“Small hotel with friendly staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Minot
Regina, Canada
“Small hotel with friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed here at the end of April 2014 and found the hotel to be clean, quiet and comfortable. It's quite a small hotel, and the room we stayed in seemed to be quite small too, but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The continental breakfast was great, and there appears to be coffee (even decaf!) available in the breakfast room at all hours! The staff was friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that there weren't enough plug-ins to charge all our electronic devices, and similarly, there was only a small round table instead of a desk in the room we were in.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

There must be something in the air or water in Minot that makes the people warm to other people. It's not only the staff of the hotel but also the guests. Every person and I mean EVERY person I met inside and outside the premises of the hotel was very cordial. I have not experienced that in any hotel.

The check in process was fast and a pleasant experience. And when I needed something, Sarah was very prompt at giving it to me. However, when I saw the notice near the elevator that said "Pardon our appearance........." I braced myself for whatever shape the hotel was in. The entrance and the dining area were alright and nothing amiss there. The elevator floor had some smudges on it and I kept thinking, what else? Well, the hallway was okay and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Maybe they are doing the renovation in another part of the hotel yet. Well, the facility's appearance still holds up to the standard of cleanliness and livability despite the work they are doing there. You are forgiven for your appearance.

There is one quirky thing I noticed about the signs which made me confused for a moment. Upon emerging from the elevator on the 3rd floor, I saw the arrows pointing to the right for the other rooms. Then I saw that for my room, 325, the arrow pointed downward. What? Do I have to go back down and room 325 is not on the 3rd floor? It was only after I thought that they skimped on the signs and did not put another one on the wall to the left of the elevator so that the arrows would point to the left to where the room was. The downward arrow means to the back of me which needs a little mental calisthenics to decipher.

Anyway, for a facility in renovation a very good rating is still excellent. Just keep the arrows simple.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Yorkton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at this property May 16th and 17th 2014. We have stayed here before, but this is our first review.
At the time of booking we were told that they were renovating the top floor, yet we heard nothing save a small amount of movement one night. The beds are comfortable, pillows ample(Not the tiny in vogue ones you get in some hotels). Staff were friendly and very helpful. All in all we had no complaints. We were treated with respect the moment we crossed the threshold of the hotel and left with no regrets on our mind. If there would be anything I would suggest to the management, it would be to have the continental breakfast start a little earlier in the morning. My wife and I are early risers and could not take part in the morning breakfast because we were up and gone earlier than the start of breakfast.

Room Tip: We like top floor rooms because there is no one above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all the Holiday Inn Express, Minot has to offer and I will be sure to pass along your compliments to my staff.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spent one night here this past week, and it was great. Perfect location with plenty of restaurants nearby, and a big Walmart just across the street.

Friendly staff both when checking in and out. It was nice to be greeted with a smiling face and some personality. So many hotels lack this nowadays.

My only complaint is that the elevator carts don't fit easily into the elevator. We had a lot of things, and stayed on the 4th floor.

The breakfast was pretty good. I enjoyed the eggs, sausage and pancakes. Everything was warm and fresh. Thumbs up! A notch above other HIE we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if you have a lot of things, because the luggage carts are a pain!
Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Only real issue was breakfast. What business hotel starts breakfast at 6:30? It was not out until exactly 6:30. Other than than it was fine other than a non functioning remote and some noise which is typical for a stay in Minot .

• Stayed April 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear pudelpointerman,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience with us. I am pleased to note that you have a good stay at our hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I am sorry that our breakfast service did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We always book at this hotel when we come down to Minot to fly out to Arizona. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express over night. I think the price is great, and it is clean and new. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It is great being right across from Wal-mart and close to so many other stores, and restaurants, especially with a child. I will continue to book at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Although we have stayed a number of times previously at this hotel and been perfectly satisfied, this last occasion was a disaster.

We has originally booked with Expedia to stay that night at the Holiday Inn Express in Bismarck. We experienced vehicle issues that made it impossible to use that reservation, so we phoned Expedia to change the reservation to the Holiday Inn Express in Minot South.

The lady at Expedia phoned the hotel in Bismarck to cancel the reservation, and confirmed that she had made a new reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Minot South. I received a confirmation email/revised itinerary to this effect from Expedia minutes after my phone conversation with them.

However, when I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express Minot South to book in to the hotel, I was told that I had no reservation. There were rooms available, but if I wanted one, I would have to pay for it (again, as I had already paid Expedia). Alternatively, I could phone Expedia, sort it out with them, and get Expedia to make the reservation.

I chose to phone Expedia. They had already sent me a confirmation for the reservation by email. I figured, how long could it take?

When I reached Expedia, they confirmed that, notwithstanding they had sent me an email confirming the reservation, there had been some problem (they were not clear as to what the problem was). They agreed to send a new reservation. They made a separate phone call the Holiday Inn Express Minot South to get the email address to which the reservation should be sent. They sent the reservation.

I waited at the front desk for the reservation to arrive. I waited some more. Expedia sent the reservation again. Expedia confirmed the email address with the Holiday Inn staff. It did not show up.

Finally, the Expedia person suggested faxing the reservation to the hotel. The Holiday Inn staff provided the Expedia staff with the fax number for the hotel. The fax failed twice before it finally arrived on the third attempt.

Please keep in mind that the Holiday Inn did not offer THEIR PHONE to resolve the difficulty with Expedia. They expected me to use MY CELL PHONE.

It took an hour and a half on the phone with Expedia before the fax finally arrived. As I am Canadian, and am charged a roaming rate of $1.45 a minute when making calls in the United States, the cost of the phone call to Expedia alone will be more than the cost of the room.

To top it off, when we got to the room, we could not log into the wifi with the standard method at the hotel. When we phone the front desk for alternatives, none of the alternatives we were give worked.

In the morning, we had some discussion with the front desk of the difficulties that we had experienced. We were given to understand that we would be sent a card that would discount our next stay at Holiday Inn, but to date it has not arrived.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear LatinDude_13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with a third part intermediary prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minot South? Share your experiences!