“Surprise in the bed!” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minot, North Dakota
“Surprise in the bed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

From the outside, this hotel looks fantastic, and it had great reviews. Four girlfriends and I thought it would be the perfect place to stay for a bridal shower weekend, especially with the two-bedroom/two bathroom option!

Booking was easy, as was check-in. However, when we went up to the room, things were not so great. Upon walking into one of the bedrooms, I noticed something sticking up in the bed that looked neatly made. I pulled back the sheets to find a yucky bottle of body oil, part of some sort of wrapper, long black hair, and a hairbrush. It was also clear that it had been slept in. I immediately called the front desk, and the man offered to put us in another room. We went down to the front desk, and instead of offering any sort of compensation or discount, he joked that a guest probably made the bed. Um...does this mean that the sheets don't get washed or changed? He also informed us that they have been having "problems" with the cleaning staff and were hoping things would change with the hiring of a new manager.

Our new room was better, but it was hard to shake the knowledge that our room might not be clean. After some pestering, they did discount the room for us. Later on, we did find a used pillowcase between the sofa and the wall in the new "clean" room.

Breakfast was ok...we were there about 9am, and they were running out of most things, including forks. We were rudely told they just didn't have anymore, so we ate our omelets with spoons.

Overall, the rooms are nice, and very fitting for groups and/or families. However, the place needs help in the cleanliness department, which I would think would be the highest priority.

**I gave a poor location rating as it's not on maps, and there are no signs on the bypass indicating when to turn.**

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I want to thank you for the review. I am glad the booking and check-in were easy. I am also glad you mentioned the rooms were nice and worked well for your bridal shower weekend. Your review of the cleanliness of the room is important to our staff as we want to ensure that every stay for our guests is clean and enjoyable. I know that the staff offered to move your room, reduce your rate, and offered a gift certificate to the HBar as a result without hesitation. I do want to apologize for all you went through and hope that you will find your future stay with us enjoyable and exceeding your expectations. We take pride in offering the best rooms to our guests as our previous reviews state and please know that this is a unique situation. It is very important to us that we continue to improve on areas that need focus and we will continue to do so in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

From the very start we were treated kindly. The hotel front desk lady was so cheery and friendly and offered her assistance right away. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was nice and big, Not cramped at all, and we stayed on the fourth floor so we had vaulted ceilings as well. The windows in our room were just like home...Not your standard windows. I also love the location, Its like a castle on a hill. The breakfast buffet which was free, Was the best I have ever had, i realy enjoyed the french toast. I would stay here again in a heart beat. I am grateful that Hyatt House is finally in Minot.

Room Tip: When staying here, Try and get the fourth floor so you can have the beautiful vault ceilings and a b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Wow, thank you very much for the wonderful review. Your description of the hotel was very detailed and the "Castle on the hill" example is just what I thought when I first saw it as well. We are very glad that you had a wonderful experience and we would love to have you stay with us again any time. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This is the best hotel that gives you a home feeling. Couldn't ask for a better staff. Although, the address was not on GPS hotel staff made sure I had a sufficient address to use that brought us directly in front of the hotel. My only complaint is the dinnerware were filthy. Housekeeping never checked the dishes or silverware. Other wise the hotel is excellent and laundry was free and clean with great appliances. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your review. I am very glad to hear that you had a great feel of home away from home. We certainly want to make sure that our housekeepers keep up with everything including dishes. I do apologize for that. I hope we can have you with us again in the future and we can exceed your expectations. Thank you so very much for sharing your feedback.
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Hyatt House was an extremely nice hotel. It opened 2 months ago in Minot. it is one of 10 new hotels that opened in the last 2 years. The price was great, and would stay here again. I took my daughter and 2 grandchildren with me for a weekend of shopping. The breakfast had a made to order omelette bar, plus cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt and the best coffee i have had at a hotel in a very long time. The beds were very comfortable, the room stylish (we had a suite) and the price we paid was one of the cheapest in a long time. My negatives are, very small, i mean small pool and had a hard time finding as it is new and not on the GPS, and could not see the signs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very glad that you all were able to enjoy our great breakfast and go shopping. We do know our pool is not that big however we have added jets and the ability to swim in motion as two alternatives inside the pool. We hope to provide more kids pool toys as well to make the interaction more enjoyable for the children. I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. I appreciate your feedback very much! Thank you!
Williston, North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt House a few weeks ago, my 9 year old son forgot his Kindle fire, that he had just received for his birthday in the room.. Called in and they said they had not found it. Today the manager, David Wick, called me and said that they had recovered the kindle and it was available for pickup or could be mailed to us! Awesome customer service and very nice rooms! Perfect for our family of 6, had two bedrooms both with tvs and their own bathrooms plus living room with tv and hide-a-bed and nice kitchen, which is very hard to find anywhere! Definitely recommend and will stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We are very happy that we were able to help recover the lost item and we were very happy you were able to enjoy your stay. Whenever you or any friends of yours wish to travel East to Minot from Williston, please let us know as we would most certainly like to have you stay with us again.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Clean, comfy, Great breakfast and free laundry :) Loved the giant elevator since we bring alot of luggage. Walking distance to the grocery store which was nice since we had a full size fridge. They were really new and still doing work around but it was still very nice.

• Stayed July 2013
HyattHouseMinot-GM, General Manager at Hyatt House Minot, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We were happy to have you stay with us and look forward to having you with us in the future.
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Clean, friendly, freshly built, great breakfast, wouldn't have to leave the facility if want hospitable, relaxing getaway. One thing that stood out for us is they had a bit of maintenance going on and informed us individually with a letter. I like that! Rather than be disappointed and have to flood the front desk with complaints, they were upfront a d honest with us. It was quickly resolved and we weren't affected at all. Free laundry machines and plenty of exercise equipment. Definitely will revisit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is certainly nice to hear such nice comments. We do feel it is important to inform our guests if we have any issues happening. I am glad you felt that the hotel was a nice getaway and I look forward to having you stay with us in the future again.

Been to Hyatt House Minot? Share your experiences!