“NOT THAT GOOD!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Minot
USA
“NOT THAT GOOD!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Not what I expected out of Holiday INN. I stay in the Holiday INN Express all over the country and even in Canada as it is my hotel of choice. The Holiday INN Express, in Minot does not meet the minimum standards that I have come custom to. The first thing is the lady behind the front desk was borderline rude, my check out receipt was not placed under the door in the morning, but the worst thing is the cleaning lady just barged in my room with out knocking or announcing herself. Next time I have to visit Minot I will stay at the Sleep INN.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
West St Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We stayed in the King Size Suite. The room was clean and very nice. We had everything we needed. The only problem was they advertised HBO and didn't have it (this may have been due to the digital TV conversion). I also thought I read about ordering movies but that wasn't available either. However the flat screen TV and other available channels were more than sufficient. The staff was great - they answered all questions, gave us recommendations for area restaruants and directions. Breakfast was good - better than a continental breakfast. The eggs probably shouldn't have set out under the lights so long - they were drying out around the edges. I would definitely go back there again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We just returned from a two night stay at the Holiday Inn Express. This was our first time staying at this hotel.

Location was easy to get to, across the street from Super Walmart and close to everything else interesting in Minot.

Hotel looked fairly new. Our room was very nice, new furniture and a newer look. Never had any problems with cleaning, noise or any issues. We stayed in the Suite so it had a King size bed and a pull-out couch. It also had a fridge and micowave which was nice.

Breakfast was the standard free Holiday Inn one and it was very good. Not alot of seating but we always got a table.

Pool was fairly small but worked for us to play with our 7 year old. You get towels for the pool at the front desk.

We found the price to be very good when we booked off their website and that was before you factor in the free breakfast.

We will stay here again the next time we travel to Minot.

Dave

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tatum
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

I am a Hilton Garden Inn / Hampton Inn fan. Sometime in the past year, I discovered Holiday Inn Express and have added their hotels to my list. I am willing to pay to get a good night’s sleep in a decent bed, to have nice towels and a clean room with decent amenities.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Minot for two consecutive nights, a Wednesday and Thursday. We would have booked a longer stay, but every single room in Minot was sold out for Friday and Saturday night, which worked to our advantage, because we were ready to leave the Holiday Inn Express.

First of all, in order to have a fridge/microwave, you have to spring for a suite. We had to settle for a two queen bed suite. I wish we’d just gone with a regular king room – but alas, I assume that bed would have had A RUBBERIZED MATTRESS PROTECTOR on it, too! The first night I couldn’t figure out why the bed was so crunchy and uncomfortable, when Holiday Inn Express beds are typically heavenly. Take the sheets off and pull off the mattress protector! I assume these are on the beds because they expect children to wet the bed? There had obviously been children in that suite before because both arm chairs had huge stains on the seats, both of which appeared to be spilled baby bottle stains. The couch also had stains on it.

The bathroom, which featured the nice amenities like the shower head and big fluffy towels, and the cinnamon scented toiletries, had a toilet that dripped constantly, a toilet seat that was loose, a seriously moldy and smelly shower curtain, a broken hair dryer and one of the vanity bulbs was out.

You get less attention if you stay consecutive nights – they didn’t change the seats even though one bed had gotten some very obvious chocolate stains on the sheets from my boyfriend’s late night snack. They didn’t replace our coffee cups. They definitely did not vacuum, which I guess didn’t surprise me since another guest had tracked enormous quantities of mud in the back door and up the stairs, and that dirt stayed there the whole time we were there. One morning another guest had spilled Raisin Bran all the way down the hall – and it stayed there, too.

There were no towels in the pool area or the exercise room. There were bins for used towels, and each held a small quantity of used towels, but there wasn’t a single fresh towel available. There were children very obviously under the age of 16 in the pool area, unattended.

If I had no other choice (which appears to be a constant issue in Minot) I would stay here again, but I don’t think the manager runs a tight ship.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Regina - Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We "stayed" here one night in March 2009, while driving from Minneapolis to Regina, Canada.
We planned to stay at this hotel., and finish the last 4 hours of the drive the next day.
We checked in and the front desk girl was very friendly, and gave us a little welcome good bag.
The hotel looks brand new.

Once I got to our room, I fired up our computer, and found there was a blizzard warning for Minot and all of North Dakota. So we decided we'd better leave, and continue the drive to Canada while we still could.

When I asked the girl at the front desk if she could just charge us a cleaning fee, or day rate, she said, no problem - there would be no charges. We were very impressed by that.

So we didn't really stay overnight - more like 30 minutes. The room was large and the bed really comfortable. Everything was pristine, and as I said, I don't think it's been open long.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Minot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

Minot's newest hotel which means climate controls on the heater/AC that work great. Also, very nice linen and beds. Comprehesive selection of breakfast items. Only drawback is a small pool area. Overall, it was an inviting place to stay.

• Liked — size of suite
  • Disliked — small pool area
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here----we had booked a room for a week but left 2 or 3 days early. We got into the room after a long drive and I went into the bathroom and noticed short hairs in the bath tub. I checked the bed and there was hairs on the sheets and they felt used....I used to be a maid and I know this means the sheets weren't changed and the bathroom wasn't cleaned. I didn't want to raise a stink and have the maids wreck my stuff while we were out so we just chalked it up to a mistake. We slept on top of the sheets and the next day I asked for new sheets on the bed. We came back at the end of the day and I found the room exactly as it was on our arrival. The bed was made but sheets were dirty and so was tub. Also, we had eaten some free cookies for the lobby and left a few crumbs on a little table by the lounge chair and when we came back the crumbs were on the floor. Very VERY lazy maid practices. I was glad leave early. Usually the Holiday Express brand is awesome, but I'm never using this particular one again. Totally gross!

• Liked — lobby cookies
  • Disliked — gross dirty sheets and bathtub
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minot South? Share your experiences!