“This b and b is a joke” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Lake
Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast
You added Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
55 Garden Road, Deer Lake, Newfoundland and Labrador A8A 1K9, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Deer Lake B&B and Inns
n.s.can
“This b and b is a joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I almost stayed here July 19. We called Gordon after trying a few other places which were full. He said he had 2 rooms but didn't tell us there is only a continental breakfast. After being there a while he came into the common room where we and another couple were watching TV. I asked him when breakfast was. He began to appologize profusely that he didn't tell us before hand that he doesn't do a cooked breakfast anymore and it was basically help yourself. I said I was gluten free and the cooked breakfast was one of the big reasons we were there. He said may be we should go elsewhere. At past 8pm and after driving all day, we really didn't want to do that. I said I had oatmeal with me and if I could cook it there, we could get around the continental breakfast. He said okay. The other couple there asked what was for breakfast and he said there was cereal, bread and whatever we could find. After he left the other couple said he hadn't told them about breakfast either.We did a quick look through the cupboards and didn't find too much. Nearer to 930pm Another couple came in and they hadn't been told about breakfast either.

At this point i should say, we never saw his wife and very little of him. They have started a cafe in the last year and that has taken a lot of their time. Gordon told us he has stopped cooking breakfast because he is spending a lot of time picking guests up to and from the airport and car rental agencies.

The outside of the house doesn't look anything like the picture in the advertisement. There are lots of weeds growing between the front steps among other things. The rooms are a little small but the private bathroom across the hall is lovely as are all the common rooms. However there are no robes to wear between the bathroom and your room. Also there was some shampoo and a hand soap dispenser in the bathroom but no soap for the shower, etc. Gordon has a sign by the front door with three phone numbers to get hold of him if a guest needs anything. So I called him and asked about the lack of soap. He said I was raising too many issues and we should go elsewhere. I said I would discuss it with my husband and call him back. He said no we should go. I had hurt him and it was his home after all. He would look for somewhere else for us to stay. A few minutes later he appeared from the back of the house and said once again he was hurt we had looked in the cupboards. I reminded him he had stood on that spot and told all of us we could. He admitted he had but dismissed it. Whenasked if he had called anyone else, he said it was better if we did that ourselves. By now it was nearly 10pm.

One of the other couples said they would email us and tell us about breakfast. We did manage to get a room in a hotel because of a last minute cancellation only. The places around Deer Lake are usually full because of the airport. The email we received 2 days later said breakfast was 3 oranges, 2 limes, 2 apples, bread and cereal and Gordon made 1/2 pot of coffee. The couple had tea and toast and left quickly after the way we had been treated.

This is definately not a 4 star b and b according to the criteria set out by Canada Select. But as some of the reviews have said, if you don't care about breakfast and are looking for a ride to the airport this place will do.
As we hadn't planned to stop in Deer Lake, we hadn't checked tripadvisor about this place. If we had I wouldn't need to be writing this review.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orillia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

The brochure that you find out there at tourist information centres or wherever is the most inaccurate
piece of work that I have ever seen. The lawn at the front of the house is all torn up There was a driveway at both sides of the house and not one as pictured.. The picture of the full traditional breakfast is only in your dreams. The continental breakfast has 2 dry cereals, warm milk sitting on the counter for how long, who knows - warm orange juicer also sitting there, instant coffee for you to make on your own and a tub of margarine for 2 half loaves of stale bread.. As for directions - coming off the Viking Trail - there is no sign. The owner acknowledged this that it was knocked down and stolen several months ago. When we arrived at his door finally - rang the doorbell with no answer, used telephone numbers on clipboard outside to reach owner. We phoned and made reservations 3 days prior to our arriving. Told us he did not have an idea as to what room we would be going into. When we showed him our paperwork, the room with the queen bed and the private ensuite we were told it was not ready.
We had to wait while he changed the sheets and cleaned the place up somewhat ! We decided to go to his wife's restaurant "Cafe on Main" while he did this. The dinner itself of fried cod was good. The restaurant and owner who was there, Judy, brought our meal and then ignored us while chatting up with some local people. The table we sat at could have been cleaned off before our dinner was served but was not. There were tools on another table and dirty dishes on another table that were there when we left. The owner left before we finished our meal knowing that we were even staying at her Bed & Breakfast and didn't acknowledge us in any way. We had to pay the cook for our dinner. When we got back to the Bed and Breakfast found the dirty sheets on the floor in the bedroom. The bathroom floor was tacky/dirty. Beer bottles full and empty in the bathroom cabinet. No faceclothes. The liquid dispensing soap we were told to use in the shower also. The clock radio was unplugged when we got there - plugged it in and could not get it to work We had to phone him to inquire about the soap. The bathtub did not drain at all - standing in 3-4 inches of water after shower.
The bed quilt appeared to have white fur all over it and did not smell good. There was dust on the floor. This place was by far the most disgusting Bed & Breakfast we have ever been in.
Grant and Joan

Room Tip: no good rooms to choose from
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephenville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our experience was terrible! I'm not a person that expects anything "fancy", just friendly service and clean facilities. There was no faceclothes or hand towels in our bathroom and only one bath towel. When we asked for faceclothes and hand towels the lady told us "she didn't have a chance to get around to drying them yet". The comforter had white, crusty stains on it....I think I rather not know what that was!!

The owner was suppose to take us to the airport in the morning as they offer to let you park your car at the B&B. He wasn't available all evening and eventually we went to bed not knowing if he realized what time we had to leave! When we arrived back in NL, he hadn't dropped off our keys (it was 10:00 at night, so he had all day) and then told us he could bring our car down to us if we could drive him back home!!! We had a 2 1/2 hour drive home and we had to drive him back into town! I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I'm surprised at some of the reviews I've read on this site. I can't believe it's the same place we stay. We've stayed at this B&B at least four times, could be five. The service provided to us was excellent. The bedsheets were clean, the bathroom was clean. Those two services are most important to us. Gordon is a wonderful person. We've met Judy twice and found her to be very helpful with any questions we had. Gordon brought us to the airport and picked us up. You can leave your car there for as long as you are away, if you want. In December our son called Gordon to see if he could leave our car there as he couldn't pick us up the day we arrived. The car was left for two days, Gordon even picked us up at the airport, brought us back to the B&B to get our car to go home. He didn't even charge us for it. Gordon has done a beautiful job building on a sun room at the back of the house. I saw a review where someone complained about the backyard being messy. This was at the construction time of this room, of course there's going to be a mess. As for breakfast - it was fine for us. At 4:30 in the morning, I certainly don't want a big breakfast before getting on a plane, nor does my husband. We had stayed at a B&B in Cape Breton a few years back which completely turned us off from B&Bs. You could hear everyone walking around, three bedrooms shared the same bathroom and we didn't get a breakfast. The cost for that? $100.00. So we tried an Inn in Deer Lake, now you talk about a noisy fan that kept us up all night and a smelly room. I had to wash everything in our suitcase plus the clothes we had on when we arrived at our destination. A friend suggested Bird's Nest to us when we had an early flight one morning. We are so glad she did. That's certainly where we will stay anytime we have a flight from DL or have any reason to stay in DL.

Room Tip: Kingfisher room is excellent.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I booked this place in the spring after reading rave reviews and didn't keep checking this website to make sure it stayed as good as it was. Somewhere during the summer, the service dropped off and we encountered the same problem (nobody to answer the door, nobody to answer the phone when we called). A fellow guest ended up letting us in. The house is beautiful (especially the solarium) and, while the host, Gordon, did truly try to welcome us when he finally arrived and asked after us during our stay and upgraded our room for free, we felt uncomfortable being there. Many family members were in the house and wouldn't speak to us. Lights shine in the front windows when Gordon goes to pick up people at the airport in the night, other guests make noise (or should I say the walls are so thin you can't help but hear them even zip up their luggage) when leaving in the night, and the breakfast is dismal. Hopefully, things will improve by next summer so this place can return to its former good ratings. It certainly has great potential.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Vernon, BC, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My sister, from St. John's, myself from Vernon, BC and my 10yr old granddaughter from Camrose, Alberta arrived at the Bird's Nest Bed And Breakfast in Deer Lake, Nl at approximately 5:30 August 04, 2011 after a long drive from St. John's.

We rang the bell and an elderly lady answered the door, stating she was looking after the owner's mother and didn't really know anything about the B&B. No hello, how are you or any welcoming introduction of any sort. She took us into the house and gave us a key and told us there were lots of DVDs if we wanted to watch a movie. No other information was supplied and she disappeared.

The front and back yard was a mess of weeds and appeared to have been neglected for years. The yard did not resemble the manicured show piece the owner has on his web site. The front entrance was cluttered with old broken down chairs. Outside the front door was an old planter which people had been using as an ash tray. The room was not much better. There were plastic coverings on the mattress so if you moved while on the bed there was the sound of plastic crunching. The mattress on both beds was hard and unforgiving with one of them having a dip in the centre from old age. The main fan light in the centre of the room did not work nor did the octopus light hanging over the bed. My granddaughter went to have a shower at 9:30pm and it started to flood as the drain on the floor was plugged. The bathroom sink was also plugged. Gordon, the owner was called and showed up about 15 min later. He left and came back with a toilet plunger and plunged away at the shower and sink. At around 10:30 pm, while we sat on the beds waiting for him to finish, he came out of the bathroom and said the shower would drain well enough but the sink needed a new part. The sink remained plugged. 'Sorry about that' he said and left. He did not subsequently return and clean the shower stall or sink after having plunged with a toilet plunger that had been who knows where. The towels were shoddy looking and did not smell clean.

In the morning we went to the breakfast nook expecting breakfast. There was no one there. My sister called the owner on her cell and he showed up about 15 min later. He pointed to the corn flakes box and stale muffins and the coffee pot. I knew the muffins were old as on the front door step were 2 new boxes of Tim Horton's muffins which he brought into the kitchen nook while we were eating our breakfast. My sister said to the owner that his web site indicated a hot breakfast would be provided. He replied, "Oh, we cater to the airport crowd and just provide continental breakfast. I'll have to update my web site." My sister replied that we were not the airport crowd and wanted a hot breakfast and Gordon said, "Well, what do you want?" Bacon and eggs and toast was the reply. He disappeared for 15 or so minutes and returned and asked again what we wanted and then proceeded to the kitchen to prepare the food. He returned with the food and we had to ask him for a knife and fork to which he said "well people don't usually need that with a continental breakfast." The jam for the toast was in those prepared plastic packages and gauging the consistency of the jam it was very old and inedible.

The owner did not appear to be interested in his guests and the place appears to be in a state of neglect so all in all not an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Stone Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The shuttle service is certainly an attractive feature offered by this B & B. The room offered was good and its features were as requested. In spite of their advertisement, a hot breakfast was not available since the one person who does the cooking was not available until sometime later. I chose to pay the room rate in cash but change was not immediately available and the there was an inference that I should waive receiving all the change I was due. I stuck to my guns and correct change was eventually found. But it left a bad taste in my mouth!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!