“Basic but good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Stony Plain
Fort St. John, Canada
“Basic but good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed at Motel 6 at the end of July 2012. The room was nice and clean, and the price was reasonable. If you're expecting to have amenities in your room you have to think again. Any amenities have to be asked for at the front desk: iron, iron board, shampoo etc, blow dryer. Not sure if this is due to theft or just that some people prefer their own brand of shampoo etc. First front desk clerk was not that helpful but other staff the next day were great. Basic continental breakfast. If you're looking for a basic, reasonable priced motel just outside of a big city, this might be one to look at.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband, my son and I stayed at this hotel for the August long weekend. The hotel is well maintained, but very basic in amenities, especially for the room rate. I have never stayed at a Motel 6 before so I was disappointed with the lack of amenities in the room. We were a family of 3 so the 2 double size beds seemed small. The TVs are old and placed high on the closet. I really missed not having an in-room coffee maker! There were no hair dryers, kleenex or shampoo/conditioner in the bathrooms (shampoo available from the front desk). We did welcome the mini-fridge though and the hotel did offer a continental breakfast from 6-10am.
My other complaint is, on one of the days, I returned to my room after housekeeping had been there to find my door was left adjar. I trust that hotel staff will keep my belongings safe and they should have checked to make sure my door was closed tight before moving onto the next room. I complained to the desk clerk, she apologized and said the housekeeper had a sore neck!! Huh? I don't think I will return to this hotel and I will think twice about reserving at any Motel 6 in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

......My wife and I arrived, no reservation, got a good room at a good price,,,, under $80...
Small, clean, spartan and quiet. Decent bed, no complaints bathroom.
The front desk was very helpfull and pleasant....... Good location, lots of eatery's near by, brand new car wash just behind.......
No breakfast, just coffee.....
Great for night!

Room Tip: Make your pitch..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

Staff was great and the rooms decent for the price but not impressed with the general manager. She was VERY rude to us and after driving through a snowstorm on the way there I was not impressed with how she spoke to us. After being told something when we booked the room and then her stating that she was the "general manger" and she makes the rules, there was no way we were told that! Very unnecessary and unprofessional. If it was an option we would of walked out and spent our money elsewhere. I feel bad for her staff if that's how she treats them because everyone else was very pleasant.
Overall a good stay, the manager just needs to get off her high horse and appreciate EVERYONES business.

Stayed March 2012
btoker, General Manager at Motel 6 Stony Plain, AB, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
I would first like to apologize to this individual, I do not know of the exact incident that she/he is pretaining to, but under no circumstance should I have been rude, and will not make excuses. I can only say that I would like this person to contact the hotel so I could talk to them directly and try to make up for my rudeness.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We had a great stay - friendly and accomodating staff were a pleasure to deal with. Room was excellent value for the price!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This motel is just your average motel. The rooms are big enough, and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rates aren't sky high, so what do you expect? Free internet in your room is available, and the location is great; right next to dairy queen, Boston pizza, and across from Shoppers drug mart. My family and I always stay at this hotel, and have never had any problems.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This hotel seems fairly new and in good shape. Staff is friendly and efficient. Room is what you would expect for Motel 6 and is basic, but comfortable. The bathroom floor was not clean, and had some dried up stuff which was stuck on it. They inspect the room for anyone with a pet, or anyone who pays cash/debit - in case you smoked in the room, (or in case the pet pees on the carpet) but for others who pay with credit, they don't inspect the room, because you've signed something stating that they can charge you if you smoke in the room. The clerk informed us that she had "just charged someone the other day" because of smoking in the room. That sort of comment from the manager, combined with the review posted below about a non-smoker being charged for smoking in the room just leaves me feeling a little uneasy about this particular place, so just ask for an inspection of the room before you leave, or else pay with cash/debit.

There are all sorts of people sitting around the doorways at the ends of the building who are smoking outside in the evenings, and I could smell smoke in the hallways as it coems in when the doors open, etc - and I'm sure some of it gets into the rooms through windows or ventilation systems and air condintioner/fan. If they don't want smoke coming into the buildings, they should ban smoking completely on the property

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
btoker, General Manager at Motel 6 Stony Plain, AB, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us.We welcome all comments ,as they help in insuring we keep improving our customer satisfaction.

I just wish to state that there is NEVER additional charges placed upon a guest unless, we first advise them of it, and give them the opportunity to question it.

Been to Motel 6 Stony Plain, AB? Share your experiences!