“In the centre of the action” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Sundance Lodge

You added Coast Sundance Lodge to your Saves list
Coast Sundance Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3160 Creekside Way, Sun Peaks, British Columbia V0E 5N0, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Sun Peaks
plymouth
“In the centre of the action”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Coast Sundance Lodge was formally the Delta Sun Peaks.

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite in mid-July and found that the room temperature was fiercely hot. The hotel was built with winter in mind, so only has a heating system, and no air conditioning. There are some windows in the rooms, but depending where your room is situated, you have to decide on whether you want to be kept awake well into the early hours with the town centre party noise, or by the heat.

We stayed in Room 401, which has a shared balcony (keep your door locked if you're out) of the living room / bedroom overlooking the town piazza, and a separate bedroom situated above the late night take-away.

The condition of the rooms was very good, and they were well equipped. The room cleanliness was not very good, with sweet wrappers and bits of food left in plain sight.

Room Tip: Beware of street facing rooms if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hello Jeff W, Thank you very much for your review! You may have us mistaken with another hotel as the Coast Sundance Lodge was not formally the Delta Sun Peaks. I apologize for the temperature and noise issues you experienced during your stay. We were having some issues with our ventilation system that have since been rectified. We always encourage our guests to inform us of noise issues so that we can help rectify them before they sour a guest's experience by ensuring the traffic continues past the hotel. I am sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues you had in your room and would invite you to contact me directly (j.bingham@coasthotels.com) so that I can learn some more details and follow up with my team as that is not the experience we strive to deliver to our guests.
I look forward to speaking with you and inviting you back to the Coast Sundance Lodge so that we can ensure you are provided with the experience you deserve and expect when staying at a Coast Hotel.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Sun Peaks is beautiful. There is some amazing wildlife right on the ski slopes (black bears, elk etc) so well worth a summer visit. Unfortunately, the hotel room that we were in with a slope view was right above the bar. There was music blasting all afternoon (even though the place seemed nearly empty) and then also late into the night. We had called reception at 4pm to ask whether the music would be on late as we wanted an early and relaxing night before a long drive to Whistler the next day and were told that it would not be audible in the evening. At midnight, unable to sleep, we had to get out of bed and ask to move rooms. This sadly spoilt our stay (the rock hard pillows added insult to injury). In the morning, on checking out, the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay. We told him that it had been noisy and that we'd had to change rooms in the middle of the night. He then said "yeah, but apart from that?". We won't be staying there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hello 001Anna001, Thank you for your review! We are truly sorry that your stay with us was not what it should have been and didn’t reflect the experience we are known for. We strive to deliver great service to every guest every time. I apologize if we didn’t hit the mark for you. You are right that we are blessed with a spectacular location in Sun Peaks and I would be delighted to welcome you back for a restful stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when your travel plans bring you to Sun Peaks so I can assist with your arrangements personally (j.bingham@coasthotels.com).
Steyning, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel was a bit off our route but was well worth the deviation.Room excellent facilities to feed yourself eg for breakfast which helped us get away fast. Staff really helpful.
We were able to look out on the ski slopes but as its summer there were bears grazing.

Room Tip: Get a room that looks out on the ski slopes.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello Old60timer! Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at the Coast Sundance Lodge. The variety of our room types and the amenities located in the hotel (cafes and bar & grill) are great as it provides our guests with the option of either dining out or enjoying a "home-cooked" meal in the comfort of their own room. The rooms facing the mountain side are definitely the most popular year round as you can either watch skiers and snowboarders coming down the slopes or, as in your case, take in the beautiful scenery and wildlife... from a safe distance:) Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again!
Vernon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were in Sun Peaks for the outdoor concert Blue Rodeo,they and all the bands were awesome along with the experience of just sitting outside listening to them play.The nature trails are great.
The coast is not very well kept.When we arrived our bathroom there had black hair all over the floor along with pills{medicine}.The room was not very clean.The room was so stickin hot,there is no air conditioning,Im pretty sure they had the heat on in the hallways,I said something but didn't really get a response..They did give us a fan it helped but you couldn't have the door open as there was a infestation of no seams{not sure of spelling}.The whole area is crawling with them,we got bitten so many times.You couldn't even sit in the hot tub,they were everywhere.The hot tub area is quite dirty as well,it and a few other areas need a good scrubbing.Unfortunately when I went to use my facecream,it was missing.I hate to think the maids took it but ,it was gone right after they left,I told the front desk,the lady said ,,,hmm,well maybe it fell in the garbage...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hello sweetvernon, Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the music and festivities - my family was visiting and we had a great time as well. However, I'm disappointed to hear the comments regarding the hotel. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning and there is a 3 week period (during your stay I'm afraid) where the bugs are quite nasty. I can certainly assure you that we do not have the heat on in the hallways. I have the utmost of trust for my staff and do not believe they would have taken your facecream. I would like for you to contact me so that I may be able to learn a few more details so that I can better follow-up with my staff, and so that we may discuss how we can make this right for you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience (j.bingham@coasthotels.com)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

An overnight stay on our drive between Whistler and Jasper turned out to be really comfortable and pleasant.

The room was light, spacious and overlooked the grassed pistes. Easy access from underground parking (10 cdn a night).

The corridors were a bit dull and the dark green doors a bit military like for my taste.

A free outdoor concert was being prepared for the following night and the sound checks suggested that a stay then might not have been so pleasant. These concerts are regular summer events in sun peaks so check when booking.

Comfy beds. Loads of plug sockets. Helpful smiley staff. The coin laundry in the basement is handy for road trippers.

Local shops and restaurants were open. We had a nice sunny stroll through the sun peaks centre and found it much less pretentious and a nicer place than Whistler. We commented to ourselves that it was a more alps-like village-like place such as you might find in Austria than was trying-too-hard Whistler.

Ok, so it's over an hour round trip out of your way; but the next day it was maybe an hour and a half before we saw anywhere else we might have thought about staying before pressing on to Jasper.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hello whoamiwhereami, (great name by the way:)) Thank you very much for your review. We always like to hear from our guests! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in between Whistler and Jasper - it is definitely the best stop to break up the long drive. As you mentioned, the corridors do need some work. But I am happy to announce that we are conducting some alterations (both interior and exterior) so you will see changes happening at the hotel over the next few years addressing these items. We have already conducted alterations in the guest rooms regarding updating some furniture, and will now be focusing on the common areas. Glad you found our beds comfortable as having a good night's sleep is of the utmost importance. I absolutely agree with your comments regarding our lovely resort compared to some of our competitors, and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!
Come back soon!
Thanks again, James
Sun Peaks, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The staff particularly at the reception were fantastic, so helpful with lots of things. The hotel was very clean & comfortable. Good location, although it was quiet while we were there, we actually enjoyed this!

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony overlooking the ski slopes, beautiful. King size bed with full facilities in...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
S East England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This is a very basic hotel, clearly intended as a skiers hostel when we have not doubt that the resort is busy. In summer however, nothing gets going until the season which is, we were told once we got there, July and August. The room was clean but not very comfortable and in mid June very few places open for eating. Staff poor, hot tub was highlighted as a key feature when we arrived, it did not work and was also not very clean. A really poor choice as a mid way stop between Whistler and Jasper, takes you a round trip of 50k out of your way, far better to push on and stay in a roadside motel, which may also be basic but we suspect you would get a better experience . Very surprised this hotel was one chosen for us by Trailfinders, nothing like the quality of any others we stayed in.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Coast Sundance Lodge, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello gardeninggirl! Thank you very much for your feedback - we always appreciate hearing from our guests. I'm sorry that your Sun Peaks Resort experience was not all that you had hoped. July and August are definitely the busier summer months as far as activities go - though we do have a significant amount of guests that really enjoy the peace and quiet during the less busy summer months. I would like to learn more about your stay, specifically the Sundance Lodge portion. Our staff is one of our greatest assets, so I am very surprised to read that they were "poor". We are undergoing some hot tub maintenance so I apologize for this inconvenience, and it definitely should have been brought to your attention at check-in. I would really appreciate you contacting me at j.bingham@coasthotels.com so that I can learn more about your stay and what we could have done as a hotel to make it better.
JB

Been to Coast Sundance Lodge? Share your experiences!