“Best Halibut 'n Chips” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Seafood
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
“Best Halibut 'n Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is 5 minutes from my parents. We ate here several times during our 2 1/5 week visit. I love the Halibut and Chips. We also do take out of the chips and onion rings when we grill burgers at the house. Our last night, we went and my mother ordered the Chicken with curry gravy, it was to die for. I've always been hesitant to order anything other than the fish and chips, because they are so good. Rest assured on our next visit I will begin to explore the menu a bit. The service is great, you really feel appreciated as a customer. While we wait for take out, they offer us a coffee or soda on them. Who does that anymore?!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Duncan
“Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It was a cold, wet day and I was looking for something warming in Shawnigan. The Village Chippery had chowder on its menu, and I was not disappointed. It arrived piping hot - thick, tasty and loaded with seafood - accompanied by a wonderfully toasted whole wheat bun. Delicious. Patty and Luke were the perfect hosts . . . and they even had a wide assortment of Murchies teas to choose from. The finishing touch was when the bill arrived - so did a raisin and oatmeal cookie. Now that's what I call service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“Once again an experience spoiled by the waitress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I went in with about 45 minutes before work. The waitress had 1 table eating, and 1 table with their bill and coffee. I managed to order my food and coffee. Is it fresh? I asked. Oh yes, she said, it's a fresh pot!

She brought the coffee out quickly enough. It was bitter and lukewarm. I got her attention and asked her to microwave it. She gave me a funny look and took it away. Meanwhile the finished table went to pay, and other people came it to do take out. 5 minutes passed. Finally the people were gone and she still hadn't brought the coffee back. I was worried it would be lukewarm again! and coffee costs $2 and I only had a short time, I wanted to drink it!

I got her attention and said Is my coffee ready?? Oh yes, she said, and I put on a fresh pot!

Hadn't she told me first thing that she had a fresh pot on? This kind of thing is why I avoid this restaurant. They need to hire better staff.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“Wonderful people, good fish & chips.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A tiny restuarant in the heart of Shawnigan Village (look for the lavendar building). Retro decor and small patio. The owners are lovely people who are actively involved in supporting the community. Fish portions are generous, batter is crispy. One of our favorite take-aways.

Visited February 2013
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“Here is the place on Vancouver Island you will not find to easy?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is one of the best Fish and Chips spots, now having said that, the Fish is the best, but the chips need work, one man's opinion. If they upgraded their chips they would be the best Fish and Chip location on Vancouver Island. Great fish and excellent Ginger Beer Soda.......you won't want to miss this spot if your ever in the Shawnigan Lake - 4 Ways corner area.

Visited December 2012