“Great place to stay after arriving in Nfld by ferry” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maclellan Inn/Thackeray Suites

Maclellan Inn/Thackeray Suites
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port aux Basques
Maclellan Inn/Thackeray Suites
Rt 1, Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and Labrador A0N 1J0, Canada   |
Labrador City, Canada
“Great place to stay after arriving in Nfld by ferry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

Arrived in Newfoundland via ferry in Port Aux Basques. After a quick offload I drove 30 minutes (51 kms) to Maclellan Inn/ Thackeray Suites located in Doyles Nfld. It's in a beautiful rural setting near the ocean. The imposing Tabletop Mountains add a wonderful backdrop to the scenery as well. The Inn was full when I booked but I was able to get a room in Thackery Suites which is 2 kms down the road. Gerald, was expecting me and directed me to Room 2 and there was no more to it than that. I wasn't asked to register or give them my credit card. When I asked where I checked out he advised to pop back to the Inn in the AM when I was ready to leave. Pretty informal but it is the Newfoundland way. When I arrived at Thackery Suites the door was open with the key left on the table. So much for worrying about thefts. Must be a nice way to live. The suites, two of them, were in a renovated home. One suite up and the other on the main level. My suite was more than I needed but quite comfortable. Two bedrooms, full bath, TV, living room. It was super clean and very quiet. All I could hear were song birds at sunrise. Breakfast is provided to the folks staying at the Inn only, so bring food to cook up yourself if staying in the Suites.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Morin Heights, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was our first stop in Newfoundland arriving from the Port aux Basques ferry. We were greeted at the MacLellan Inn by Gerald, a warm and friendly host.

Having made prior arrangements with him for our way in and out of the Island, we stopped by on our way back. Unfortunately, our ferry was delayed for two days because of bad weather conditions.

During this time, Gerald took care of us as if we were family. He would come in every two hours or so and add wood to the fireplace making sure we were comfortable.

He also checked regularly with the ferry company so we would not miss the next boat.

Now this is what we call true Newfoundland hospitality!

Lise & Jacques, Moring-Heights, Qc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here twice, one night each time, while traveling between the ferry and Rocky Harbour. Accommodations are not luxurious but comfortable and fine for a one night stay. Gerald is friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if passing through the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed a night at the Maclellan Inn after arriving to Newfoundland by ferry. It is an easy 30 minute drive from the ferry and we were greeted warmly by our host. The rooms are clean and spacious, the views of the lake and mountains are gorgeous, and the hospitality can't be beat. We would absolutely recommend this place to any of our friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

This is an excellent B&B just 30 min from the Port aux Basques ferry. My husband and I are spending our first night in NL here and we are very impressed. It is spotless, very nicely decorated and has everything you need, including a very congenial host, Gerald. We followed his recommendation to the Codroy Cafe Plus and had a wonderful meal with a great view. You won't be disappointed in either of these suggestions!

• Liked — Bright and clean
  • Disliked — No negatives come to mind.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

My husband and I were travelling with another couple and found this B&B a convenient, comfy and clean overnight stay, just 30 minutes drive from Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. It is located in the Codroy Valley, and offers a scenic overview of the valley and the Long Range Mountains. Our rooms were spotless and very comfortable, and in the morning, we were served a delicious breakfast, while we enjoyed the company and conversation of the other guests, while gazing out over the wetlands area of the valley. The owners were very informative about the area, even telling us where to look for some wild turkeys that were successfully living just a few miles from the inn. We would definately stay at this B&B when travelling to and from Newfoundland again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

very warm welcome, very friendly service, spacious rooms, wonderful breakfast, in a beautiful riverfront setting. Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — friendly service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maclellan Inn/Thackeray Suites? Share your experiences!