“Hikers Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gros Morne National Park

Gros Morne National Park
Route 430, Rocky Harbour, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
709-458-2417
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
5 attraction reviews
“Hikers Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

All my hiking days were filled with beauty and challenges. The scenery was magnificent. Got to see some fox and a moose with her baby during my hikes. The crown jewel was captured twice during the ascent to the summit of Gros Morne Mountain. Met a fellow hiker who was also going it alone so we joined up for a second ascent! Better in twos!

“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I only got to spend a full day in GM and what I was able to see that day was amazing and breath taking. I plan on going back and spending week in the park hiking.

We spent the night in Rocky Harbour and ate and stayed any Parsons. 10/10 for the food and hospitality.

If you are heading to NFLD, book a few days in Rocky Harbour/Gros Morne, worth every minute.

ontario
4 attraction reviews
“Worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Beautiful area. the hike to the top is exhausting but well worth the views it offers. However, one should also explore the areas outside the national park, which are even more beautiful - a bit south to Bottle Cove and Cape St. George.

Stoneham, Massachusetts
143 attraction reviews
“Magnificent scenery but Parks Canada need in improve customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

It can't be denied that there is some beautiful and breathtaking scenery in the park. I am basing my rating on the park as a Parks Canada Site. First, there should be more and clearer signs. There should be big signs at the very entrance of places not just a quarter of a mile or more away.

We bought the annual discovery passes. Nobody ever asked for our passes. People at our B&B had the same experience. How many people don't realize there is an entry fee and don't pay it. If everybody paid park fees, there would be money to properly sign the park and to have more rest rooms and to improve or replace the rest rooms that are already there The ones at Broom Point are disgusting!

I also think that there should be better screening of the "kids" who work in the information center at Rocky Harbour and at the Discovery Center, They were not particularly helpful and seemed more interested to talking to each other than in helping the visitors. They certainly lacked enthusiasm.

On the other hand the guides at Lobster Cove Light House and Broom Point, both older people, were both outstanding and very enthusiastic about what they were doing.

For us the Discovery Center was a waste of valuable time. We read during our pre-trip preparations that we should go there first to get orientated and to plan our trip. We had hoped that there would have been information there to help us decide between the Bonne Bay and the Western Brook Pond boat tours, to help us know where to go in the park, etc. Instead, the center proved just as confusing as the park.

When we walked into the center, there was nobody there to greet us. There was no map of the place to tell us what was where. There was the same film we had already seen at the Rocky Harbour visitor's center. We really didn't know why we were there.

For us one of the most interesting things in the park was Broom Point, which we found by accident. There is almost nothing about this in the literature. I don't believe it is ever included in some of the maps of the park. Our tour guide knew the ten Mudges, who lived in the house there for 34 summers, and gave us an excellent tour.

We found out later that you could get head phones telling you about the Tablelands. I asked the young girl at the Discovery Center for directions to the Tablelands twice -- once when I was by myself and later as we were leaving and my husband, the driver, was with me. She knew we were going to the Tablelands, but never told us about the head phones.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Gros Morne is a must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My hubs is from Newfoundland and had never been to Gros Morne National Park until we decided to hike Gros Morne on out last trip. The hike took 6.5 hours and was difficult in some areas but well worth it. The views were spectacular! I highly recommend this hike and area- it's amazing.