“restful, gorgeous, welcoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Artist's House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sicamous
Artist's House B&B
You added Artist's House B&B to your Saves list
20 Bruhn Road | Box 1053, Sicamous, British Columbia V0E 2V0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Sicamous B&B and Inns
British Columbia, Canada
“restful, gorgeous, welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

So, in full disclosure, I lived in this house until I was fourteen years old. We moved away twenty-five years ago and my brother, Dad, and two children came back for two nights and stayed "in the old house." We were AMAZED! The owner, Victoria, has kept the house up/renovated it amazingly. It is absolutely gorgeous. The setting is as stunning as ever, overlooking the Shuswap on beautiful property that backs onto the woods. We stayed in the three rooms upstairs; my children and I shared "the blue room" which includes a cozy alcoved bedroom; my Dad had the spacious back bedroom that includes its own en suite, and my brother stayed in "the orange room" overlooking the lake. We all had wonderful sleeps (my children slept for wayyyyyy longer than normal due to how comfortable the room/beds were).
Victoria is a gracious and welcoming host. Her scones are unbelievable. Frankly I felt quite spoiled while we were here.
The outdoor recreation/lake/walking opportunities around here are really endless and if you've not been to the Shuswap before, come! Stay here! Enjoy! And if you have been to the Shuswap before, definitely book a stay at this great B and B on your next visit; you already know how great the area is and now learn how great Victoria and her beautiful home are!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Victoria S, Owner at Artist's House B&B, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Aww Kyla, Thank you for taking the time to write such a raving review! I Loved having you and your family reconnect to the house, relax, and go back in time.
It was as if the 'Hemmingway' family dropped in for a visit....all the stories!
You are all part of the magical history of interesting people who have left their imprints.
This place is for sharing. I am delighted that you were able to come back to your childhood home.
love and laughter
Victoria

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed for 1 night. The location is overlooking the lake with beautiful views. The house is down away from the highway but close to the railroad. There is noise from the trains but, honestly it's not a big deal. The view makes up for it. We were able to walk down to the lake but the slope is only for people with good walking abilities. The house is amazing and full of character. Breakfast was great with local ingredients and the coffee very tasty. I would recommend staying here to anyone, and is a great location if your driving along highway 1.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wonderful find! My motorcycle buddy and I spent the evening and morning realizing what a gem we found in discovering Victoria the owner. Of the B&B’s we stayed at on our annual week long rides, this was our best experience to date. If you love visiting and getting to know your host, Victoria is a great first choice. Beds and Linen’s were clean; Yummy piping hot scones I couldn’t stop eating! Eggs, fruits, yogurt, there was ample.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria S, Owner at Artist's House B&B, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
What a delight to get the review from the motorcycle buddies. An ahhhh... Response is the best along with a WOW response, usually when I serve breakfast. I love when I can wake up a weary traveller and exceed their expectations. ...that's where the joy is.
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife & I selected this place on the advice of a relative and I'm glad we did. Quaint little heritage house with all sorts of charm. Great view overlooking Shuswap Lake with eagles, osprey and loons. Green room was comfortable and clean. Main floor and patio are open to the guests and provide a relaxing atmosphere. Location was convenient to Sicamous where we were attending a mushroom festival. Victoria was a great hostess providing excellent breakfasts and good history of the house and surroundings. We'd have no hesitation in going back.

Room Tip: Choose the Green Room. It has its own private bathroom and while not looking out on to the lake (you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review....and for your cousin who recommended the 'Artist's House'. It was wonderful to have guests come for a local event that is often overlooked.
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

What a great facility. Victoria was absolutely wonderful and very hospitable. The house sits half way up the mountain which makes the views of the lake amazing. While having a terrific breakfast we watched a bald eagle soar around in front of us and perch in a tree right on the property. We stayed in the room with the ensuite, and it was very comfortable. Like other have mentioned, it is close to the train tracks and it disturbed us during the night a little. A small price to pay for such a wonder stay. Victoria is extremely proud of the house which has been in her family for a number of years. She has done a lot of research on the history of the property, as well as the surrounding area. She was a very pleasant woman. I would definitely return here and would stay longer than just one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for relaxing , really enjoying your experience and writing such a great review. it is very rewarding to see comments that go beyond the room and the food. Joyous!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here just after Labor Day so the town was a bit quieter than during the summer rush. We stayed in the green room and it was very tranquil. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious with a cute and functional adjoining bathroom. In the evening, we enjoyed sitting on the patio and looking at the lake. Victoria offered us a glass of local wine and we got to meet Patches, the resident cat.

The breakfast was delicious and very filling--we did not need lunch that day. The breakfast is served in a glassed-in porch overlooking the lake. We enjoyed chatting with Victoria over breakfast and loved hearing about the history of the house and the area.

We did not find the train noise bothersome--it lends to the charm of the place. Overall, a very pleasant stay and we wished that we could have stayed there more than one night!

Room Tip: We stayed in the green room, which is pretty spacious and has an attached bathroom. It is also on th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria S, Owner at Artist's House B&B, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and to know that you relaxed and enjoyed yourself is the best. enjoy your journey.
Victoria
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed upstairs in the orange room. The bed was comfortable with very soft sheets. We would have slept very well had it not been for the trains passing by right beside the house. The train tracks are extremely close by, and several trains went by in the night, disturbing our sleep. Plus, because the house doesn't have air conditioning, we had to have the windows open to cool the small, elevated room, which made the noise worse. Thankfully, there was a fan.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. The house is gorgeous, beautifully decorated with art by the host as well as many antiques and collectibles. And the breakfast was delicious and ample, and it was great to eat it on the deck overlooking the lake.

I'm not sure that I'd return because of the noise and warmth, but we enjoyed our stay all the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria S, Owner at Artist's House B&B, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
A fair review , I do appreciate your comments. What I have learned from you is to screen the needs of my guests more closely. The 'orange' room , although it is some people's first pick can be hot and noisy on a busy hot summer evening.
There are two other rooms that offer a different experience. The most popular 'green room' is cool and serene as it faces east into the woods and has an air conditioner and en suite bath. If the 'green room' was available I would have suggested that room for you.
As all BnB's are unique the Artist' House is unique on many levels.It is the executive home of the former honorable Ralph Bruhn an entrepreneur and member of parliament from 1922-1941. It has history I like to share.
The cozy Salmon colored ' Orange room' is a true heritage room. The foundation wall of the CP Sicamous Hotel is still in mint condition on the waters edge below down the mountain hillside and
over the tracks. the train can still be seen snaking around the waters edge, the silloettes of the mountains separating the different arms of the lake remain as it was, the old structures of a time in the past are gone.
If you venture this way again I would love you to try a different experience.

Been to Artist's House B&B? Share your experiences!