“A little unique find on the coast” 5 of 5 stars

Shady Shores Beach Resort
6695 West Island Highway, Bowser, British Columbia V0R 1G0 , Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bowser
alberta
“A little unique find on the coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

From the day we arrived, we felt very welcomed. All the rooms were very clean and modern, included fireplace, kitchen two bedrooms, bathroom. The cottage was right on the beach, with beautiful views. The owner made sure we had everything we needed. The price for the emenities we had was reasonable.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

A great place. Shady Shores is a quiet, unassuming retreat tucked along the eastern shores of Vancouver Island overlooking the ocean. Carolyn, the owner operates 6 Villas which are modern and very well kept each capable of sleeping 4 comfortably and 6 with a pullout in the living room. Each villa has a kitchenette, dining area, private outdoor picnic area and cozy living area with fireplace for those cool nights on the ocean. Each Suite has private front door access which makes direct off loading of your vehicle a treat. There's also hot tub in a gazebo overlooking the ocean - very clean.
It's quiet, very comfortable and great a for an overnight or a weeks holiday. Great Oyster beds if you love shellfish.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Clinton, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

I happened to be looking for a fall getaway weekend, nothing too expensive, but something relaxing, and I came accross this place while surfing the internet. After I looked up "Bowser" on a map, I thought it sounded like it would be a nice, quiet place to relax for a weekend away from my busy city life.
When I drove down the driveway, I immediately knew that I had chosen the right place. The view was spectaular. I was lucky enough to have a "Beach Cottage" - and I felt like I was right on the water... in fact, I was, as the beach is directly below the deck.
To be able to sit at the table by the window and hear the sounds of the ocean was a beautiful experience. I saw lots of eagles, seals, herons, and of course seagulls... and it was all right at my doorstep.
After spending just a few days there and meeting the owner (a great, witty, lovely lady) and her staff - I felt right at home and would and have definately recommended this "Diamond in the Rough" to my friends....... I just hope they don't all want to invade the small community of "Bowser" at once.

It is a GREAT PLACE - and I will be back.

Thanks for the hospitality.

Stayed December 2007
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Every year I take my grandson on a vacation; he is now 13 and it is getting a little more difficult to find something that will entertain him. This year I decided to take him up Vancouver Island to Qualicum Beach where I spent my family vacations every year as a child doing a lot of beachcombing and salmon fishing. I located Shady Shores Beach Resort in Bowser via the internet and then phoned to obtain further details. I was on the phone with the proprietor, Carolyn Graeme not even 5 minutes and I knew this was the place I wanted to stay at.
On our arrival I knew I'd made the right choice as Carolyn greeted me using my nickname. Not only did Carolyn & I hit it off immediately, she also did with my grandson. For the duration of our stay we were treated like family. Her choice of a charter fishing boat and skipper were excellent... he was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and entertaining. Not only did we catch our salmon but he also provided us with some crabs that we ate for dinner. Carolyn plugged in unused freezer to freeze the 18 pound Chinook so it would remain frozen for our three hour trip home.
The accomodation was excellent with a fully equiped kitchenette, two bedrooms with very comfortable beds. The livingroom had a very large window that provided us with a wonderful view of the ocean.
I was so at home that I failed to install the "club" on my car (which Carolyn got the biggest kick out of that I should even consider needing it) nor did I even find it necessary to lock the door at night.
I will jump at the chance for a return visit.
Richard Bugslag, Burnaby, BC

• Liked — Ocean view, cleanliness, comfort
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Langley.B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

Shady Shore Resort was a god send for my mother & myself as we had both been recovering from Cancer each.We were looking for a place that would be peaceful & calm as our lives had been crazy the last few years.When we got to Shady Shore Resort we just fell in love with the place & found the people there so special.We met so many fun & interesting people from all over & found out that many were repeat customers as they had enjoyed staying there so much before.We also came back this year & enjoyed it as much as last year.We had met people who had come there for their honeymoon,we met doctors from Germany,we met a Vicker & his family,we met people from all walks of life.We all became fast friends as most people stay a week or so at a time.The owner & her girls are a lot of fun to be around & they couldn't do enough for you.It was almost like a little village with everyone sharing their day trips with each other,or sitting around the campfire laughing & telling stories.The kids just love the beach as there is so much to look at & treasures to be found which they lug back to their place.To se able to watch the seals in the morning while having your coffee or to watch the Bald Eagles in their nest is the most relaxing thing there is.To go beachcombing with strangers who then end up as friends.Everybody is just so friendly & relaxed without a care in the world.To be able to see Pink,Purple & Blue Star Fish when the tide goes out & to pick Oysters & Clams a few feet from where you are staying is just amazing & at night to watch the Cruise Ships sail pass on their way to Alaska all lit up with lights.Just wonderful!!
For doing day trips you couldn't pick the right spot to be as you are central to the tourist attractions from anywhere from 15 minutes away to 45 minutes away all depending on what you want to do!
Shady Shore Resort is the best place to get away from everything.It's everything you could want in a vacation & more.The people who own it & work there have the best personalities which you need when running a place that deals with all kinds of people & their quirks.They treat everyone as though they are family.To us Shady Shore Resort has become a part of our family & we look forward to seeing them for years to come.This is one place that we highly recommend to everyone!! Hope to meet you there next time!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — too short
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bend,oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I found Shady Shores on the internet..and the photos and info on the website looked very good and the place very inviting.
I spoke directly to the proprietor ,Carolyn Graeme by phone(3 separate times) from my home in Oregon and she sounded very pleasant and told me the" executive suite" I reserved had a wonderful ocean view etc.
My daughter,son-in-law and I arrived and the proprietor,Carolyn Graeme, greeted us in a bathrobe,cigarette in her mouth and a drink in her hand and when my son-in-law approached her and asked if we were at the right place, she greeted him in an friendly manner saying,"You are early"..We had arrived at 2:30pm after a long drive from WA to the ferry,ferry ride and another long drive (we had left WA. at 6:30am)Check in was at 3pm .... we were only a half hour early.
The place looked like nothing on the web site and the so called ocean view was blocked by a huge hot tub plus if we parked our car in front of the "suite"(the only space available),the view would be doubly blocked.
Carolyn Graemet then informed us that we had the wrong dates and that we were a week early.I am sure she put down the wrong dates for as soon as I had finished talking to her from Oregon,,I called my son-in-law in WA. to confirm the dates with him ( he wrote them down),I called the airline and made reservations. I made my airline reservations to fly to Seattle as my daughter and her husband live in Washington and we were going to B.C.together.
Ms.Graeme refused to refund my deposit of $200.00 and said we could stay in the Lodge (a house) with 5 bedrooms..the rate was $500.00 per night.As we definitely did not need 5 bedrooms and she evidently had no customers for those nights(we were staying 4 nights),I asked her if she could charge us less as $500 per night was too much.
She adamantly refused.and ,again,.was extremely hostile.
We left .without the refund,of course..
....My son-in-law is Iranian-American and I do not know if this influenced her to be so hostie to us...My daughter and I are not Iranian...By the way,my son-in-law is a wonderful,caring,loving person.
I would not want any other family to ever be treated in such a way...and I hope there is something that can be done about her unfriendly and unkind attitude and the completely
"misrepresented"website as I am sure many others will be extremely disappointed when they arrive and actually see what Shady Shores Resort looks like, especialy people from the States who have so far to travel.
Needless to say ,as Americans who love Canada,we were deeply shocked and hurt by her behavior.
It took us several more hours of driving but finally found a lovely B&B and warm and gracious hosts in Chemaimus.(.Wistful Vista B&B).Elizabeth and Russ McGee restored our faith in Canadians.We had a delightful stay with them.
Sincely,
Jeanette Pease,Bend,Oregon

P.S.Ms. Graeme had put the wrong dates on the faxed confirmation letter ,also, and the dates had not been corrected.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — propretor's unfriendly attitude
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PrincessTsunami, owner at Shady Shores Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2008
I have just been advised of this sites existence by a valued customer, whom expressed her concern over a review she stumbled across. In the hospitality industry, we strive to make everyone have the best time them can , so that they will reflect upon a positive, memorable experience for years to come . This is not always possible, as there truly are some people whom prefer to be miserable. Fortunately we have had few that have dawned our doors, and those who have arrived on Full house dates rather than the dates that their signed reservation had determined.

Been to Shady Shores Beach Resort? Share your experiences!