“It certainly has changed!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Lake
Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast
55 Garden Road, Deer Lake, Newfoundland and Labrador A8A 1K9, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Deer Lake B&B and Inns
Stephenville, Canada
“It certainly has changed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The first couple of times we stayed here everything was wonderful. Oh but things have gone downhill for sure. The first night we stayed before leaving on our flight the next morning the place was double booked. They booked us into a local hotel but did pick us up and drop us at the airport the next morning. On the trip back we contacted the owner from the airport and waited 25 minutes for a ride at 2:30 a.m. We did have a room for the night but not overly clean. We got up the next morning for breakfast and facing us as we walked towards the table we were to sit at was "dog poop"under the table. We made a quick turn around and got our bags and headed for Tim Horton's. On our way we had to stop at the owners restaurant to pay our bill. This is unheard of. Don't advertise Visa if you can't accept it. It is an inconvenience especilly when you are travelling.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I can't understand how we did not read the other reviews here first, as we normally do. At any rate we stayed here 2 awful nights. The bed is the absolute worst. I repeat, worst. The noise it made at the slightest movement was unbeleivable. It was thin and old any not much better than the floor. Both of us slept at the edges, scared to move, as you would fall into the center, almost touching the floor. Every place creaked when you walked, making it impossible to be quiet as you walked. I really enjoyed the snoring from next door all night too.

The place is filthy. So filthy. Its deceiving, when you walk in, you think "hey, looks nice", With its various sitting rooms, patios, large open kitchen. But within 10 minutes that is gone. There are 2 carpets that are the most filthiest things I have ever seen. Every corner has filth. The doors, near the handles are so grimey and need a Mr Clean Sponge real bad. I looked under our bed and wished I hadn't. There were other peoples things that had fallen still under it, so no way its been cleaned. There is no blackout curtain in the bedroom, we had to use a blanket.The tiles in the bathroom are all cracked, and missing grout.The bathroom sink takes forever to drain, and in the shower you stand in 2 inches of your own dirty water. There were 2 tiny thread bare towels.

The owners live in an attached apartment of their own, and you can tell this place is not lived in. The patios are so filthy, cobwebs everywhere, and I saw animal feces too, just lying there. It looks as if no one ever goes there.The front entrance is also very dirty, with ages of webs, dead bugs, leaves, peeling paint, etc. In the evening giant spiders came out, over the door, and I was scared of them! The front steps are an accident waiting to happen.

There is nothing of interest for the visitors either. Not a scrap of local info, map, guide, or even a book you could read. I went to the local thrift store (that I found on my own) to buy some.The house is this weird twilight zone shell of a house. Once the wife sat next to me for about an hour, never said a single word to me, looked at me or anything. She spent the entire time playing a game on her phone. (I was never yet spoken to) It was the weirdest thing.

I should have said what I thought of the place, But I just didnt bother. Their trade seems to be from airport people, who come though once, I guess. I have no idea how it is a four star place in the Nfld guide book.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottetown, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here and am shocked at the state of this facility. Saying your a B&B and operating below the standard of the Canada Select rating hanging on your dirty front wall should make the owner ashamed. My bathroom had layers of dust in the corners and mold along the shower and tub, and dust bunnies under the bed plus the odd item left by other rentors, even a babies soother and there were stains on the extra pillows in the closet. The worst was I think my bed was over 25 years old and I would be better off sleeping on gravel, it would have been more comfortable. And then asked to pay at a restaurant down the street and not even asked how my stay was.

What a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2013
Newfoundland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I arrived in Deer Lake at approximately 2am on a late flight from Toronto. After picking up my luggage, I jumped aboard my vehicle and headed for the Birds Nest. I was anxiously awaiting a good nights rest for my long drive the following morning. Upon arrival and to my surprise there were no lights on and the door was locked. There was a note left on the door with a number to call for service. I called the number and the owner answered. I informed him that I had arrived and I had reservations for tonight.

(I had booked a week in advance. At the time of booking I informed him the time I would arrive, as it would be late, and asked him if it would be OK. The owner had no problems with this as he informed me he would have airport "transfers" at this time. He also said parking at the B and B would be no problem and there would be space available).

During our conversation he informed me he had OVERBOOKED and that he did not have any rooms available. He apologized and offered me a spot on the couch and said he would be right there. I agreed and waited outside in the cold fog and rain. I was left standing on the front step and was very tired and after a 19 hour day. I was appreciative to be offered even a couch at this point. I waited until I just couldn't wait any longer. I was exhausted!!!!!. THE OWNER DID NOT SHOW AND DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO RETURN MY CALL!!!!! I was forced to look for other accommodations. I called every hotel in Deer Lake with no luck. The closest place was Corner Brook (approx 30 min drive). At 3:30am, it was a last resort, but was the only option I had. Exhausted, I travelled to Corner Brook and spent the night.

I travel often for both business and leisure, and this is the WORST, ABSOLUTE WORST service I have ever received. I would rate this 0/5 if possible, because TERRIBLE IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!! It cost me extra gas, money and very valuable sleep time.

After reading the reviews for the Birds Nest B and B I am glad I did not get the opportunity to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Taber, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I would have left after walking through except we didn't have any transportation or was worried we would not have found another room for four. Just stayed one night but was very uncomfortable, entrance, rooms, bathrooms patio very dirty. We asked if they had the place cleaned regularly which he said they did but I doubt it. The breakfast knook was very dirty, milk left out on table looked very unsanitary. The truck that he uses to transport us to the airport was very dirty. I would not recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone. Needs to have this place inspected and shut down if things aren't improved.

Room Tip: do not stay here mish mash of funiture in bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London Ontario Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here on July 17. Wish we had taken time to read the reviews before we chose this location. I have to agree with the two previous reviews. The exterior is very poorly maintained, the porch boards were loose and in bad need of paint or stain. The grass needed to be cut, there were many cars in the two driveways that flank the house. The owner told us that he offers a park and fly service as well as B&B and so that was the reason for the vehicles in his yard. The common areas looked okay, however we chose not to spend anytime there after we saw our room. Our room was in bad need of a good cleaning and freshening up. It was dusty, the bathroom floors needed cleaning, the vents on the wall were clogged with dust. The bathroom had two thin bath towels, one thin hand towel and washcloth. We have never been in this situation before and didn't really know how to graciously tell him that we would not stay there. That and the fact that this is a small town and we weren't sure where else we could stay on short notice. We decided to make the best of it and only stayed there for the time that we slept. The next morning, we wanted to pay with a charge card. The owner was not equipped for this option and so we had follow him to his wife's cafe on Main St to pay our bill there. Lesson learned: read Trip Advisor thoroughly before booking and have a back up plan. Also, find out what to do if we are ever in a similar situation again.

Room Tip: No suggestions. i would not stay there again.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North America
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This has the potential to be a very nice B&B but has not been looked after. It is desperately in need of some major cleaning and maintenance. There was staining and hair in the bottom of the shower, splash marks on the walls next to the sink and dirt on the floor and baseboards. The room we had was small but adequately furnished. The bed was comfortable and the linens were cleaned (I had a close look after seeing the state of the bathroom!). There were two large sitting areas, one an addition, for use by their guests, one with a big screen TV with an excellent signal. The owners were away when we arrived but had left a cell phone in the mail box for us to contact them on arrival so we had no difficulty checking in. However, in our bathroom there was only one face cloth and two threadbare bath towels. We had to call the owner back and he did arrange for someone to get us some clean towels. There was only liquid soap at the sink and a used sample size of shampoo - no soap bars for the shower and no new bottles of shampoo (fortunately we travel with our own!!). Breakfast was self serve - toast and/or cereal, with communal jars of jelly/jam although the host did cook bacon and eggs to order.

Room Tip: Check the room before you commit to stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!