“I'm not saying nuthin' I'm just saying” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Manan
Surfside Motel
You added Surfside Motel to your Saves list
123 Route 776, New Brunswick, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Manan
Florida
“I'm not saying nuthin' I'm just saying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

This is not our typical accomodations, but this is not our typical trip either. By most standards we would consider this a bit primitive, the dated 70's decor, glue down carpet, uncomfortable bed, low thread count linens.....but here it seemed to fit right in. The island is a basic fishing village, not hit with commercialism. No Starbucks, no McD's no shopping malls, etc.....all good. So to have a plush place to stay may detract somewhat from the experience I suppose.

Regardless of how we rate this hotel, keep in mind that it will stay as the #1 simply because it is the ONLY hotel/motel on the island. There are several B&B's however, which from the outside seemed charming, at least. The nice people that run the Surfside are genuinely nice people, so saying what I did above was not easy to do, I just want to let future travellers what to expect. I don't want to take anything away from the owners, they are great people. Wish more were like them outside of Manan. (Almost everyone there is very very nice.)

It is located just 1/2 a mile from the ferry drop off point. I suggest bringing your car because the island is beautiful. Observing the high and low tides are amazing, and the SwallowTail Lighthouse, Seal Cove, and cliffs along the otherside of the island are too far to walk. (The main road is about 18 miles long)

We had a view of the water which was very nice. The beach is pretty large, and continues to grow as the tide recedes. We enjoyed finding sea glass among the rocks. Although not abundant, it is there. Since the locals discovered that you can sell sea glass to tourists, it has become harder to find on the island. This may be your best area to find any. (Don't tell anyone). Lol. Also, the wildflowers were EVERYWHERE, so bring a vase with you and pick a beautiful bouquet.

Not sure how much this helps, but if you have a specific question, just ask. I don't think we'll stay here again, but I'll still recommend it. It was affordable, and would be perfect if you are travelling with kids....they'd much prefer this to some B&B. (I know I would have).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mid Coast, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Located in North Head on the island of Grand Manan, the Surfside Motel is a nice, clean and affordable accomodation that overlooks the ocean and has its own beach. We had to leave our vehicle in Black's Harbour, and the owners picked us up at the ferry, providing shuttle service to and from the Motel. The inn keeper, Holly, is pleasant, accomodating and helpful, while the motel dog, Zoe, is great with kids!

• Liked — Right on the beach! Close to Whale Watch/Kayak Adventures
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!