“Fantastic fishing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trailhead Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Renfrew
Trailhead Resort
You added Trailhead Resort to your Saves list
17268 Parkinson Rd | 17268 Parkinson Rd., Port Renfrew, British Columbia V0S 1K0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Port Renfrew B&B and Inns
Sechelt, Canada
“Fantastic fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Trailhead is a focused charter fishing organization. We were a fishing group of four. We stayed 3 nights and fished two days. We caught our limit of fish and came home with each person having over 50 lbs of cleaned, portion packaged and frozen fish. I've many many trips there and every year is a little better. Food is gourmet, the rooms are great and the guides are a-one fishermen who want you to catch fish. Peter & Connie are great hosts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I phoned to book a cabin for 5 adults a couple of weeks before arrival. After inquiring about the possibilities I was told that there was a new cabin available, the Hiker Hilton, which would suit our needs.
Connie phoned 6 days before occupation date and left a message for me to call back about the reservation. When I returned her call the next day she said not to worry, everything was fine.

On arrival in Port Renfrew on the reservation date I greeted Connie in the office and said we had a reservation for the Hiker Hilton. Connie said 'No you don't'. I said we had made a reservation and it had been confirmed by her. Connie shuffled back through a book and confirmed that yes I did have reservations, and indeed she had called me about the reservation, but that she had given the room away to other customers earlier that day. I was pretty stunned by this news and further surprised when she said they were fully booked.

She asked if I would like her to find another place for us. She did manage to find a place for us to stay. It was more expensive, but Connie did not offer to cover the difference.

I was surprised by Connie's cavalier attitude, her lack of concern about the impact this oversight had on our group and her not covering the extra cost incurred because of her mistake.
I wouldn't recommend booking with this resort.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Granted there aren't altogether THAT many option in Port Renfrew, but the Trailhead Resort proved to be an excellent home base for exploring the area before attempting the WCT. The rooms were spacious and the kitchenette was a great feature. Right across the street is the long term parking lot, and also where the WCT bus drops you off. We never used the hot tub, but the people who used it seemed to enjoy themselves. No complaints!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had booked a couple of nights at the Trailhead Resort as I was expecting to be on standby for the West Coast Trail and appreciated having a kitchenette for final food preparations. The place is good for having space to spread out, but unfortunately I was fooled by some website photos that made the place appear newer/cleaner. I am very particular in choosing my accommodations, so while this does provide decent basic accommodation, I wouldn't put it into a 'resort' category. I didn't want to walk barefoot in there and the bathroom and kitchenette both left a little to be desired. I was glad to be able to have a hot shower before a week-long hike, but was surprised that there wasn't even a hair dryer. I asked to borrow one, but was told by the lady (the owner?) that she had never used a hair dryer in her life. Interestingly enough, I see from comments below that they are now investigating what it would take to install these in their bathrooms. Suggest driving down the road to Sooke, spend $30 at Shopper's, and place in the bathroom - that's what I did. If you need a place to crash for one night this place can work. For anything more, I would explore other options up the hill in Port Renfrew.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This place isn't a resort by any stretch of the imagination. The focus of the "resort" is on fishing charters & supplies. The room is large but basic except for a nice seascape mural over one bed, and sits above a fishing goods store & office.There are 2 beds, an important feature for my sister & me, a small bathroom, & a modest kitchen area against one wall. (Bring your own knife; there were several in the kitchen drawer, none sharp.) We bought our own box of facial tissues. There is no hair dryer available either in the room or from the office. We were inundated with flies, probably because of the fishing gear right outside our room & the lack of a screen door. Customer service is practically nil, even to no response to our request to mop the not-so-clean floor. The area's hiking, however, is unbeatable!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TCresort, General Manager at Trailhead Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We are sorry that you hada poor visit to trailhead but we are happy that you had such a great sleep in our resort. yes we do cater to a lot of fishers as the area is renowned for world class fishing and we also have a great deal of hiking enthusiiasts staying here as well. in regards to the lack of hair dryers we are now investigating installing them in our bathrooms but to be honest none of our clientele have ever requested them. The problem with the dirty floor is disturbing and our greatest apologies for that as we take pride in cleanliness and customer service.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at Trailhead Resort from Aug 26-Aug 29, 2012 and had a fantastic trip! I would like to thank Connie and Peter for their warm hospitality. The cabin that we stayed in was very spacious and welcoming; it felt like we were at home! We did 2 days of fishing on Aug 27 & 28 with Mike on the Hovinator. We had a great time and caught a good amount of fish for being so late in the season. We were treated to a hearty breakfast before departing the in morning, a nourishing lunch while on the boat, and a gourmet meal cooked by Gareth (their amazing chef) when we returned. All of which were excellent! We would like to thank everyone at the Trailhead resort for this amazing trip! We will defiantly be back next season to do it all over again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The waters off Port Renfrew to Swiftsure Bank on the west coast of Vancouver Island teem with salmon and bottomfish. And this great fishing is only a scenic three-hour drive from the BC Ferries terminal at Swartz Bay via Highway 14 West.

With its fleet of soft-riding, 10-metre Silver Streak cruisers, well-equipped with the most modern electronics for navigation, and radar, anglers from Trailhead Resort can reach distant, deep-ocean offshore waters in safety and comfort. The guides are experienced professionals who know how to catch fish; you'll come home with halibut, chinook and coho salmon, along with other species if they're around.

For each day of fishing, anglers receive a hot breakfast, an ample lunch on board, and a fabulous four-course gourmet supper (with an emphasis on fresh seafood) in the evening. We ate extremely well!

A really great part of any Trailhead Resort's fishing package is the extra night's accommodation after your last day of fishing; you won't need to tackle the twists and turns of the secondary highway after a long day on the water. Accommodations range from large, multi-room cabins for families to motel rooms. The rooms include kitchen facilities with stove and fridge – but why bother cooking? Hikers coming off the world-renowned West Coast Trail, as well as those visitors just driving through Port Renfrew are welcome too.

The resort provides fishing cleaning, filletting, vacuum packaging and blast-freezing for all anglers coming to Port Renfrew. It's a service well worth the small extra cost. Anglers driving to Port Renfrew should bring a BIG cooler, but the resort does have styrofoam coolers for sale.

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful day of fishing and two-night stay with Trailhead Resort. When we got home we had many packages of solidly frozen, meal-sized packages of salmon and halibut that only needed to be dropped into our freezer! Fabulous!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Trailhead Resort? Share your experiences!