“BRIDES BEWARE- Definitely would not choose here” 1 of 5 stars

The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites
299 Salmonier Line | Route 90, Holyrood, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holyrood
Ontario
“BRIDES BEWARE- Definitely would not choose here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The food was well prepared but the overall experience was disorganized and the majority of the staff were not helpful and one particular staff member was rude and quite unprofessional towards members of the wedding party, in fact, when the bride wanted music for walking down the aisle, this staff just wanted the party to walk without it so that the bride would have to follow.Rooms were not ready for the party to prepare for the wedding, bridal party was not put on the same floor even when requested. Rooms were outdated and the cob webs added to the already run down decor. The parents of the bride received a nicer suite but paid more than a harbour front view room in St. John's would cost.The grounds were nice but the bog didn't help during pictures.It would have been a much more enjoyable experience if more of the staff actually cared about service and catering to people's needs instead of acting as if they are there to just "make a buck!"I cannot comment on the breakfast as I could not wait to leave due to the poor attitude of one specific staff member who seemed to be attempting to "run the show".

NewfoundlandWilds, general manager at The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
We have over 30 plus weddings a year & no complaints from the brides or grooms, some now I would consider good friends & cannot wait until they return. we do this for a living & are very good at what we do. we do everything in our power to make sure it is a special day for the Bride & groom this wedding the Bride & groom were happy but her sister was not. all our guests are special & I hope they return, some people just have bad days. we are certainly not perfect but we try to go above & beyond everyday.

Jeff Peddle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We were at The Wilds to attend a wedding which all went off very well although I understand from the family that there were last minute disappointments in that hotel staff did not set out the chairs for the wedding and family and friends had to "do it themselves".

The room we were given, one of the suites, was very comfortable indeed, spacious and clean with every possible convenience. The only tiny moan I could have is that there is a large, high triangular window which has no curtain or blind making the room very light in the early morning.

The service we recieved at breakfast was very good but other family members experienced extremely slow service in the restaurant the previous evenning (apparently some guests who had travelled out specially for a meal from St. Johns were kept waiting so long they had to leave).

That said it was a wonderful location for the wedding and the reception went off without a hitch. The food served was delicious and could not be faulted.

NewfoundlandWilds, General manager at The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
I really appreciate you taking the time to write a response to your visit. I am glad you loved the food & service & I too like total darkness in the morning, I am trying to get curtains or blinds to open & close but the top windows are very high so not a easy fix but I am working on it. I hope that you can one day return here.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My room was air conditioned and well appointed with an amazing view of the river and golf course. The kids loved the pool and the fireworks for Canada day. Younger kids would enjoy the nice playground next to the pool. I don't play golf but heard a rumor that the course was on the difficult side though it looked as scenic as they get.

st. john's
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

The hotel has gone under major renovations in the last couple years. The executive sweets are on par with any 4 star hotel I've stayed in. Regardless of the accommodations, you won't find a better view for golfing anywhere in the province. You have to see it to believe it.

I am glad you took the time to write a response of your visit here, We have done a major amount of work here in 3 years & emails like this shows us people are taking notice. I am glad you enjoyed our suites & hope to see you back at The wilds again.
P.S. one of the best golf courses around is nice to wake up to.

Halifax, NS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I am just going to say, this place needs work (the hotel), enough said. Good golfing.

your heading was right," It has potential". Take a look at our website & If you are back this way I will gladly give you a free night to see the changes we have made. We knew 3 years ago when we took it over it had potential, I live here this is my home & the staff are like family. We have done massive amounts of work here & are still doing work now. Our goal at The Wilds is to make this resort a 4 star retreat. I hope to see you back & my email is on the website.

Halifax, NS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Wilds for one night on August 4th , 2007. Friends of ours chose this venue for their wedding.

The grounds and golf course are beautiful and well maintained. The public/common areas of the hotel itself seem fairly clean and well kept, however the guest rooms are a different story.

It's important to be aware that not all of the rooms in this hotel have air conditioning. If you want a room with air conditioning, you must request it at the time of booking, which we did. They also charge about $15 more per night for a room with a/c. Rediculous if you ask me! Either way, when we checked in, we did not have air conditioning as requested.

For $105 per night, the least I would have expected was a clean room. This was not the case. The walls had black marks all over them and were desperately in need of a fresh coat of paint. The bathroom was hideous, complete with tub surround which was bowing off the walls, and dirty brown water in the shower, tap and toilet. The furniture is cheap, old, outdated and covered in water damage where the paper laminate is bubbled up.

The first thing I noticed when drawing back the curtains around the window was dusty cobwebs in the corner. The windows in the room opened no more than 6 inches as they had wooden blocks above them to prevent them from opening any further. This barely allowed a breeze to enter the room. Furthermore, the windows did not have screens to keep unwanted pests out.

This was most certainly not the type of accommodations I expected for the price. I would not recomment this hotel.

NewfoundlandWilds, General manager at The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
I took this hotel over 3 years ago, I took all the furniture & donated it to several charities. We have put over $500,000 into the hotel in that time. We have moved from a 2.5 rating to a 3.5 star rating. our water comes from a large river on our property that comes from a wilderness area, fresh clean water. The downside is when it rains sediment from the river banks run into the water. We have now upgraded our chlorine & filtration systems. go to our website see The New wilds. We are a beautiful hotel that needed work, we have done the work & still continue to ever day. If anyone has any questions or concerns please contact me personally

regards,

1-709-229-5444
jpeddle@thewilds.ca

Been to The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites? Share your experiences!