“Week of Wellness...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
You added Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa to your Saves list
3800 North St., Ainsworth Hot Springs, British Columbia V0G 1A0, Canada   |
Treasure Island, Florida
“Week of Wellness...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. I left Mountain Trek feeling both physically and emotionally stronger than I had in a long while. We were cared for and nurtured while being encouraged and inspired. We learned so much about health, wellness, and nutrition. It was an amazing experience that I hope to indulge in on an annual basis.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lima, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is not an ordinary spa - it is a special place to regain your life. I had fallen out of shape the last few years. By attending Mountain Trek I was able to understand the connection of food, exercise, stress, and sleep in a way that makes sense. I even learned how to integrate what I learned back in the "real world." The yoga was gentle and I felt accepted in the class even though I had never done yoga. The hikes were magnificent. I really pushed to accomplish the week and I am proud that I did it. The mountains are soothing and beautiful. I would like to send everyone I care about to Mountain Trek.

The customer service was outstanding, and I believe that the staff really care about you. The hospitality, accommodations and food were all wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at Mountain Trek a few years ago. When I started looking for a weight loss center, Google sent me straight to hiking.com... It seemed like madness to travel from Greece to Ainsworth, I could hardly find it on the map... however after checking out all the other available weight loss spas I decided I wanted something more active and figured I should give it a try...

The experience was amazing and after spending 4 weeks hiking in the summer, I went back after Christmas for another 2 weeks of hiking with snowshoes in the winter.

The area is trully spectacular and I will never forget hiking in those mountains. I had never hiked before and was a bit afraid I would not be able to follow the others, however we were divided in groups according to fitness levels and general physical condition and that fave you a wonderfull feeling of struggling to achieve your goals together with others who are compatible with you. Merely completing the hike every day gave you a great sense of accomplishment, and together with the weight loss results you gained confidence and pride for yourself.

The staff was great, always helpfull and supportive. They were also quite tough, woke us up at 6.00am to beging our day with morning yoga and breakfast, before setting out for our dayily hike. They always knew how to get the best out of us, by pushing us hard but not too hard as to demotivate us. I remember all the team with great fondness and gratitude.

The food was also at gourmet standards..., very lean but delicious and we got to learn a lot of great habits to take home with.

Regarding the accomodations, I am sure since my visit there have been changes and improvements. When I visited they were very good, but with no spa-type luxuries. If you wish to be pampered 24/7, have a TV in your room, play golf and bridge, then go to a Californian spa. Here you got a comfortable bed with a tiny bathroom, a very warm and cosy communal area for sitting around and a family dinner table. There were only 12 of us each week, so you can imagine how personal the feeling was. There was a gym area and a great hot tub for soaking those hurting muscles.

The Mountain Trek experience was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Greenwater, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I visited Mountain Trek in the spring, motivated by a desire to jump start my summer season in a more active mode than I'd been in lately. I am quite fit and did not need to lose any weight, but wanted to reinvigorate my drive to keep increasing my fitness level, and to get information about eating patterns that might be less healthy than I assumed they were. My visit accomplished all of the above, and the changes have stuck with me more than 2 months after my visit. There were a few small bumps in the road with kitchen errors, a couple of annoying evening fitness classes and one guide who was apparently untrained, but in the overall scope of the trip's benefits these were tiny distractions. The one caveat is that, while the common areas of the lodge are comfortable and have spectacular views, the guest rooms are spartan, and I do mean spartan: I believe the bathroom might have occupied 16 square feet. Overall Mountain Trek gets high marks for the thought, care, and smart information that goes into the program. It wasn't perfect but I'm glad I did it and would do it again.

Kapaa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

As I left after 2 weeks and 20 pounds of weight loss, I had a renewed invigorated spirit. I was excited to have made a huge start on journey toward a healthier life and body. More striking, was how I felt about the staff at Mountain Trek. So inspiring an warmhearted, and genuinely committed to helping me reach my goal, they were also invested in seeing that I continued to move forward once I left. Sometimes the people can make all the difference. I was there in June of 2010, but that was not a time frame option on the trip advisor site.

North Hollywood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

As ridiculous as it may sound, Mountain Trek completely changed my life.

When I arrived at the lodge, I was not in good shape. I was depressed, 80 pounds overweight and I felt powerless to do anything about it. I’d chosen Mountain Trek because so many of the reviews here on TripAdvisor used the phrase “life-changing”. And that’s what I needed – a life-change.

My week there was hard. I was just so out-of-shape. But the staff was amazing. They encouraged me and seem to genuinely care about me. And even with the perma-fatigue, I could literally feel myself getting stronger every day. By the end of the week, I had lost seven pounds!

And what about the food? Well, since my normal diet consisted of soda and baked goods and ice-cream and salty fried foods, I was worried about the “spa cuisine”. But you know what? It was incredible! Everything was super-tasty and I made sure I got all the recipes to take home. And miraculously, even though I was eating less, I never felt like I was starving.

I also thought the lectures were great. I really did learn so much about how my body works – and how to make it work more efficiently. They also address dealing with stress -- which I really needed.

Oh, and an added bonus? You’re so tired at the end of the day that you’ll get some of the best sleep of your life!

But can one week in the mountains really make that much of a difference?

Well, since coming home two months ago, I’ve used what I learned to lose a total of 32 pounds… so far. ☺ (Only 50 more to go!) My palate has been completely transformed. I don't crave sugar or salt or caffeine anymore. I snack on fruits, nuts, veggies, hummus and dips. I'm never starving and yet I'm naturally eating less.

I also actually CRAVE exercise now. I’ve joined a hiking club and a tennis club. I’m doing yoga and strength training. It’s crazy. When I wake up, my body WANTS to exercise!

But my life has been changed in other ways too – not just the physical. I’m happy again, I’m smiling again, I’m dealing with stress so much better. It’s just night and day. A previous reviewer called Mountain Trek a "complete body, mind, soul experience" and I couldn't agree more. I'm stronger now in every possible way.

I’m sure there are those who go to Mountain Trek just for the great hiking and the beautiful scenery. But if you’re anything like I was, it can be so much more than that. It really can change your life.

Oh, and I want to address the one bad review here. Clearly, she didn’t bother to read any of the literature before she went. Go to the Mountain Trek website, click on the “Boutique Fitness Retreat” tab, scroll down to “What You Will Experience”, then choose “A Typical Day”. That’s the program, folks. If you don’t want to do that, then don’t go. This isn’t a five-star spa designed to entertain and pamper you at all times. This is a boot camp designed to help you live your best life. In a gorgeous setting. With fantastic people. And I recommend it with all my heart.

Room Tip: Just keep in mind that the rooms are sparse, not plush. And the bathrooms are tiny. But you really...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Plus side: Amazing location in the mountains in British Columbia. This is an active vacation; I came to get into shape and to clear my head through communing with nature. I did get better endurance, thanks to the hikes, and better flexibility, thanks to the yoga, and better state of being thanks to the calm and quiet, the healthy diet, the detox and the massage. Communing with nature did not happen as much as I wished, although this is due to my own lack of being in good shape. The yoga studio is incredible and I loved the experience of daily morning yoga. The hikes are challenging, but you pace yourself, and you feel yourself get stronger with each day. The lodge has a small hot tub, and three types of sauna, which are great after a hike or before a massage. The hot springs very near to the resort are such a treat after a day of exercise. Most meals are delicious and always varied, which allows you to come away with many ideas for healthier eating at home. The limited caloric diet never leaves you hungry. The staff are very friendly, the guides are as well. The yoga instructors are excellent.

Minus side: If you are not already in great shape, there is not much opportunity to commune with nature, which is a shame, as the scenery around you, the mountains, lakes and forest is stunning. The problem is that lack of endurance doesn't allow much opportunity to truly soak in the nature. Consequently, get into shape before you go, and when you get there, not only will you improve your endurance, but you will also enjoy the nature more. There is opportunity to soak in the scenery and self-reflect in the evenings, but I was just too tired, and the place lack a pool. The entire time I was wishing for an infinity pool that looked across the lake at the mountains. Additionally, I was expecting somewhat of a spa setting. This is not the case. The lodge is very nice, but can get crowded, and the rooms are spartan, albeit with comfortable beds. The bathrooms are tiny, and some rooms have single beds, so be warned. Additionally, this is not a place for younger people, I am in my early 30's. Most clientele is well into their 50's if not beyond, and most are conservative. If you are a younger urbanite like myself, you may feel like a fish out of water, but then you come here for reasons other than to be social.

All in all, this is an expensive, active vacation. I am glad I did it, but I did expect more luxury for the price point. However, the change in my fitness level and the decrease in stress after two weeks at Mountain Trek are priceless. For an urbanite like me, with indulgence at every turn, I needed to get far away and focus on health. If this sounds like you, then pull the trigger and go.

Room Tip: Requesting rooms is not possible, so you may be put in a room with a single bed. I lucked out and h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!