“Great time despite the owners lack of business etiquette and cranky dock-mate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Evandale Inn

Evandale Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Evandale
Evandale Inn
You added Evandale Inn to your Saves list
3500 Route 124, Evandale, New Brunswick E5M 2G6, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Evandale B&B and Inns
Fredericton New Brunswick, Canada
“Great time despite the owners lack of business etiquette and cranky dock-mate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I agree with Steven, apparently I was one of the "redneck morons" referred to by the previous commentary. We were also travelling with children and have been in this situation before, where some enjoy themselves well past what might be comfortable or reasonable for another boater. When faced with this situation, the easy and obvious solution is quite simple: untie your boat and go anchor elsewhere. Don't expect the 10-15 boats around you to quiet down at 9pm when you come out slinging insults and screeching like a mad woman. Also, when you start shrieking at the owner of the establishment in front of other patrons you simply make a spectacle of yourself and do absolutely nothing to resolve an issue.
That being said, the owner could have made an effort to mitigate the situation by handling it like a reasonable business owner should have. I guess when the tone is set for him, he just followed suit. It should be noted that there are no "curfew" signs posted, and had we been asked to quiet down in a respectful, mature manner, we would have been more than happy to comply. The owner mimicked the complainer’s actions by yelled profanities at one of the woman in our group, two inches from her face. We have been here on numerous occasions, and this is the first time we've ever experienced this type of treatment from the owner or from other boaters.
We enjoyed ourselves none-the-less as we understand this isn't a regular occurrence and was sparked by one boat on the dock, who somehow felt entitled to holler and throw a temper tantrum at a group of more than 30 people while no one else had an issue with it. We put this behind us. I would still recommend this place to anyone with this in mind - you reap what you sow; if you act like a redneck moron, you should expect to be treated like one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have to say being one of those "morons" out of the 30 of us trying to have a good time we did just that! There was one "BOAT" that considered themselves the Law on the dock that apparently didnt agree that the 12 boats that held space on the dock should enjoy themselves. I would have to say the Owner was understading in the fact we spent thousands to travel there and even more in staying with rooms, dock space, food and dining and fuel. Despite the one bad apple we had a great time and would recommend anyone who wishes to have a great time with great friends to go and enjoy the inn and dock system. One ignorant person that has no clue what a good time is attemped to ruin OUR vacation by shutting down the dock at 9pm failed and is trying to deter anyone by having a good time in Evendale. Just ignore that last review from a bad apple and someone who knows nothing about "The true boating Experience" as its a great place to go and Visit, just not for the one person who should not be on the river and prides themselves in trying to make everone else as miserable as them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Long Reach, NB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

If you like drunken morons on the dock, this is the place for you. No control over the overnight guests. Asked the owner to have his dock guests turn down the music after 11pm and was called an "F'in C***" by the lovely patrons, and was told that children shouldn't be allowed to stay on the dock.
The pool is great, I will give them that. The man who works in the convenience store is also very nice.
Cigarette Boats roaring engines at 1am, drunk and loud morons unplugging our power source through the night (I watched them do it), what more could a family vacation ask for!

No clue how to operate a reputable business. Basically a free for all. Such a shame because this place could be WONDERFUL!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was happy to see the old Inn revived once again but was really dissappointed in the outcome. I went there the first time it opened and was very unsatisfied with the food and service. The first meal I experienced there was aweful,but I normally give something a second chance and wish I didn't the second time was just as bad food wise. I told myself that I would never go back until I heard a well known B&B owner was hired to bring the Inn some experience with the food and service and a good friend of mine convinced me to go one evening,,I have to say it was really good this time around and was for the entire season. But the following season it started to go down hill once again as they let go the B&B owner ! A friend and I had the buffet and both of us were not feeling all that well about an hour after the meal,but never put much thought towards it at the time. I had also noticed that they have no idea how to train their staff for serving people in a proffesional matter. I also find it strange that you have to be seating in the right area to be able to order certian things on the menu,,the diningroom has different choices to the bar area and one has to be sitting on the deck area to order from the bbq menu ?!
The young owner and his parents have no people skills for pleasing the public. The rooms are really expensive for a nights stay and one has to buy your morning coffee as well ! It is also well known that they use meat that is close to the expirey date,,which brings me to the fact of my last visit there in this new season of 2012,,,I had the club sandwich and the turkey was rotten in the sandwich,,the owner or the chef not once came over to apoligize for this even though he was standing right there and yes I did ened up in the hospital that evening for food poisoning !!
I have known a few people and chefs that have worked there and they have all quit because of thier ways,,,the chiefs quit because of the things they want them to do with the food serving.
I also have docked my boat there a couple of times and would rather have docked it in a sewage treatment lagoon as the smell from the raw sewage running into the river 30 feet away was just over powering with the smell,,I would not allow my kids nor myself to swim anywheres near there. The sewage system is not equiped to handle the amount of people there as it still is just set-up for when it was a household. The enviroment knows of this huge problem and has contacted them but they have yet to do anything about this and still allow them to keep running ?!!
They never have enough staff to handle the people there and it was brought to my attention when they hold evening dances with bands that they lock the fire doors to help control how people come in and out,,THIS IS ILLEGAL !
I have alot more that I could say about what I know about this place but I'm sure you get the idea of what type of place this is,,,,I am fairly local to this place and will not support it in any fashion just as alot of the people I know will not as well from their bad experiences there as well.
So all I can say is if you do happen to try it out dont be shocked if your outings there change everytime you go just as the food and service does. I took a lady there who micro manages resturants for a living to see what her out take on the place was and she was ready to leave in 15 mins,,,,her comment was,,,,they will be out of buisness by next season !

Room Tip: Find another place to stay !
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Riverview, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Visited this resort the last 2 weekends, one via car, one via boat. Certainly a beautiful location.
We dined on the patio the first weekend and very enjoyable. Had their fish & chips, one order large enough for 2 people. Very good. Also had clam chowder, was enjoyed by everyone. The trip by boat was beautiful. Such nice scenery. The crew at the marina were very helpful in docking and also refueling the boat. Once again had a chance to eat at restaurant. Staff are so pleasant and we enjoyed their food. Great place to stop and relax for an hour or two.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had a great lunch there a few days ago. Have always had good experience there, It is a beautiful restored inn with a pool and docks on the river.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We love this INN! It is a family owned and run establishment. The owners have done an extraordinary amount of work on the rooms, the pool and the boating docks. On our stay we travelled by boat up from Saint John and were met by a very enthusiastic young man working the gas pumps who was happy to chat about our boat and our trip up river. We checked into our honeymoon/anniversary room (king size bed, antique furnishings, shower and hot tub!) then spent the afternoon on the patio enjoying several cold beer, munchies of lobster stuffed mushroom caps and chicken flautas along with a few dips in the pool when it got a little hot under the umbrellas. Now there were lots of children and parents there enjoying the pool too, so don't expect a quiet afternoon but we loved it. Plus everyone cleared out around 4:30.
For supper we ate in the dining room and since it was a Tuesday night, we were the only customers. The waitress was pleasant and recommended the Fish and Chips which were very tasty...fresh fish, light batter, hot fries, coleslaw, tartar sauce and ketchup. My husband had a steak which was OK but the veggies were frozen, I believe. My suggestion would be to always ask your server for their recommendation....they know what is good, popular and fresh. We also had a great bottle of Italian red wine which we took to the patio to round out the evening.
Note to early morning riser...breakfast doesn't start til 9:00 so make use of you coffee maker in the room and maybe bring along a muffin. Our breakfast wasn't fast but the coffee was hot and plentiful and breakfast, when it Arrived was hot and yummy.
The Evandale has a real homey feel. You see the owner working in the patio room while his daughter plays in her excersaucer in the corner. Grammy is usually working the desk. If this sounds like your kind of place...don't miss the EVANDALE!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Evandale Inn? Share your experiences!