“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Page's Resort and Marina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gabriola Island
Page's Resort and Marina
3350 Coast Road, Gabriola Island, British Columbia V0R 1X7, Canada   |
Victoria, Canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed in cabin 1. at Pages Resort. We found the accommodation in great need of a renovation to make it suitable. The cabin is dark, very old. The washroom is cramped-shower pieced together and rickety plastic (no bath tub). Could use a shelf or some counter space for bathroom items. Step down 4 or 5 inches to get into bathroom. Kitchen was really old and basic.Living area unwelcoming. No screens on any of the windows. The bed was small. But sheets and comforter comfy enough.The cabin does not have any home like extras at all. No radio,games, books,puzzles not even a box of Kleenex. The Silva bay shipyard (next to Pages) worked Very LOUDLY!! grinding and sanding till 7pm. Not peaceful at all. The office building and docks looked nice.
Previously, when we have rented a cabin or cottage on the gulf Islands we have recieved a spotlessly clean, modern, quiet place to stay. For a similar amount of money.
Totally disappointed..

Room Tip: Maybe cabin 2 + 3 are better?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PagesResort, Owner at Page's Resort and Marina, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Doug and Kelly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. As you dropped off the key I tried to talk to you however sensed as you rushed out the door that things were not ok.

You are correct in your assumption that the other cottages are much brighter as they are not nestled right in the trees as yours is. That we find some love and some wish for more light.

With respect to the noise from the shipyard, while I know this does not help you and you may find hard to believe, that was the first time in the five years that we have been here that it has been such an annoyance. I did track down the owners that night, however the noise bylaws allow their clients to continue working until 8pm. The grinder certainly caused an awful sound and for that I apologise.

We are also sorry for your disappointment regarding the cottage. Every year we spend a great deal of time and money improving our facilities and it is through feedback such as this that we set our priorities. While I would love to offer you a complementary stay to get you back and to show you that we do respond and that our other cottages might better suite you, I get the sense that you might not accept that and so I have processed a credit on your card for the entire amount of your stay.

Please accept our apologies and be assured that we do not take your comments lightly.

Hoping that we might be able to welcome you again some day,

Gloria

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We found Page's through an Internet search and took a chance on it. It looked good and was priced comparably to cabins we'd rented on other gulf islands. Unfortunately the quality is lacking at Page's. Let me start with the kicker: the cabin sported easily the most uncomfortable bed I've ever paid to sleep in. The mattress was both too short and lumpier than my crappy old college bed.

The finishing on the cabin was quite uneven - there was very nice wood finish in the living room but the bathroom was very shoddy and looked like it had been cobbled together as an afterthought. There was a burn mark that had been cut out of the linoleum and left on full display in the center of the bathroom floor. To be fair, there was a beautiful wrap around deck and the cabin was very clean.

The grounds could have been quite nice had more attention to detail been paid. For instance there was a large dumpster opposite the office (and directly on the path down to the marina) that was overflowing with garbage for the entire duration of our stay.

We actually considered leaving early, and our stay was only 2 nights...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PagesResort, Owner at Page's Resort and Marina, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is through responding to comments from our guests that we have continued to meet and exceed their expectations.

So given this, we were very dissappointed to read how you felt about your stay. While I was delighted to hear you found the cottage very clean, I was surprised about the discomfortt with the bed.

With respect to the damage done to the linoleum this summer, we are challenged at this time of year to get in to do any significant repair as we have guest after guest checking in. I realise that this is not your problem, but a challenge that we need to find a way to address. I will take a look as soon as our current guest leaves to see if there is a better short term fix we can do.

And garbage, yes that was a bad week and garbage pick up is on Tuesdays, the day that you checked out.

Steve, please accept our appologies for your dissappointment. We would like to offer you a future complementary stay to demonstrate that we do respond and our focused on ensuring our guests enjoy their stay. Or if you would prefer, please provide me with your credit card number and expiry date and I will give you a credit for this stay.

Again thank you for taking the time, and we hope that we might see you again in the future.

Gloria Hatfield
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I had stayed in a cottage at Page's Resort 2 years ago, and I wanted to see if it had changed since I last reviewed it. I'm happy to say that it was just as wonderful when I stayed for this Thanksgiving weekend of 2011.

Page's Resort offers fully equipped cottages nestled among tall fir trees, overlooking Silva Bay. Each cottage feels isolated from its neighbours. The privacy and silence are wonderful.

I stayed in a different one-bedroom cottage this time, but it was as clean and comfortable as my first one. The kitchen is equipped with everything you need except food. The wood-burning stove will heat the entire cottage. Unfortunately the little grocery store at Silva Bay is no longer there, but you can stop at Folklife Village on your way to Page's to pick up groceries.

The cottage's bathroom is very modern and there's plenty of hot water. My deck overlooked the marina and harbour, perfect for morning coffee. Once again I found several books at the resort's bookstore. I discovered that while Rogers cell customers won't have any reception at that end of Gabriola, but Telus customers will.

The only suggestion I would make is to get regular-sized coffee cups in the kitchens. The cups were tiny and I found them a bit awkward -- but then I drink a lot of coffee and tea.

I've recommended Page's Resort to a lot of people, especially when suggesting a romantic getaway or girls' weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed at Page's Resort and Marina (www.pagesresort.com) over the Labour Day weekend in 2009. It was the perfect getaway for a local (Nanaimo) resident who doesn't drive: just walk on the small ferry and catch Gabriola Island's only taxi to the other end, at Silva Bay.

Page's Resort offers fully equipped cottages nestled among tall trees, overlooking Silva Bay. Each cottage feels isolated from its neighbours. The privacy and silence are wonderful. The only sounds are the wind in the trees, the waves on the shore below, and the occasional chug-chug of a departing sailboat, or the faraway drone of a float plane landing. Apparently you can fly right from Silva Bay to downtown Vancouver.

All of the cottages have full kitchens, bathrooms, fireplaces, electric heat and quite large decks with a picnic table, the perfect place to take your morning coffee. Set on five acres, this resort also has picnic area, laundromat, marina, bookstore and a campground with showers. I found the book selection good, and bought two while I was there.

Groceries are to be found just a ten-minute walk through the woods to Silva Bay Marina, but ask the owners of Page's first for directions -- it's easy to get a bit turned around when you emerge from the woods onto black-topped roads. Summer Sundays you'll find an outdoor artisans' market at Silva Bay as well as several permanent shops and galleries with artwork and other goodies. The pub at Silva Bay has decent food and tables on a large deck overlooking the water.

My spacious cottage at Page's Resort was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, with a denim-covered couch beside the wood-burning stove, a kitchen table with great views over the bay, and a bedroom with twin beds. The bathroom was modern and clean. The kitchen supplies dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, coffee, tea -- all you need to bring are your basic grocery items.

Cell phone reception at this end of Gabriola is a bit iffy and sporadic but there's a pay phone at the marina. The owners told me they're open year round, and a winter weekend in one of the cottages would be wonderful. I would definitely stay there again. You can see photos at their website, www.pagesresort.com/gallery.html.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Page's Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!