“Always top-notch -- No exaggeration to say MT can be life-changing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
You added Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa to your Saves list
3800 North St., Ainsworth Hot Springs, British Columbia V0G 1A0, Canada   |
Dallas, Texas
“Always top-notch -- No exaggeration to say MT can be life-changing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This is an update of a 12/19/10 review, after I had attended my first Mountain Trek program in Baja California, at the incredibly beautiful Rancho La Puerta. I'm so glad that I also attended a week at MT's (own) lodge in B.C. Both experiences were wonderful, but totally different. Due to the nature of the Lodge, the accommodations in B.C. are smaller than they are in Baja, but very serene and spotless. And because there are only about 10-14 people attending at any one time, it's a much more intimate group. The food is excellent, and offers chicken and beef during the week in addition to fish (the program in Baja is vegetarian and fish). I have never worked out or done yoga in a gym with a more magnificent view; MT's gym looks down through a frame of trees to Kootenay Lake, which is something like 100 miles long. All of this detail does not do justice to the spirit at Mountain Trek in B.C. -- the inspiration, the serenity, the RESULTS!, the fabulous staff -- all of whom are highly personable, professional, caring and motivating. MT doesn't just want you to lose weight/fat while you're there; they aim to help you make practical changes that will allow you to keep losing once you're home. And actually, the weight loss is just part of their overall program, which is to educate you about how to stay vital as you age, rather than just succumb to societal expectations about growing older. This has been a major transitional year for me -- getting divorced at 57, and trying one last time to lose weight and keep it off. I was so inspired by my visit to MT's lodge in B.C. that I climbed the highest peak in New Mexico five days after leaving. My experiences at Mountain Trek this year have made a huge difference in how I live my new single life -- physically and emotionally. I enjoyed the beautiful hiking so much that I'm planning to attend their 10-day "Turkey Burner" snow-shoe session over New Year's. My advice to anyone thinking of going is -- GO! But also make the most of your trip by planning it at a time when you can go home straight into a new, healthier routine. The 2 leaders and the nutritionist emphasize that you should focus on patterns, not details, of a healthier lifestyle and urge you to select a small number of goals/new habits to commit to when you leave. This is easier to do if you don't have to travel, move or change jobs in the first couple of weeks after your MT session.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

What a great week. I needed to de-stress and put myself first, so I went to MT in August. I'm a busy attorney with lots of stress and too much work. The week at Mountain Trek "reset" my body and mind. The hiking was phenomenal. I'm only a novice hiker, but felt great and made it to the top of Idaho Peak. The guides are very encouraging and are knowledgeable about the area, history, foliage, and trails. The food is really terrific. When I tell people that I was eating 1200 calories a day and that I was never hungry, they don't believe me. It's amazing that a few almonds or berries can satisfy you on the trail for snack! Yoga to start the day was great. Nutrition class and other classes were very helpful in guiding me to bring back my MT experience to my home in CA. Wouldn't change a thing.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I travelled half way around the world to get to Mountain Trek - 3 flights, a bus ride and 24 hours later I found myself in one of the most beautiful parts of the planet. I was finding it very difficult to shift that last 5 kgs and I needed a holiday from a stressful job. I googled mountains, yoga, lose weight - Mountain Trek lived up to and exceeded all my expectations. What I found most extraordinary is the attention to detail. MT have been doing this for a long time and they understand and have prepared for every single type of eventuality. They are consumate professionals who are passionate about helping people to achieve their goals, whatever those goals might be.... giving up smoking, losing weight, discovering trekking and mountain air.... I can't speak highly enough about the staff, the food, the care factor. I loved my 2 weeks there and lost nearly 3 kgs in two weeks but more importantly have been inspired to keep up the exercise and healthy living now that I'm back home.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to get a double room even though single occupancy. The service is impecable. The...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Mountain Trek is a simply fabulous program made up of professional/compassionate guides and staff, awesome hiking, delicious and satisfying food, yoga, circuit training and educational lectures (including how to integrate your MT experience/activities into your "real" life). It is difficult to put into words the feelings and sense of accomplishment I experience at MT - I am a repeat guest and I would live there if they'd let me! If you are ready to challenge yourself and have fun and meet great people and feel the vitality surging through your very being, I encourage you to go to MT - the people and the program will bring out the best in you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

MT delivers what it promises: a kickstart to healthy living, weight loss, and vitality in the midst of the beautiful Kootenay region of British Columbia. It is amazing what even one week of fresh air, rigorous hiking, a daily dose of yoga, and healthy eating can do for one's body, mind, and spirit. Enormous strides in short time are made possible by MT's well-designed program executed by guides who are supportive, energetic, and interesting people -- the kind of people you'd be happy to talk to if you happen to be hiking beside them. The lectures on nutrition are particularly top notch. And there is the setting: this is a truly beautiful part of the world, and I can't imagine a much better place to hike.

Room Tip: Rooms, including bathrooms, have been recently renovated. They tend to be small but well-appointed.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

A great value for a mountain hiking/weight loss retreat. Everyone in our group raved about the scenery,food, and excellent weight loss.I will definitely go back.

Healdsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I am addicted to the rigors of hiking boot camps and have done many different ones in the past, mostly in southern California. However, Mountain Trek is the one I always come back to. Why? I lose the same amount of weight regardless of the rigors and differences of each program. But Mountain Trek has something very special, The Kootenay Lake and Mountains. Hiking for 4 hours becomes a blast when experiencing the wonders of this alpine landscape. The abundance of trails, white water rivers, and wild flowers are endless. Absolutely majestic. The guides are very experienced and the program has evolved and been refined over the many years of running Mountain Trek. The food is great and lectures point you to a better lifestyle that I find to be maintainable once you leave camp for a long time. I will be back, again, next year!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!