“Excellent breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Restaurants in Dauphin
Dauphin, Canada
“Excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is one of the better restaurants in Dauphin. Their breakfast is excellent, especially the buffet. The lunch and supper meals are quite tasty, as well.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Russell, Canada
“Awfull perogies in a Ukrainian Town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This Smitty's is conveniently located on a major route at the edge of town. We have been there before and had good Smitty's meals. Nothing fancy but predictable. This time we stopped in for a late breakfast and I decided on the Ukrainian Skillet and my wife had the Ukrainian Breakfast, both offering perogies rather than the typical deep fried potatoes that a lot of places are using. Our waitress (who was also apparently training a new girl...) was pleasant and attentive but after dropping our meals off she failed to check on us again until well after we had stopped eating. The perogies that came with the meal were amoung the worst that I have ever eaten. They were deep fried and over cooked to the point that the outer dough was hard and tough. The filling was bland. A good perogy, when deep fried properly, turns a light golden brown colour and the skin is lightly blistered but still pliable. These were hard little tasteless rocks. I left half of them on my plate. The bill, for the meals with two coffees came to $27.99. Outrageous! I hope that they can use some of that money to source some decent perogies in a town that prides itself on its Ukrainian heritage.
They could also pay attention to some cleaning details. When there is a visible buildup of crud on the door pulls as you are leaving the washroom (making you reach for a paper towel to open the door...) one has to wonder about the overall cleanliness of the establishment.
I also have to wonder why waitresses seat customers in a back corner with a view of the entrance to the kitchen when there are many available tables in other sections of the restaurant that have a much more pleasant view????

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Poached eggs w/hashbrowns
Waffles & pancakes w/fruit

Pretty good, better then I expected from a chain restaurant. Service, cleanliness, food were all above what I would expect from a similar restaurant in Ontario.

Visited September 2013
San Diego, California
“Not my first choice, but okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were there the morning after the Ukrainian Festival ended, so there were a ton of people who were still feeling the effects of last night's party. That made the waitresses a tad busy and a tad stressed. The food was average. If you're looking for a mind-blowing meal, this won't be the place to find it. Considering your limited options in Dauphin, its worth a try.
The breakfast buffet appears to have a ton of stuff in it, but it is mostly fruit, pancakes/waffles, eggs, and bacon. I didn't think it was worth the price, considering there are better options in the menu for cheaper.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Really bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

OK, we arrive and are seated. Menus came fast and that is the only thing the whole time we were there that was fast.

We ordered one oatmeal, one toast and one light breakfast (egg, 2 bacon, fruit and toast). Hardly the order of the week? We then waited nearly 30 minutes for our two simple breakfasts to arrive. I had to ask where they were it took so long. The water for my tea was tepid, my egg over cooked, one of the bacon crispy and the other was barely cooked, the fruit and the oatmeal were on the small side.

When the bill arrived it was totally wrong. This took an unacceptable four attempts and a silly amount of time to get it right and then only after she had to go and get someone else involved. I told her exactly what we had, the price and still we got the wrong bills!

We thought we would be in for a quick and easy breakfast. It ended up taking us close to 50 minutes (!!) for simple fare. That is a record for us in the States and Canada. Geez....I'd hate to see how a dinner would go.

By the way, contrary to what our waitress told us, "we are under pressure", the restaurant was not half full.

I'd have given one star however the food, whilst not great, was not terrible.

• Visited July 2013