“Consistently my fav” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amuse Bistro

Amuse Bistro
840 Cherry Point Rd | Cobble Hill, Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia V0R 1L5, Canada
250.743.3667
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
British Columbia
“Consistently my fav”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I see reviews commenting on the size of portion, these are not american sized meals but I have never left hungry and have received consistenly high quality, high taste and highly pleasing experiences....those that noted portion sizes failed to comment on the fact that you receive bread basket with usually a unique tasty on site made bean dip, original site made sorbets and chocolate truffles....I prefer the smaller sizes giving me the room to have an appy, salad and desert which are always unique and fab....chantrelle mushroom toast was the highlight of last nights dinner with a close second being the scallops Another fab meal

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Victoria, Canada
“Tasty !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had dinner at Amuse last night, and we will definitely be going back.
If you expect to go this restaurant and walk out feeling stuffed, you will be disappointed. However, if what you are looking for is an excellent meal in a quaint and quiet setting, you don't want to miss Amuse.
I had lunch at their Bistro and Bakery a couple of months back and wanted to try their dinner. Worth the trip over the Malahat, to be certain.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“Good, but pricey, and some entrees very small!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We booked a special anniversary dinner here.. service was good, setting was very nice. However, if I had one criticism, it would be that the lamb entree was very small. My husband ordered this and for $29 there was only one small lamb chop. My salmon portion was adequate. I feel this bistro is over priced for the quality of food. Would hesitiate to return.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“will not go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

i have been to Amuse before and was very impressed with exquisite food . Portions have always been on the light side but last visit, and this will be the last, the portions were not only microscopic we left hungry (and we are not big eaters )and disappointed.The menu has become rather "precious". My halibut was about the size of a thimble which was gone in 2 small fork fulls and was partnered with a raviloi with a runny eggyolk inside, . It was the cholesterol fix no one wants, as well as being tasteless and more than a little gross. The egg theme carried through on my husbands appetizer with a deep fried egg served with 2 very nice prawns. So whats with the eggs ?,its like eating in England in the 70's ,when everything was served with an egg or a chip.
My husbands lamb entre was a solo lamb chop ,obviously from a very small lamb ,if you subtracted the bone there was less than an an ounce of meat.We left $170.00 on the table after 2 appys, 2 entres one bottle wine (great) and a shared dessert.
The room atmosphere is still lovely ,like the music ,service O.k. but in reality its all about the food .We will not be back

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
vancouver
“More about plating than enjoying a meal with decent portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Went to Amuse with great expectations but were disappointed with portions. Why would only 4 ounces of halibut be served for the dinner portion and such a small chicken breast that was cut up that it was nearly invisible? We wern't expecting American sized portions, but if we hadn't eaten the bread and shared a desert we would have left hungry. The owners have a fabulous reputation, the food is mostly locally sourced and the preparation is exquisite, but doubt we'll go back which is disappointing because we travel a lot and this is the first time too little food is the reason. My husband also missed not having a selection of sauces for his use with the oyster appetizer. Would have also liked with the chocolate desert more than a flattened spoonful ofvsorbet and some syrup to actually pour over the cake. The home made breads are outstanding.

• Visited June 2011