“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marystown
Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre
You added Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre to your Saves list
76 Ville Marie Drive, Marystown, Newfoundland and Labrador A0E 2M0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marystown
St. John's, Canada
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had to go there for a skating compitition and after reading reviews on this hotel I was dreading staying there, and it was worse then i expected. First of all as soon as you go into the room an aweful stench hits you and then once in the room i saw stains on the carpet and the furnature was ugly and out of date. Also the fitness center is out of date, the equiptment looks like its from the 80s and the fitness room has stains all over the floor and ceiling. And also the night before my compitition, I decided to go to bed early to get some rest and i couldnt get to sleep, the bed was unconfortable and until about 3 AM there was a lot of noise, of people yelling and running around, so much that me or some of my friends that had also came to the hotel couldn;t sleep. And another thing that kept me up was the heater, our room was freezing so we turned up the heat, and when the heater finally did turn on it was so loud that it kept me up until almost 5 AM which was when i finally fell asleep. So overall, it was one of the worst expirences i've had at a hotel in a long time, and i do not advise you to stay here unless you like dirty noisy places.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bowmanville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

This hotel was awful from the time we entered and dealt with the front desk clerk. She was on the phone and kept us waiting to check in for a long time, we had been on the road for hours after working all day. She should have put whoever on hold and checked us in. The whole place smelled like a grubby old tavern. The rooms had no air, so it was humid and dank, windows didn't open. I had to ask for a fan to get some airflow going. The walls were thin and could hear everything going on in the next rooms. Heard a God awful crash in the hall late at night, sounded like someone dropped a tray of dishes. Woke me up with a start. Checking out was the same nonsense, took way too long. The only bright spot was the restaurant, the best seafood chowder I ever had, but the restaurant was substantially of a higher caliber than the hotel. Would not stay here again, we managed to find different accomodations after the first night. Thank goodness.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

After reading the previous reviews, I was dreading staying at this place! However, I had no choice....

I made sure I requested an "upgraded" room, which was given when I arrived.

I was pleasantly surprised... it's not that bad! The room was quite big by some standards, and it was clean. It didn't have a fridge or anything, but it did have internet.

I ate in the restaurant and had the prawns... they were delicious! Service was a bit slow, but they were run off their feet as it was really busy. The staff were friendly without being patronising.... and I'm sure if you visited regularly they'd know you by name every time.

All in all, it's not as bad as you might think reading some of the reviews.... maybe the upgrades are coming along nicely?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was my second night at this hotel. I stayed once in 2008, and things were the same this time. The front entrance looks "ok", but as soon as you go past the stairs it's a whole other story. Our room was on the second floor. I can hardly find words to describe the stairway and the entire hallway to the room - it's dull and dingey, and it's like someone slapped on a dab of plaster every couple feet and slapped on some paint here and there (two different colors)...the walls are literally spotted like this (my description is not really describing it well!). I could understand if they were in the middle of renovations, but the walls were like this the last time I stayed too - a year ago.

The front desk staff were less than friendly. The room was "musty" and there was a hair on the pillow in the bed, and a few hairs on the wall in the shower. I couldn't believe how bad this hotel was! It's the only hotel in the area, and it's shocking that this is what tourists are having to stay in. I could see if the rate was like $29/night, but they are charging like $120/night...ridiculous!! I even had to make comment to the front desk staff as I was leaving re: the state of the hotel.

Next time I need to stay overnight in the area I will be looking for a bed and breakfast instead.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hodges Cove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

In May month as part of a group I stayed at the MarysTown hotel for five nights. I have to say the service was excellent!!!! The staff could not do enough for us.The rooms were clean and confortable.We had access to the ice machine just down the hallway. A computer in the lobby for our use. Anything we could possibly need was provided. I would definitly recommend this hotel to my friends and family. Thanks so much staff at MarysTown hotel especially Margaret who went above and beyond to meet our every request!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Marystown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Diane, Peter, Yvonne and staff:

On behalf of the Heritage Run Tourism Association and myself, I would like to say thank you to everyone who made our day event (destination seminar) yesterday a success. We appreciated being able to set up early in the previous day and the experience from
your staff as to the best set up to accommodate our needs. The lunch was delicious and the staff were professional, courteous and
efficient - thank you and we look forward to future events at your Hotel and Convention Centre.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

I have been to Marystown for 4 weeks over the last three months. Each time, I stayed at this hotel… as it is a ‘corporate supplier’.

The hotel is an old run down building in the middle of town. The lobby appears to be nice, but as you start off on your trek down the hallway things go down hill quickly.

I had stayed at this hotel 2 years previous, and there were signs posted on the doors that said “sorry for the inconvenience, but we are renovating our hallways”. 2 years later, the signs are still in place, the hallways HAVEN’T changed. The wall paper is peeling, there are stains on the carpets… and not just a few. The smell in this hotel is disgusting. It smells like a cat litter box that hasn’t been changed in years.

The rooms are just as bad as the hallways. Very small, and totally outdated. The beds (in each room I stayed in) was old and sagged in the middle. The carpet was stained an soiled, the chair in the room had some nasty stains as well. The bathroom is very small as well. Hardly any counter space. Be warned that when you turn the taps on, the water comes out brown.

When inquiring at the front desk about a different room, I was informed that I was in the ‘renovated room’. Good to know.

My co-workers rooms were in equal to worse shape than mine. It is really clear that the managers / owners of this hotel don’t care about your stay. There is no pride for this hotel at all.

The restaurant is a joke too. As like the rest of the hotel, it is so dated its funny. The carpet is worn in a very distinctive routes. The food is average at best.

I asked about a fitness centre, and was told by the front desk clerk that the fitness room is in the basement and she recommended going across the street to the gym. When I went down to check out the fitness room, it had a few pieces of equipment from the 80’s and in really poor condition.

When you leave the hotel, all your clothes smell as bad as the hotel.

I can tell you after 4 weeks in this dump, I refuse to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Been to Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!