“Thin walls + Drunk Men = Sleepless Nights” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Driftwood Inn

You added The Driftwood Inn to your Saves list
The Driftwood Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   5454 Trail Avenue, Sechelt, British Columbia V0N 3A0, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Sechelt
Campbell River
“Thin walls + Drunk Men = Sleepless Nights”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Don't stay the first weekend of June as its a Golf Classic Weekend. You will be surrounded by loud drunk men will little concern for other guests and an on site manager who turns a deaf ear to the noise. The walls are paper thin, so you hear everything going on in the next room. Rooms are non smoking so everyone smokes in the breezeway and if they start talking it only echos, course you wont be able to open your window between the noise and smokers. Not that those 20+yr old windows offer much insulation from the talking, car door slamming etc.
Made the mistake of eating breakfast and even within the city its known as a place not to eat breakfast at least (unsure about other meals didnt even want to attempt other meals there.) Ours ended up sitting under the heat lamp for who knows how long.
Our room was near the maid laundry which made showering interesting when a load of laundry was going. Crave a hot shower only to get blasts of cold.
No A/C but an old small fan. The room does get stuffy and the weather was an average spring day (high teens low 20's) During the day found having the door open would give the breeze needed.
The room was alrightly cleaned nothing spectacular. More attention to detail was needed. Spider webs and not just some little thing either.
Customer service isnt their strong suit. Even your complaints fall on deaf ears. Will NOT stay there again. Wish I had investigated hotel more before booking.
The location is great you are a stone throw from the water. (Select rooms are water view) With a walk path in front of the hotel. Close to stores.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We choose this hotel for the location. Our grandaughter had never been in a hotel before.
When we walked in she stated this is a very beautiful home grandma. The beds were so comfortable and the room was so clean. When I read the horrible reviews below I was worried. Iam in the hotel business and was very impressed staff were great and very helpfull. Thank you so much for such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have stayed at the Driftwood many times. I come once a month for business. I have stayed in almost every room in the Inn, and have never come across a problem. The king size rooms are very comfortable and have a nice feel to them. Last week when I stayed and was given a waterfront room. The view was amazing! The rooms are quiet and well kept.

At check-in, the front desk staff offer a coupon for the Dining Room. I decided I would give it a try. The view was also absolutely stunning! The menu was quite large with a variety of choices, all for a pretty reasonable price. The service was good.

I wrote this comment to show my appreciation to the Driftwood after staying several times and being assured a place to rest and relax.
Thanks Driftwood!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

There is absolutely no better value than this motel. The restaurant is top notch, the beds are clean and comfortable, the rooms are quiet, the staff is friendly, they welcome small pets and the ocean is right outside your window. All this for very reasonable rates and you can walk to anywhere in town in under 5 minutes. I would be very suspicious of why anyone would suggest how terrible the place is. There is a pebble beach right outside the place; maybe they got bitten by sand fleas or something, but we stayed there for two nights and experienced no such problems.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

A very nice hotel that fits the Sunshine Coast perfectly!!!‎

I was a guest there last night, my second stay in two years. It's only fair to set the record straight after reading the hatchet jobs below. This motel is located in a beautiful, largely unspoilt section of Canada. A 5* Bellagio-type hotel here would be as out of place (and unwanted) as a somewhat rustic, picturesque beach motel would be in Las Vegas. In other words, this place fits its locale perfectly. The pictures show exactly what it is, and what it is not. If it's not your cuppa, don't come.

Very nice staff run the place. Our room was very adequate, and absolutely clean, with all the necessary amenities, including free wireless internet. Comfortable bed. No bedbugs, no spiders that I could find.

Perhaps those people complaining about insect bites may have gotten them from sand-fleas during their all-night cavorting on the beach just a few feet from their (and everyone else's) rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Unfortunately we booked this place without researching it, as we had to go to a wedding and just needed a hotel in town for a quick overnight stay. What a mistake. This is a basic 1 star motel charging 4 star prices. We paid $134 for this dump. The only good thing it has going for it is the location,right on the beach. The room was dirty and old, straight out of the 70's. No air conditioning, just a table-top fan on the dresser. Cobwebs on the ceilings, old worn out matresses, and those horrible cheap pillows with tiny chunks of foam inside, so they are all lumpy! It is badly in need of a total renovation. The room was so hot I woke up at 2 am and had to open the door for some fresh air.
The adjoinig restaurant is not much better. The food was greasy, overcooked and aweful. I could still taste it 2 days later.
This is the worst hotel I have stayed in for many many years, Avoid this one at all costs. Go find a nice B&B in the town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Spiders are bound to pop up in a coastal town, but bedbugs are a little more than what I bargained for! I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights with another person. We both kept waking up with these red, itchy bug bites. They always came in two's--about 1.5 inches apart. We thought they were spider bites until the second to last day of our stay. I did a Google search on bedbugs in the Driftwood Inn, and up came a report from a lady from Oct. of last year. I had done research on bedbugs and knew how to look for them. Long story short, I talked to few managers, they put us in another room...that had bedbugs as well (we inspected the beds). I insisted that they outsource accommodations for our last night. They were quick to book us in to the most disgusting hotel I have seen to date! It was near the Lighthouse Pub. I refused to stay there and ended up staying in a tent that I happened to have in the back of my car. This place does have new mattresses, but it obviously didn't help to eradicate their bedbug problem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!