 3 year ago and since I have eaten there 5 times, most recently this past week. The menu is varied, the service is excellent and the food quite good. I have had both meat and fish and they are well prepared and presented.

John Michael

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nanaimo, BC
“Good value, good service, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Based on reviews, we were staying in the Ocean View Hotel, and decided to try their breakfast in the Ocean Dining Room. It was a good choice. Their breakfast special of two eggs, bacon, ham or sausage, toast, hash browns, juice and coffee for $7.00 before 8:00 a.m. was very good value and was delivered promptly, and well prepared. We had breakfast two more mornings, as well as dinner two evenings. We had two different seafood dishes and a beef dish - all very good. The other significant point was that we felt all the meals were good value.

A nice little plus is the ocean view from the dining room.

• Visited July 2011