“Blown Away By Misery” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1505 North Broadway, Minot, ND 58703 (Formerly the International Inn)   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Minot
Hollywood, Florida, United States
“Blown Away By Misery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I checked in to this hotel because it was supposedly the best in town. At over $150 per night, I expected some quality and service. About half of the rooms are "pool" facing, meaning that they face the swimming pool. During my multi-day stay, I noticed that EVERY DAY, seemingly ALL DAY, they rented out the pool for various parties for children. OK, I don't normally mind children. But it's now 10pm and I can still hear them screaming. It has been like this virtually all day. Due to the oil boom, many hotels are partially or fully booked, so that if you as a general traveler check in, you will likely be stuck with a pool-facing room.

I've been having severe allergies and used my kleenex box in the room. The laundry people don't replace it, leaving the low-budget black plastic box - supposedly containing a tissue box - empty on top of my sink ...

Someone wrote that they "didn't have to leave the hotel" for a "meal"… This is truly unfortunate, except for what must be the simplest of tastes.

The worst element of the "Grand Hotel" experience is the restaurant, Primo. Please don't patronize this restaurant, unless you want inflated prices, terribly rude service, and disgusting food. Unfortunately, I have been to this restaurant numerous times, since others in Minot seem to believe that, because it has tablecloths and an Italian theme, it must be good. With the oil boom, people are absolutely knocking down the doors of average places in town like Applebee's and the Olive Garden, which are indeed fabulous by comparison, and whose parking lots are overflowing with patrons. The International Inn is a convention spot, and could benefit by actually hosting a real restaurant. Far from the "night spot" it appears, even from the beginning, it is abrasive. One waits at the desk for a prolonged period for a table, even though there are many empty spots. No adult employees seem to be present. Eventually, a teenager will seat you and shove a glass of water in your face. I should have known that it would be a gruesome experience by the lack of clientele on a busy Saturday night in town. Sadly, I've had numerous entrees here including several pastas, fish, and steak. They are nearly unpalatable. Tonight was the piece de resistance! I had the Bruschetta appetizer, replete with dried, rock-hard sun-dried tomatoes on cheap untoasted bread with some melted cheese on top.

When I retired to the restroom for less than 5 minutes, my glasses (left on the table) were gone! Even though the waitress, Lorilee was around, I had to summon her to find out that - in my brief bathroom break - they had assumed I had run out on the tab and were going to clear my table, even though I had a full, unconsumed glass of wine and the entire disgusting Bruschetta dish! She retrieved my glasses from the front desk.

When I told Lorilee that the Bruschetta was disgusting, she did nothing except say "sorry". No offer to make it right. No offer to try another appetizer. No explanation of the bizarre glasses-confiscation and assumption that I had just run out on the bill!!

While paying at the front, the teenager-in-charge obviously cared nothing about my complaints, nor did she offer to contact her manager or take any further action. The food is disgusting! The service is rude!

My advice about this hotel: stay away unless you love screaming children and bad restaurants! The Holiday Inn Express is much better!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GrandInternational, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. All comments are always welcomed. We have spoken to the Primo staff that helped you that evening and they join me in my apologies for experience. We will take this experience as an opportunity to make improvements.

Again we offer our apologies that you were not pleased with our property. If you would like to discuss the matters further, please feel free to contact me directly.

701 852 3161

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
displaced
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am currently in this hotel this week as a family who is STILL displaced by the flood. Our service overall has been above and beyond. Cleanliness and staff has been nothing but helpful and accommodating to our "special circumstances". I cannot thank the staff and most of all GM Mr. Mello enough for the environment we are currently in and they will never know how much it means to our family to have a sense of peace for the week we can afford to stay. I'm blown away by the reviews I've read, and I myself, am hard to please. These negative reviews MUST be written by overall angry people that just need something to complain about. This hotel has newly remodeled rooms that are SPECTACULAR and for my children, fiancé and self are glad we found a place with a sense of family and caring nature and hope we are able to stay longer. Thank you Grand and your name is nothing short of "fitting". The Welsh's will forever return with pride and a sense of comfort knowing we get the best service possible. If ANYONE has a complaint I'd like to hear it directly from you fore I have YET to find something to complain about.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GrandInternational, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us with your review. As we appreciate all feedback, we are ecstatic to read your touching review. It is people like yourself that make the job worth doing. Thank you.

Management
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent the weekend at this hotel for a softball tournament. It's an old hotel but the amenities are wonderful! Didnt have to leave the hotel for a meal or a night of cocktails. After the first night we were wishing we had our three kids. The pool area is amazing and all the vending machines and video games were a nice touch. The staff were wonderful and helpful. We will definitely stay here again, soon.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife planned a baby shower on 8/3/13 and it was held by the pool. The service staff was amazing. We forgot a punch bowl; they provided one. We forgot a corkscrew; they opened our wine. Id like to personally thank Devon, who said he just recently started but was knowledgable and willing to help. The price for the poolside room was $175. Seems high but we were able to have the party by the pool without charge and the service by the staff was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
jamaicanlovers
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My biggest complaint comes from our 3rd night. Wedding party, loud music, no help from staff! At 11:45, after already having to evacuate the hotel because of a fire alarm (caused by a fog machine by the same wedding party!), the loud music continued with the security guard saying he couldn't do anything about it. I would never chose this hotel again. The management obviously is not concerned with being a "grand" hotel...only a mediocre one.

• Stayed June 2013
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I think they rent the very large indoor pool area for birthday parties, ect. I like kids so I thought it was great. Our room was spacious and comfortable. It could use a update as the bath fan was very noisy and fixtures were dated. We ate dinner at their restaurant and the food was delicious. Had bbq ribs and the slab was more than I could eat. Breakfast was also great. I would stay here again if I return to Minot.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing the pool area. Strong smell of clorine and the sound of children having th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GrandInternational, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We thank you for your comments on the fan in the bathroom. We are in the process of updating rooms and this is something that will be addressed as our updates become complete. We hope that we give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Again thank you for your feedback!

Sincerely
dona vista florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This is the 3rd day that we got back to our room at night & discovered no service! So once again we called the Front Desk & they sent someone down with fresh towels, etc. But who would think it would happen 2 more times after we complain the 1st time? The only outstanding employee was Shawn Thomas, who should teach Customer Service to the rest of the staff. This is the 4th hotel we've stayed at during our 10 days of travel & by far the worst one. The check-in girl didn't even know if they had any rooms with sofabed, which is what I ordered on line, so gave us a rollaway. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GrandInternational, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. All feedback is welcomed. We have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping department and assure you the matter is being addressed. My housekeeping department joins me in our apologies for the oversight. We hope in the future you a willing to give us another try.
If you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.
Jim Mello

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!