“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1505 North Broadway, Minot, ND 58703 (Formerly the International Inn)   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Minot
Brandon, Canada
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was a little leary to stay here based on some of the previous reviews, however I was looking for somewhere close to the airport. The front desk staff were a pleasure to deal with and the room was exceptionally clean. The free shuttle to the airport and long term parking are a huge plus. The restaurant service was the only reason I am not giving 5 stars. We will stay here again, probably won't eat there.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your stay with us at the Grand! All feedback is welcomed. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our amenities of our property.

Jim Mello

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Guys Mills, Pennsylvania, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel was recommended as one of the best in town. Room rate with taxes was $184. I stayed October 2-5. Room was large and it was clean.

The front desk staff left a lot to be desired. I inquired about the bus to the Hostfest and they didn't have much information and really didn't seem to want to help. I asked for a wake-up call and that never happened. On the last day I asked for a shuttle to the airport and was told to have a seat for about 15 minutes. The time went by and nothing happened so I inquired again and discovered they never let the driver know I needed a shuttle.

The shuttle drivers were one bright spot in the stay. Coming from the airport the driver told me a lot about the area and seemed to really enjoy his job. Going back to the airport the driver asked if I had a good time at Hostfest and told me more interesting things.

I ate in the bar two evenings and the food was good and the wait staff pleasant but not really friendly. I ate breakfast in the restaurant and the food was good and the wait staff there was very gracious and aimed to please.

Hostfest was fun. I enjoyed all the Scandinavian entertainment. Crafts for the most part were Scandinavian and not what you find at the typical festival. I am not Scandianavian but decided to enjoy the culture and eat Scandinavian foods. Lute Fisk is definately an acquired taste. Overall, the festival is wonderful.

It was too bad the hotel did not make you feel welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your stay with us at the Grand! All feedback is welcomed. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hostfest, our town is very proud of our annual festival. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with our stay. I feel like your stay is not typical experience. We like our employees to go above and beyond for our guests. My staff joins me in our sincerest apologies that your were not satisfied. I would like you to give us another chance if you are attending the Hostfest in 2014 or if you are ever in the Minot area again. I can provide you with a voucher for a free night stay. If this is something you are interested in taking advantage of please contact info@grandhotelminot.com and provide us with your address. Be sure to include that you are a review from trip advisor.

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Nothing too special. Room was clean, and TV small. Lots of plugins and small refridge.
A loud pool area filled with screaming kids on the weekends. These sometimes break away and run up and down hallways up until evening.
Restaurant has huge portions and again, food was okay. Waitresses nice and helpful. I ordered a large juice and it was huge.... I could not finish and I am a juice drinker. That was impressive.

Room Tip: Try to avoid weekends, lots of locals come in to party and use pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while in Minot for a weekend. We have stayed before, and had a decent stay.
This time was a different story. Although the room was decent (outside of the small TV), the service was awful. When we arrived for check in, we waited at the desk for a couple of minutes before another staff member (housekeeping) yelled to the backroom to tell the front desk staff we were there. The front desk staff still took another couple of minutes to actually come out and help us. This wasn't an isolated incident either, I went down to get a paper and needed some change prior to check out and had to wait while the front desk staff changed their paper in the adding machine. There was no other guests at the front desk at the time, so not like she was doing it in a rush to help someone.
I called back to the hotel to talk to my wife on Saturday and was connected to the wrong room. When I called back I was placed on hold for 5 minutes before I finally just gave up. I tried again about 30 minutes later and was again placed on hold before finally getting through.
Price is also high, so this will more than likely be the last time I stay at the Grand International when I visit Minot. Way too many choices now to waste our money at this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hollywood, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I checked in to this hotel because it was supposedly the best in town. At over $150 per night, I expected some quality and service. About half of the rooms are "pool" facing, meaning that they face the swimming pool. During my multi-day stay, I noticed that EVERY DAY, seemingly ALL DAY, they rented out the pool for various parties for children. OK, I don't normally mind children. But it's now 10pm and I can still hear them screaming. It has been like this virtually all day. Due to the oil boom, many hotels are partially or fully booked, so that if you as a general traveler check in, you will likely be stuck with a pool-facing room.

I've been having severe allergies and used my kleenex box in the room. The laundry people don't replace it, leaving the low-budget black plastic box - supposedly containing a tissue box - empty on top of my sink ...

Someone wrote that they "didn't have to leave the hotel" for a "meal"… This is truly unfortunate, except for what must be the simplest of tastes.

The worst element of the "Grand Hotel" experience is the restaurant, Primo. Please don't patronize this restaurant, unless you want inflated prices, terribly rude service, and disgusting food. Unfortunately, I have been to this restaurant numerous times, since others in Minot seem to believe that, because it has tablecloths and an Italian theme, it must be good. With the oil boom, people are absolutely knocking down the doors of average places in town like Applebee's and the Olive Garden, which are indeed fabulous by comparison, and whose parking lots are overflowing with patrons. The International Inn is a convention spot, and could benefit by actually hosting a real restaurant. Far from the "night spot" it appears, even from the beginning, it is abrasive. One waits at the desk for a prolonged period for a table, even though there are many empty spots. No adult employees seem to be present. Eventually, a teenager will seat you and shove a glass of water in your face. I should have known that it would be a gruesome experience by the lack of clientele on a busy Saturday night in town. Sadly, I've had numerous entrees here including several pastas, fish, and steak. They are nearly unpalatable. Tonight was the piece de resistance! I had the Bruschetta appetizer, replete with dried, rock-hard sun-dried tomatoes on cheap untoasted bread with some melted cheese on top.

When I retired to the restroom for less than 5 minutes, my glasses (left on the table) were gone! Even though the waitress, Lorilee was around, I had to summon her to find out that - in my brief bathroom break - they had assumed I had run out on the tab and were going to clear my table, even though I had a full, unconsumed glass of wine and the entire disgusting Bruschetta dish! She retrieved my glasses from the front desk.

When I told Lorilee that the Bruschetta was disgusting, she did nothing except say "sorry". No offer to make it right. No offer to try another appetizer. No explanation of the bizarre glasses-confiscation and assumption that I had just run out on the bill!!

While paying at the front, the teenager-in-charge obviously cared nothing about my complaints, nor did she offer to contact her manager or take any further action. The food is disgusting! The service is rude!

My advice about this hotel: stay away unless you love screaming children and bad restaurants! The Holiday Inn Express is much better!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GrandInternational, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. All comments are always welcomed. We have spoken to the Primo staff that helped you that evening and they join me in my apologies for experience. We will take this experience as an opportunity to make improvements.

Again we offer our apologies that you were not pleased with our property. If you would like to discuss the matters further, please feel free to contact me directly.

701 852 3161
displaced
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am currently in this hotel this week as a family who is STILL displaced by the flood. Our service overall has been above and beyond. Cleanliness and staff has been nothing but helpful and accommodating to our "special circumstances". I cannot thank the staff and most of all GM Mr. Mello enough for the environment we are currently in and they will never know how much it means to our family to have a sense of peace for the week we can afford to stay. I'm blown away by the reviews I've read, and I myself, am hard to please. These negative reviews MUST be written by overall angry people that just need something to complain about. This hotel has newly remodeled rooms that are SPECTACULAR and for my children, fiancé and self are glad we found a place with a sense of family and caring nature and hope we are able to stay longer. Thank you Grand and your name is nothing short of "fitting". The Welsh's will forever return with pride and a sense of comfort knowing we get the best service possible. If ANYONE has a complaint I'd like to hear it directly from you fore I have YET to find something to complain about.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GrandInternational, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us with your review. As we appreciate all feedback, we are ecstatic to read your touching review. It is people like yourself that make the job worth doing. Thank you.

Management
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent the weekend at this hotel for a softball tournament. It's an old hotel but the amenities are wonderful! Didnt have to leave the hotel for a meal or a night of cocktails. After the first night we were wishing we had our three kids. The pool area is amazing and all the vending machines and video games were a nice touch. The staff were wonderful and helpful. We will definitely stay here again, soon.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!