“Average ski condo” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Forest

Crystal Forest
You added Crystal Forest to your Saves list
Crystal Forest
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Valley Drive, Sun Peaks, British Columbia, Canada   |
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Average ski condo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here in Feb of 2013 for a ski vacation with some friends. The condo is a little bit dated but that shouldn't deter you from staying here. We rented a very reasonable sized two bedroom, two bath condo, complete with outdoor hot tub and full amenity kitchen. The condo was clean and bright. A gas fire place and plenty of in-floor heating kept everything cozy. The kitchen was stocked with dishes, pots and pans for all your cooking needs. The hot tub is private to each ground floor unit which is a nice touch. There is also an in-suite washer/dryer.

The ski in/ski out claim is sort of close. We spent a bit of time trying to discover how close we can get while staying in our ski/snowboards. It's not door-to-lift, that's for sure. With a bit of brave spirit, you can actually ski to the door but you are walking if you are on a board. Going the other way,to get to a lift, well, I guess depends on which one. The mountain is laid out a little weird with critical access lifts in completely different areas from each other. Not centralized at all. So you are walking whether you like it or not.

Having said that, it's only a five to ten minute walk to the village for dinner. It's not that bad.

Why only the three stars? The walk brought it down a star for me (if they haven't made the claim if ski-in/ski-out, then I would have went with a four star). The pull out couch bedding was stained, as was the extra comforter that I found in the closet to use. There was not an extra pillow(s) provided for the pull out couch.

If I were to go back to Sun Peaks again, I would probably try to stay right inside the village itself. It's much more convenient access to the lifts. Either that or just stay much further away (better price?) and just drive to the day parking which is right next to the lifts.

Side note, as this might be important to some of you. Bedding and towels were not changed during the time that we were there and we rented the room for a week. I am not sure if we were expected to wash our own sheets etc during that time. This might be of importance to you but I didn't really care that much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Couples
Solo
Business
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed via Bear Country Lodging, and everything about the place was perfect. The accommodations were well above our expectations, and the Bear Country office could not be more friendly and helpful.

Couldn't recommend it more highly!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We were up for my brothers wedding in July and of course were not sure what to expect. The pictures did not do our place justice. It feels like home the minute you walk in. The condo's are well maintained and well stocked. There is not one thing that was missing from this accommodation. We have 2 children 4 and 7 and they also felt at home. It gave us all a very relaxed feeling. We were able to bbq outside with our extended family and go hot tub hopping! If you are up for an event with kids I would def. recommend this. It is about a 10 minute walk to the village and the views are breathtaking! Definitely recommend for families.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
North Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We stayed in a nice condo within the Crystal Forest/Bear Country Lodging area. It suited us well as it was affordable in price and relatively close to activities etc (about 10 - 15min walk). As we were a large group (of 7) we certainly made our presence known within the condo. But upon check-out, we cleaned up and left things the way we came upon them. A day after getting home to Vancouver, I received these comments in my email:
1. Excessive use of the Hot Tub requiring a “Dump & Fill” & replacement filters
Charge: CDN$ 150.00 + taxes = CDN$ 168.00 all taxes included

2. Extra Cleaning required upon departure including
Food on the floors in living room in every corner
Feathers everywhere downstairs (living room, bathroom, in basket, kitchen)
Sticky residue on tables, chairs, bar stools
Syrup on floor & counter in kitchen
Oven/Stove full of herbs
Full sink of dirty dishes
Charge: CDN$ 65.00 + taxes = CDN$ 72.80 all taxes included

Total Extra Charges: CDN$ 240.80 all taxes included

*** These charges appeared out of no-where, with little warning that they could even do such a thing. While the extra cleaning charges were acceptable (in price) the description was out of this world, as if completely fabricated.
The one that really got me was the Hot-Tub charge. If anyone is considering staying here, I would avoid ANY use of the hot tub. Apparently, if you sit in it more than 15 minutes as a group, the filters will clog and the thing will have to be redone... certainly not the hot-tubbing experience I have enjopyed in the past. In no way did we damage or abuse the hot-tub and it did not appear dirty or excessively used. Without our agreement, we were charged for this, and the credit card company that we used said that we could not dispute the charge because we proivded the credit card authorization to pay for the accomodations (which apparently includes any extra charges the Lodge feels are necessary).
I will never stay here again nor will I ever recommend this plan to anyone. It is a lesson for me when booking similar spots in future as well; I will speak with someone at the front desk about all possible hidden charges before booking in future. In speaking with other groups that have stayed at the Lodge, it appears that these charges are extremely common and are added as default. What a scam!

• Stayed February 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Five of us, 4 adults and one 16 year old stayed in the 3 bedroom condo at Sun Peaks Resort in British Columbia, Canada in March 2008. We chose this unit because it was ski in/walk out. Actually, it was walk in/walk out. About 8 minutes both ways.

This was our annual ski trip in 2008 and we all have experience staying at different condos in different ski resorts. We found our unit at the Crystal Forest to be just average at best. It was a 3 story unit with a small bathroom and shower on the main floor, as well as a small kitchen, small eating area, and small living room area. The unit was clean, in good repair, and small. The second floor had 2 bedrooms - a queen size bed in one, and a bunk bed that will accommodate 2 people in the other. There was a full bathroom on this floor. Rooms were of a good size. The 3rd floor had one bedroom only, with a queen size bed.

Apart from the first floor, the other space in the unit was of a reasonable size. There was a small, outdoor, private hot tub that accommodated 4 people. The condo advertises it accommodates 8 people. I guess a larger group would have to hot tub in shifts. The tub was on the patio outside - in view of the street.

Crystal Forest is not a bad condo. However, it was not particularly good either. We've all stayed in better condos that cost less than Crystal Forest at equally nice resorts. I was irked that OK Chalets that we used to book the condo told me it was ski in. It definitely was not. OK Chalets also told me there would be wireless internet. There was not. I could have complained and I'm sure they would have fixed this problem but I chose not to as it was not that important to me.

I cannot recommend better accommodations at Sun Peaks as I did not visit any others. Overall, it looked to me that there were very few ski in/ski out places. My only advice is to continue to search for the best deal.

• Liked — Beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — No ski in as promised.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

I booked my trip through Bear Country Lodging and was very impressed with the level of service and price.

We booked a two bedroom/two bath, with pullout couch in seperate living room, kitchen and private hot tub for $280 per night during high season.

It is only a few minute walk from the village, so if you need the space then you definately want to try this. In fact, there are many condos in the area that look just as nice. Bear Country Lodging handles many of these condos.

When you are at Sunpeaks a must activity is dogsledding. Wow. My children and I will never forget that experience. It is a must do and very reasonably priced! Approx. $200 per sled for 1.5 hours. Google Sun Peaks Resort and you'll find the information under activities. You'll need to book far in advance, so do it and prepare yourself for a time of your life!

• Liked — value and size of accomodation
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crystal Forest? Share your experiences!